It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie Government to buy Trimarans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Given that Customs seem to have gone out of their way to lease the Experimental British trimaran RV Triton I think it likely that they are considering purchasing some of Austal's latest offerings namely the Multi role Corvette and are using the Triton to assess the abilities of the stabilsed mono hull design.

Consider also that the both the Bay and Armidale class patrol boats are built by Austal. They already the runs on the board for Aust. Government projects.

I'm guessing that they might buy between 2 and 4 of these depending on whether they are considering replacing the Oceanic Viking with them as well.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Doubt it, I have personally been on the Oceanic Viking and its one of the only ships they have under contract that can hold up in the southern ocean. We were in sea state 10 for 3 days on one trip. It was pretty crazy. Not much else can hold up. Even the RAN frigates don't go that far south because of the ice bergs. My guess is that they'll keep the OV for jobs in the southern ocean and use the corvettes for northern patrols. The OV is a Norwegian cable layer but still handles itself quite well in antarctic waters

new topics

join