It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are they even allow to do this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I mean thats really close flyby next to the carrier. Looks like the wings could have clipped on the landing platform.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by deltaboy]

[edit on 2-7-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
That link don't work, dude. It just takes me to the photobucket main page.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
That link don't work, dude. It just takes me to the photobucket main page.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

Hmm thats weird, going to check and see whats the problem with the link.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yes I would like to see the pic.
just copy the url and insert the image, are you allowed to do that?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Can you guys see it now? Because I see it after a couple of tries now.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I think he is farther away from the ship than he appears. the camera was zooming. Kinda like taking a photo of a person standing in front of the moon and the moon looks real big.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It works, and it's an old pic.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I think he is farther away from the ship than he appears. the camera was zooming. Kinda like taking a photo of a person standing in front of the moon and the moon looks real big.

That would have been true except to say that those sailors on board as well as including the landing platform in the pic shows that its really close instead.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Total hotshot idiot. Of course this is against the rules, pilot probably lost his right to fly b/c of this stunt.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Maybe it was against the rules and maybe it was not, since we do not know the back story it is hard to comment on it. For all we know the pilot in question could be leaving active service and this was his last flight...

Look at this picture of a B-52... Yes it is authentic and no it did not crash.

Or check out this video of an F-14 fly by...

Notice that everyone on deck seems to know in advance what is about to happen. I'm sure the Air Boss did too, yet the fly by was done anyway. In this case I do not think it was against regulations.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Notice that everyone on deck seems to know in advance what is about to happen. I'm sure the Air Boss did too, yet the fly by was done anyway. In this case I do not think it was against regulations.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by WestPoint23]

Yeah I saw that video. There was another one similar to that except one was F-14 and the other was an F-18 doing it upside down together really close.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think the situation is somewhat like in this video I uploaded.

-link-

This looks very similar to one event which once lead to the death of a female pilot. She tried to land an F-14 and didn't make it. the plane crashed in the ocean. Anybody remember this?

[edit on 3-7-2007 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Its a great pic - but its definatly farther away than it looks.

global aircraft puts un swept wingspan at 64 feet.

As you can see in my rather crude copy paste job in that image the aircraft appears to have a wing span that roughley equals 7 times the height of the fella in the fore ground, aproximate his height to 6ft (7 x 6 = 42 ft)

I cant be bothered to work out the trig ATM but from the position of the camera there appears to be a differance of apx 22 feet - at a guess that puts the F14 something like 100 foot beyond the dude in the fore ground.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I actually saw a report for that fly by the pilot who was removed from flight operations for about 20/30 days because he did it with out primission. He said in the email back to the contact that he liked the shot enough though that he though it was worth it. I don't know if that is 100% true information but the photo is genuine.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't think that pilot got in trouble for the flyby. If you google Dale "snort" Snodgrass you will probably be able to find a little history behind the photograph. The fellow in the picture with his hands behind his back is a big shot admiral of some sort. Dale Snodgrass has more flight hours in the F-14 than any other pilot. I hope that helps!

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
No they are not allowed to do this. In fact I believe the pilot was grounded for a while. I believe he said that it was worth it.

At least that's the information I got from a caption that came with the picture years ago when I first saw it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well it seems Boone is right. Snort seems to be the one that pulled off this photo while doing a demo. The myth that the pilot got grounded is probably due to well what would of happened had this pilot done it with out consent of the controller.

Q:That shot off of the America is very widely used….most people seem to initially think it is either an edited photo, or a risky maneuver. What was it?

A:It's not risky at all with practice…it was my opening pass to a Tomcat tactical demonstration at sea. I started from the starboard rear quarter of the ship, at or slightly below flight deck level. Airspeed was at about 250 knots with the wings swept forward. I selected afterburner at about 1/2 mile behind and the aircraft accelerated to about 325-330 knots. As I approached the ship, I rolled into an 85 degree angle of bank and did a 2-3 g turn, finishing about 10- 20 degrees off of the ship's axis. It was a very dramatic and, in my opinion, a very cool way to start a carrier demo. The photo was taken by an Aviation Boson's Mate who worked the flight deck on the USS America. Just as an aside...the individual with his arms behind his back is Admiral Jay Johnson, the immediate past Chief of Naval Operations for the Navy.

www.sponauer.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Once you make it into the "driver's" seat of a Tomcat, F16, F22 or in the old days an F-4. You have a butt pumped full of bravado. Usually this wears off quickly after your first good brush with death due to your own shenanagans. If you overide logic & continue to be a "hotshot" you either become famous or more likely grounded or dead.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Oh well that clears a lot up. I was never sure if the caption was right or not. But now I know. By no means did I want to say it was an impossible feat, just what I had read.

Thanks for the correction and yeah it's pretty cool.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mizzu
Once you make it into the "driver's" seat of a Tomcat, F16, F22 or in the old days an F-4. You have a butt pumped full of bravado. Usually this wears off quickly after your first good brush with death due to your own shenanagans. If you overide logic & continue to be a "hotshot" you either become famous or more likely grounded or dead.

All very true Mizzu but they are all so trained to fly their planes at the edge of control and yet not lose it. Also Snort has the hours and the training to know what he can and can't do. There are lots of pilots that fit your discription mizzu in the military but there are lots that don't and its unfair to make a statment like you claim.

Also Boone has U2Ued me a site with a link to a show that Snort did 2 years ago where he is in his F-86 sabre and pass between to light poles on the apron. Dangerous yes but cool as ever. Thanks again for the link Boone.

www.alexisparkinn.com...

[edit on 22/08/06 by Canada_EH]

top topics

join