It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we descending to another Dark Age?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
At first I want it to post this in ATS, but coud not find the right forum. I want it to name it: where all the geniuses have gone?, but then I realize that not necessarily you have to be a genius to invent something that can transcend your generation and make an impact for humanity for years to come as has happen with many inventions over the last 100 years. I think the last great invention was made by Bill Gates, but then again he didn't exactly invented software. We have not made any significant advance in any fields of science since how long? All we got are theories. We haven't cure cancer, AIDS, or many other illnesses Some people said that most of our advances were made because of war, others say because of the space era, but we still going to space and we still having wars, so where are the advances?

Are we descending in to another Dark Age period or are we in the Research Era? What do you think is affecting our evolution more: Einstein,capitalism, goverments, or........?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I personally don't know where we are headed. I don't think it's anywhere good though.

There are too many theories, too many beliefs and too many people who claim to have the truth, yet, have contradicting ideas and beliefs.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I think that there is many factors that are going to prevent us from getting to that next level as a race. I personally dont believe that religion is one, because religion has been around for 2,000 years and we still have achieve progress, but there are to many forces at work now, that would prevent us from further achievements.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Bunch, I am not one that thinks that religion was designed to keep people in darkness, but it certainly has, at least in my opinion, be used as a method of doing it.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think we ARE headed for a new dark age.

-Look at the use of mercenaries by the US, the "sole superpower." It parallels the decline of Roma, when citizens couldn't be expected to submit to conscription. Heck, look at the regular forces in Iraq; you'll see whole platoons that are entirely hispanic---immigrants who are "earning" their citizenship by armed service. Read "Blackwater" about the rise of mercenary forces, and you'll get my point. The standing imperial army ends up fighting guerilla irregulars in the hinterlands, attacking targets with no military value, just mud huts. Bombing adobe shacks with million-dollar smart bombs.

-Look at American culture, and the total disdain for learning and education. Hip-hop culture despises education and erudition, as does the whole of the media industrial complex. And american attitudes are sold world-wide by the hollywood marketing machine. The scientist used to by a cultural archetype. Now, he is relegated to being a lone evil genius.

- I have a friend who works for a world-famous demolition company. He tells me that 80 PERCENT of his work is taking down NEW CONSTRUCTION. Either the architect is incompetent, or the materials were counterfeit, and have to be removed. he is currently working THREE skyscrapers that will not be built as high as the blueprints outline, solely because they are already unstable, dozens of floors below their planned height. We already cannot produce the wonders of a generation ago. When was the last time we walked on the moon? I was twelve years old . . .

- The rise of a hereditary underclass, analogous to the Roman plebs who didn't work but still demanded "bread and circuses." Because they had the right to elect consuls, the emperors had to appease them, in the very first welfare state.

- The devolped world, which leads the great mass of humanity, has a negative birthrate. This trend is what i believe to be the crest of the population wave. I look for a radical depopulation over the next 250 years, on par with the previous depopulations, which humans experience every 400-450 years: The religous wars of the reformation (17th century). Before that it was the Black death (13th century), and before that it was the anarchy of the 9th century, typified by the depopulations now called "viking raids." Before that, it was the fall of Rome, which had displaced the Selucids, who replaced the Persians, who replaced Babylon, etc., etc.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Starting to sound as though the time is right for a New World Order.

Scary as it sounds, this whole planet needs a good kick up the a55.

We're one good earthquake away from a bright new start.

Bring it on!

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey

We're one good earthquake away from a bright new start.

I know of three events that could do that. Disasters that will cripple the US economy, and focus world economy into Europe and Asia.

First:
A mega thrust quake that runs the length of the west coast.
Running right from the Juan De Fuca subduction zone and down through the San Andreas.
Such activity might also effect volcanoes in the Northwest, and even Yellowstone. :shk:

Second:
A world away, but as fast as a jet plane, Cumbre Vieja could collapse and wash the entire east coast of the US away a few hours later. It would be impossible to save many people, and economic damage would be fatal to their economy.

Third:
A massive event on the New Madrid could also cripple America to the point that there would be an economic shift in the world.

Considering that though, one rock from space could change everything for all of us.

You can never depend on nature to do the job for you. :bnghd:

EDIT: OCD, I needed to tidy some stuff.

[edit on 4/7/2007 by anxietydisorder]

new topics

top topics

join