It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Big Scare In The Lombozo Household Last Night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yesterday we went out and got a solar cover for our pool. A solar cover is basically a big sheet of plastic you put on the pool when it's not it use. It floats on the surface of the water and helps to hold the heat in. So I get it, and put it on the pool, and we pretty much retire for the night. Yep, a nice big bowl of popcorn, and a video my son likes.
So I guess about 10:30 or so last night, my wife says "What was that?" (She has the keenest hearing of anybody I've ever met.) I personally didn't hear a thing. So I go out back and turn on the back lights. It turns out that my dog decided to stroll on the solar cover, and he was struggling terribly. The plastic of the solar cover was enveloping him as he was struggling to swim - a failing battle. Without thinking I jumped in. Thankfully he was in a shallow enough area of the pool that I could touch bottom. The plastic was like a freakin vaccum pack the way it conforms to you. Anyway, I grab my dog, who is flipping out right now - he was definately close to drowning. The solar cover is hindering my movements beyond belief. I grab the struggling animal who is clawing at me terribly, and with every bit of strength I can muster, I yank him out of his watery hell, and throw him onto the concrete which surrounds the pool. I've never seen an animal look so scared. It took me a minute or so to get out myself. But this story has a happy ending. Everybody is fine. My wife tells me that he is avoiding going near the pool, but other than a couple bumps and bruises, he's just fine.
Anybody want a solar cover? I'll sell it to you real cheap................

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wow, that is very scary.It's a good thing your wife heard him and you were able to get him and yourself out safely.Those things sound dangerous.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
For some reason It took me 3 tries to post this reply

Hope your dog's fine, If it was me I would have tried to pump out the water although your waysounds much easier

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Damn, man, good thing your wife has ears of the bat.

I'm glad your dog's OK. Maybe it's time to fence off that pool, though.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Good call MM. Its illegal to not have your pool completely fenced off in Australia. Nothing like that over there for you guy's?. Accidental drownings of children was a major issue here a few years back.
Glad you and the dog are ok Lombozo.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Those coverings are notorious for drowning children. Take it back to the store and get your money back....

I'd rather skim and vac up leaves every day than take a chance on my child's life.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Gosh how scary!

Im so glad your family and your dog are ok,

And how brave you where for just getting in to save your dog,

Ya learn a new lesson everyday in this world, Thank goodness for a happy ending, what a shock it must have been for you all,

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Dude that's a scary moment you had right there! Wowwee! Glad You and Yabasstard are ok.

It's strange, a friend and I were discussing pool coverings v surrounds the other day, and he was going to get a cover cos a surround will ruin the infinity edge that looks over the sea (it is serrrr weet).

He also has 2 youngens so I just sent him your story. Really hope he changes his mind!

You wanna be careful with those bat like ears, they'll be no sneakin down to the frigde for one more piece of pie! *Fridge light* Click "Lombozo Honey are you sneakin pie?"

DOH!!

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Wow Lombozo that is one scary story!!! Well done for getting in there and saving your poor dog, and no more muttering under your breath when its your turn to do the washing up as your wife can probably hear every word!! lol
Im glad everything turned out fine in the end.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Glad everything is OK. Scarey, scarey...

The wife deserves something really nice, dude. Hearing like that...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yikes! I am so glad you and your dog are okay! We used to have a soft cover on our pool in the winter and got a safer one for that exact reason. I could never forgive myself if anything happened to one of my dogs, or god forbid a visitor to our home!

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That is some scary stuff man! Infact that could be the point of no return kind of stuff.
Glad to hear all is good and well though, will or have you already removed the covering???

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
That is scary indeed Lombozo. Good thing everyone made it out OK.

I hope you dont have any small children, as the same thing that happened to your dog happened to my aunts neighbor, almost exactly, but her ending was 180 from yours.

Unfortunately she didnt have the superhuman auditory levels of your wife, and now she has one less child. I would sell that solar cover ASAP.

Keep ya head up.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hey Lombozo,

I understand what you've just gone through, I worked for an in ground pool installation company for 4 years. It was after the death of a young child related to a pool cover that we started carrying and installing a different type of cover.
It's sad that a child had to die for us to change our policy, but death is usually the case leading to improvements in safety.

As I recall the new blankets were of a bubble type that could support the weight of an adult, but things have improved since then.

Please take a look at some of these links, they could save your life.

www.advanced-pool-covers.com...

www.safetypoolcovers.co.uk...

www.dripool.co.uk...

www.aqua-pool-warehouse.com...

The safety of your family, friends, pets, and others, is worth the extra money.
You can always earn more money, but you can't replace a loved one.

Either return that cover to the store or use a bit of ingenuity.
With a bit of wood, a staple gun, and a few nails or screws, you and your son can build a weatherproof fort that you can sleep in on a stormy night. You can turn a bad experience into something the whole family can enjoy for years to come.

Edit: I still can't spell. :shk:

[edit on 5/7/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Wow - I'm touched by the supportive comments here. I really am.
For what it's worth, the solar cover is literally sitting out at the curb for today's bulk pick up. Goin' bye bye.
Dog's doing great. You'd never even know anything happened. He's a great dog, he's a Mutt that we saved from a shelter. His temperament is as close to perfect as you can get, and he is so good with my son that it's amazing. That being said he's not the brightest bulb on the wire, in fact I'm being very kind with that statement - frankly he's kinda dumb. I'm pretty sure that he's completely forgotten about it.
Anxiety - thanks for the links. And your story as an installer is scary as hell.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Wow - I'm touched by the supportive comments here. I really am.
For what it's worth, the solar cover is literally sitting out at the curb for today's bulk pick up. Goin' bye bye.
Dog's doing great. You'd never even know anything happened. He's a great dog, he's a Mutt that we saved from a shelter. His temperament is as close to perfect as you can get, and he is so good with my son that it's amazing. That being said he's not the brightest bulb on the wire, in fact I'm being very kind with that statement - frankly he's kinda dumb. I'm pretty sure that he's completely forgotten about it.
Anxiety - thanks for the links. And your story as an installer is scary as hell.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Wow, that was a close call. Glad to hear you and your dog are okay.

I've got one of those solar covers but I don't think it really works very well, the waters still so cold that it's like being lunged into deep freeze. Luckily my 'pool' is one of those high plastic things.

Again, glad you okay man.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Man, was the pool fenced off? Luckly, my rottwiller is smart enough to not jump in the pool... plus, we don't have a pool. Now my puppy, she's a lab... heh, she wouldn't hesitate to jump right in. That is if we had a pool.

[edit on 6/7/07 by galm 1]

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by galm 1
Man, was the pool fenced off?

[edit on 6/7/07 by galm 1]

Yes there is a fence around the pool, but it's actually around the yard, not tight around the pool.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Was your dog a lab? Labs just love water.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join