It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you being tracked?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Earlier somewhere we had a thread about people being tracked using their cell phones. I just bought a new one today and it has a GPS feature whereby you can be tracked automatically by the network.

The option is there to have it on only in 911 calls, but the default is ON so you are always tracked. The documentaion on it was only a few lines in the back of the manual, you would never know it existed unless you were a geek...

Big brother is here already, we just havn't noticed...

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There is also a ad running here where i live..if for instance you lock your keys in your vehicle..you can call a number and they can send a signal to your car unlocking it..while this appears to be useful..it makes me wonder what else they can do.. imagine if they could kill the ignition for instance in a police chase??useful but i think easyly abussed in the wrong hands!

Now that is worth being paranoid..

Boomslang

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I think that is how the Palestinian leadership are getting bopped off. Whenever they use a cell phone it gives the rockets a target to aim for.

Mind you one time at least the cell phone itself was a bomb, and when they guy used it it blew his head off. Guess we don't have to worry that much to worry about

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is slightly disturbing. Especially the bit about the car gps. Was it a particular manufacturer?

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Someone managed to find a screen in the test section of the phone that shows the GPS, although they couldn't get the actual numbers to show...

www.howardforums.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> thread here...

It seems with the right hack your cell phone can become a GPS device, and transmit that GPS to anywhere...

[Edited on 30-11-2002 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 29 2002 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Someone managed to find a screen in the test section of the phone that shows the GPS, although they couldn't get the actual numbers to show...

www.howardforums.com...

It seems with the right hack your cell phone can become a GPS device, and transmit that GPS to anywhere...

[Edited on 30-11-2002 by Netchicken]

Holy Monkey Shiznitle

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Big Brother is watching.

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This is why I don't have a cellphone...Don't use credit cards...I pay with cash or money order when I purchase anything...If I have to use an ATM (or get a money order), I only use the one at a branch office of the bank where my account is (Don't *have* a checking account either)...My car does *not* have any kind of GPS or "automatic mapping" features (I use a *real* map...Printed on paper)...I never give out my account information (*Especially* if a creditor offers to deduct the amount of my bills automatically) unless I'm the one initiating some kind of transaction (And usually not even then: IMO, if they want my account info, then I don't *need* what they have)...I can jink my IP address, even though I usually don't (Because I don't try to cause trouble with my computer...I mostly use Anti-Infiltration software to cover my own butt from hackers)...

Yeah, I admit that I might not be covering as many bases as I *could* be...It's not like I'm actively trying to *hide* from anybody...Mainly, I just keep a low profile & keep an eye out for my own security against the "intrusive" type...

[Edited on 3-12-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Dec, 3 2002 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Very interesting, MidnightD and it set me thinking about how very difficult it is to be "invisible" in the modern world.

posted on Dec, 3 2002 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Very vigelent of you MD, but in the end who cares? Who suffers but yourself?

I do all you avoid, but it doesn't worry me, I don't carry cash, I use auto payments, my phone is gps,
etc, etc,

But what are you afraid of? the knock on the door in the middle of the night? or is it some sort of unspecified paranoia....

If they want to "do" something to you, they don't need your bank account or anything like that, just a white van and a couple of guys.

No matter how much cash you carry, you could not last longer than 2 weeks in our society if your bank accounts were frozen. So you are only prolonging by a very short time any unspecified action taken against you...

... live a little....

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
This is why I don't have a cellphone...Don't use credit cards...I pay with cash or money order when I purchase anything...If I have to use an ATM (or get a money order), I only use the one at a branch office of the bank where my account is (Don't *have* a checking account either)...My car does *not* have any kind of GPS or "automatic mapping" features (I use a *real* map...Printed on paper)...I never give out my account information (*Especially* if a creditor offers to deduct the amount of my bills automatically) unless I'm the one initiating some kind of transaction (And usually not even then: IMO, if they want my account info, then I don't *need* what they have)...I can jink my IP address, even though I usually don't (Because I don't try to cause trouble with my computer...I mostly use Anti-Infiltration software to cover my own butt from hackers)...

Yeah, I admit that I might not be covering as many bases as I *could* be...It's not like I'm actively trying to *hide* from anybody...Mainly, I just keep a low profile & keep an eye out for my own security against the "intrusive" type...

[Edited on 3-12-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Dec, 3 2002 @ 08:08 AM
link   
If you're driving along and find you're being followed.. you can always just toss the phone.

If you're being tracked remotely, lets assume there's a reason for it. Who would pay people to track you for the hell of it? If you're involved in anything illegal, I'd guess you wouldn't be using the gps enabled phone; in which case you'd be tracked some other way.

Remember that this technology is here because people are ASKING for it. Like onstar in cars etc etc.. most people don't care if anyone is watching them..they have nothing to be afraid of. They just want the new cool gadgets and are sick of getting lost and locked out of their cars.

posted on Dec, 10 2002 @ 06:03 PM
link   
trust me if they want to track theyll atach thereself to your soul and track and listen to your every waking thought.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
Very interesting, MidnightD and it set me thinking about how very difficult it is to be "invisible" in the modern world.

It has become that much harder to be invisible in 2012. Governments are so far in our lives 'watching us it's almost funny, but it's not. There are a lot more upset people about this as you can imagine.

new topics

top topics

join