It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZSAS soldier to get Victoria Cross

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

NZSAS soldier to get Victoria Cross

www.stuff.co.nz

Prime Minister Helen Clark announced a short time ago that "Corporal Bill (Willy) Apiata of the NZSAS had been awarded the supreme bravery award for his actions in saving the life of a comrade under heavy fire from opposing forces.

Clark said Apiata's actions were carried out despite extreme danger to himself and there was no question he had saved his comrade's life. The action took place in Afghanistan when the SAS was helping US and British forces fight the Taliban in 2004.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
tvnz.co.nz

[edit on 1-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Not only do I have a lot of respect anyone who serves in the NZSAS little alone wins a Victoria Cross. Just a couple of notes for historical interest as stated in the article this is the first Victoria Cross for New Zealand to be rewarded.

Also in an time when far to much focus is put on the accidental Killings of civilians it is nice to see an event like this there is no way that enemy propaganda or people can put an negative spin on this.

Don't expect many details to come out due to security reasons.

www.stuff.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Congratulations to Corporal Apiata and the New Zealand people. I have no doubt that there are many more who deserve such recognition.

In the dim dark past when I used to do shore patrol we always hated coming up against Kiwis. They sure can turn it on. I am glad they are our allies!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I thought that this was noting .

Corporal Apiata, 35, said yesterday that he had given his medal to the New Zealand Special Air Services Trust, a charitable organisation dedicated to the welfare of SAS personnel and their families.

"It is important that the medal is protected for future generations. By gifting it to the NZSAS Trust, I know that my wishes will always be respected."

His decision to donate his medal and not seek material reward from it is hugely generous. It ensures that his VC is protected for future generations of New Zealanders. It can never be sold."

Source

Really the article says it all . I don't even think Apiata was in possession of his VC for a full year before he donated it to the NZSAS Trust. As the article notes Apiata will still wear the medal during public ceremonies .

new topics

top topics

join