It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with Explorer Opening....Win98

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hi all,

With one of my home PCs, I've all of a sudden got a problem. It worked one minute, but not since. If I go to open either Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, or even My Computer, it tells me that the program has errored...and will be shut down. When clicking on Details, it says that it caused a fault with tps108.dll.

I can usually fix problems with my computer, but I'm stumped on this one...

Any ideas?

PS-I've already tried to install windows on top of itself, isn't letting me, saying older version...and I can open outlook fine, so I know it's not a connection issue, but a software one...

Thanks!

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I take it nobody's ever heard of this before???

Plan B is to pretty much back stuff up on some cds, and then wipe from scratch, but I'm really looking more for a plan A....

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I had similar problems with my Win98 system right after Microsoft declared they'd no longer support Win98 and I finished with the last "critical update" from their site. Go figure.

I had to reload the whole thing, and I think I missed some folders when I backed up to CD....
:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Damn, that sucks.... I never do those updates just for such reasons... Anyone else got any other ideas? I thought that maybe this tps108.dll file might be the culprit, and that I may have to recopy it or something, at a DOS level....(overwrting the current version of it)....

I don't know, just that it has the websites, and all on it, and it'd be a pain in the ass to reload everything, not to mention back it up...

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Here you go.
www.pestpatrol.com...

Install, update & run both Ad-Aware and Spybot (available from download.com).
A quick search on google revealed that the dll mentionned in your error message is a spyware. Spywares can sometime corrupt a windows installation, so I'm not sure it removing it will entirly fix your problem.

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Thanks, that just may be the ticket!

I did also detect a bugbear virus as well...so I've got to get rid of that one too... Luckily, I've almost finished my recent backup, so hopefully soon...

Sucks to be without internet at home when it's so close to the wedding.....

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Well, installed the programs, and got some functionality back...but still can't get on the web. At least I can get to My Computer now though... I tried removing the Bugbear virus with a Symantec tool, and it did, but also removed the programs infected. Put back IE, and bugbear was right back again...

I'm probably at the point where I need to format/reload...but I really don't want to mess with all of that...it's been a while...

Well, after the wedding maybe, I've got enough to deal with.... I'm going to try and load a different version of IE and see if that will do it... Lost Outlook Express too...

Hell, we'll probably just get a new computer later anyhow....and move this one upstairs....

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Weird...98 works in mysterious ways sometimes...

Maybe you could try to install a different browser, just to be able to get on the net until you format/reinstall everything.

But a new computer is a good idea too, especialy since it would most likely come with XP wich is so less of a pain in the ass...

new topics

top topics

join