It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How old is the Earth and Universe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
This is a question for religious people who read the board. How old is the Earth? How old is the Universe? I hear alot of people telling me that according to the bible the Earth is only "X" years old. The most popular, it seems to me, is around 12,000 years old. I could be way off on that. I have definitely read and heard other dating according to religion.

Does the bible actually give an indication to the age of the Earth and Universe? If so, how old is this place according to the book?

I know that christianity is probably not the only religion of people posting on this board. So for those of you who are of other religions. The same questions can apply there as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
This is a question for religious people who read the board. How old is the Earth? How old is the Universe?

In Wicca, there's no HighHolyDeity making pronouncements about this. So we go along with the current scientific evidence.

Ditto the Jedi religion, various Pagan religions, Native American religions, Pacific Island religions, the Bah'ai, and most of the other religions of the world.

Now, the Hindu religions are interesting because they actually go along with one of the models of current scientific thinking; that the universe always was -- it is created, dies, and is reborn. No beginning, no end.

And remember, the ONLY Christians who have a short-term date on the Earth/universe are the Biblical literalists who believe everything literally (I know one who claims to believe that because the Bible talks about storehouses of snow and rain in the heavens, that there's invisible windows in the sky where rain and snow is stored. This is one of the problems of being a literalist (you have to believe some very silly things)... but his other option (believing that some things in the Bible are metaphorical and some are outdated) are more emotionally horrifying to him.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Seapeople was indeed a great SP episode. But on a separate note, AFTER someone answers this question... how do you explain the Dinosaurs, and fossils, and other stuff we find that dates to tens of thousands and millions of years back? Mammoth bones?

Also, if "something" can NEVER come out of nothing, that means if there was ever NOTHING there'd ALWAYS be nothing, so that also means the universe is exactly infinite years old
Is that not proof? Maybe not the universe, but at least the stuff it was made of! But let's see what religion has to say on the topic. And check out this picture too...

THIS is where your commandments came from. Moses got tablets from aliens
And the rest of religions were possibly derived in a similar manner! Check out www.ufoartwork.com (posted in another post already also)

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have serious problems with literal interpretation of the bible. I am just truly curious on this matter. Why would God let there be any type of contradiction in the dating system? He's begging for people like me to question him...... Or maybe the christian interpretation is incorrect.

I think that if you choose to believe in any particular religion, you shouldn't believe so blindly that you turn your head to the incredible discoveries and advancemenst that we as humans are achieving. It almost seems like an excuse not to think logically.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
LIL, I totaly agree. There are far too many contradictions with biblical dating and reality to turn a blind eye too. Even if we were to find out later that the bible was correct, which I dont think we will, I feel it would be foolish to not look at solid evidence over outlandish claims of reality.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It's abit more than 17 billion years. The bible says so.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikromarius

I missed that scripture. And it contradicts others. Care to quote it?

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to hear that one too.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Indeed, Byrd, people who take the Bible literally are on the totally wrong mind track. The Bible wasn't meant to be literal, but symbolic for something else. Anyways, on how old the Earth is? I would go with scientific thinking too, but on the Universe, I fully believe it is infinite, or perhaps there are more than one

-wD

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Very very very very Very very very very Very very very very Very very very very Very very very very.........Old!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krisboton
Very very very very Very very very very Very very very very Very very very very Very very very very.........Old!

Im gonna bet that you are right!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Around 15 billion years old.
Some stars "live" for over 10 billion years and then become Black Holes, there are Black Holes now so the universe has to older then 10 billion years.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

I have done the simple exercize many times earlier. One example is

this post

Blessings,
Mikrm

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by mikromarius]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
That is a serious stretch MIKRM. Where in the bible does it equate those two numbers. The numbers 3.5 years, and 3500 years. If it does not directly state that, then you are making something up in your own head to coincide with reality.

I have heard all kinds of individual interpretations of the bible. "God is outside of time...so seven days to him is thousands of years to us." to quote some. That is an interpretation based on nothing but an individual.

I will rephrase my question.

Does the bible indicate directly as to the age of the earth and the universe? If you interpret nondirectly from the bible to come up with an answer for this, then you are not giving an answer. You are giving an opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
It does not directly state an age but you can get a rough idea from the linage of christ from adam to jesus I think it workls out to be about 6000 and some change.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
It does not directly state an age but you can get a rough idea from the linage of christ from adam to jesus I think it workls out to be about 6000 and some change.

Now, is this derived from solid indications from the bible? I have heard twelve thousand. I have also heard a couple million like above. I know the million year old world is just an individual interpretation. Is this 6000 closer to the bibles intent?

[Edited on 1/10/2004 by Seapeople]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Now, is this derived from solid indicatiopns from the bible? I have heard twelve thousand. I have also heard a couple million like above. I know the million year old world is just an individual interpretation. Is this 6000 closer to the bibles intent?

I know it is based on the jewish calander and they believe the world is just over 6000 years old.

Or you can do it your self by starting with adam and adding the years till you get to jesus then tack a couple thousand and you got it roughly.

I cant remember which part but it is where all the begots are at you can get most of the info there. One of the thumpers should be able to tell you where it is.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

What?

More like 13.7 billion years.

The universe at that time was a scalding soup of atoms and radiation, but with denser regions in warmer spots. These warmer areas evolved into galaxies and clusters of galaxies, while cooler regions drained out to become empty space. The WMAP data pinpointed - with unprecedented accuracy - the universe's age at 13.7 billion years; its flat shape; and its makeup of just 4 per cent "ordinary" matter, 23 per cent dark matter, and 73 per cent dark energy.

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Paradigm,

Are you saying that the bible says the universe is 13.7 billion years old?? If so, where does it say that?

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Paradigm,

Are you saying that the bible says the universe is 13.7 billion years old?? If so, where does it say that?

I was just referring to the new study. I'm not into that creationist-stuff.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join