It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli docs harvesting eggs fromm 5 year olds ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Israeli docs harvesting eggs fromm 5 year olds ...

www.foxnews.com

Doctors have managed to extract eggs from 5 -year-old girls and freeze them for use when they are old enough to have children.

The scientific advance, which was thought to be impossible, will enable girls suffering childhood cancers such as leukemia to become parents later in life. Thousands are left infertile each year after undergoing chemotherapy.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Just thinking what a scary slope this could lead down. I'm sure there are other uses for these eggs and I'm sure some of these doctors surely see that. Something more could really be going on here. I don't see conspiracies everywhere but ... 5 year olds? Ju8st strikes me as odd.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I can see a reason to do this before a young girl undergoes chemo. or some other medical procedure that would prevent her from procreating when she gets into adulthood.

I've read somewhere, and I hate to quote something I don't have a source for, but isn't it true that females are born with all the eggs they'll have for their entire life ?
They can be harvested and preserved at any time until they're at an age that the eggs are no longer viable.

Males will not produce mobile sperm until a certain part of puberty, but would you deny a male of any age the opportunity to secure his reproductive future because of an illness ?

Please don't take me the wrong way, I'm not promoting harvesting tissue from children unless there is a medical need, you do need to consider the advances in medicine though.
We're moving into an age that having a few fresh cells in storage could be very important to your future. Putting that umbilical cord in cold storage could be your salvation 100 years from now.

Mankind will need to struggle with the ethics as each new situation comes up.

I don't think society will always make the right decisions, but I hope we make enough of them to secure our future.

EDIT: sp

[edit on 1/7/2007 by anxietydisorder]

join