It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What genetic modifications would you like for your child?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I was inspired to start this thread after reading another recent one. On that thread, I posted

I wish my children could be born with gills

and able to see in the dark.

Retractable claws would be good too.

And then I thought: why not, for the pleasure of those who aren't automatically and predictably horrified at the idea of this sort of Lamarcking about, start a thread about what kind of physical and mental modifications -- such as the ones mentioned above -- they'd like to see their children born with?

Well here it is. Discussion of the feasibility and utility of each modification (commencing with the ones mentioned above) is encouraged.

IQs of 200+ can be sort of taken for granted, I think.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I was inspired to start this thread after reading another recent one. On that thread, I posted

I wish my children could be born with gills

and able to see in the dark.

Retractable claws would be good too.

And then I thought: why not, for the pleasure of those who aren't automatically and predictably horrified at the idea of this sort of Lamarcking about, start a thread about what kind of physical and mental modifications -- such as the ones mentioned above -- they'd like to see their children born with?

Well here it is. Discussion of the feasibility and utility of each modification (commencing with the ones mentioned above) is encouraged.

IQs of 200+ can be sort of taken for granted, I think.

I don't think I would be too concerned about modifying 'intellect' or personality temperment. I would want to modify genes, or whatever, to decrease the likelihood of diseases. I would also like to modify so they would have abnormal strength/edurance. I would not make adjustments for "mental disorders".

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
This is how superheroes and x-men will start.
Im all for it but I want my kids to be more of the norm.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I'd want my kids to be able to kill with laser beams that come out their eyes and lift the side of a bus and toss it over. Also the colour of their eyes would be nice.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by carnival_of_souls2047]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

I don't want to disrupt your thread but NO modifications would be allowed for my children. I would hope there is some type of higher power responsible for these things, even though I am not particularly religious. This power should not be trusted with us.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Um how about none?

Getting into a moral grey area with a huge slippery slope IMHO.

Me I want our second child to be healthy without any genetic modification.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Umm... I would like Lazy, argumentative, unsure about their own gender, rebellious, risk taker, questions authority, countercultural, willing to experiment, one red eye and one black.

oh not on the menu?

oh well...umm.... give me the blonde, blue eye Reichkid 1.0 then I suppose...

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Getting into a moral grey area with a huge slippery slope IMHO.

The slipperier the better -- see you at the bottom!

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
Umm... I would like Lazy, argumentative, unsure about their own gender, rebellious, risk taker, questions authority, countercultural, willing to experiment, one red eye and one black.

oh not on the menu?

I don't see why it shouldn't be, but you don't need genetic modification to have a kid like that. The usual unskilled-labour method will do fine. Plus coloured contact lenses for the eyes.

[edit on 2-7-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Lung Cancer. Let them be born with Lung Cancer.

Ok on a serious note...

I'd like them to:

Be able to see in the dark
Strong bones, No bad back or any muscular deformations, Twice the muscle mass, half the body fat, Blonde hair, Blue eyes, lol. cut the last two... or he'd start loooking ayrian (or howver u spell it). Athletic, good immune system, Great eyesight, Farts Helium so we know who's been farting and can blame the right person.... Has something in thier genes which makes it hard for them to get addicted to substances such as smoking, alcohol, drugs, etc.

yes anyways... ;-P

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Maybe its the imperfections of all of us that made us the leading species on the planet. Is not that the argument against what the nazis did. Now you guys want to go through what the nazis would do, but rationalise it your way.

For me no one should bring kids into this world

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I hate to bring you all down to Earth, but intelligence and good looks will be your best assets in the immediate future.

Education is very important, but sadly your appearance is the most important thing at a job interview. Your qualifications are second, and your personality will play a large roll.

I think too many people put too much faith in their resume, and don't practice the art of selling themselves. Let's face it, you're a whore out selling yourself when you look for a job, and what you find is directly proportional to how well you present yourself, and how good you look.

Sad but true.............:shk:

You can't give your children super-powers at our level of technology, but you'll notice that what I posted above is an accurate statement on current society.

Edit: sp & OCD

[edit on 2/7/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Big flaps of skin that stretch between the legs and from the inside of each arm and the torso.

Then if my kid was ever to fall from a great height (as we will all be living in 2km high tower blocks you know!) Then lil Now_Then Jnr. simply goes spread eagle and glides to safty just like a flying squirrel!!

Also I want my kid to be born with horns and a tail just for the heck of it.

Seriously tho, may possably consider genitic modification if health complacations were predicted, I have an eye sight condition, but I would not consider the risk of my offspring devoloping the same condition grounds for modification.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
basically, everything you see on Gattica

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I want my children (and husband) to be free of that genetic demon, "depression."

And fibromyalgia... the pain my daughter goes through is horrible.

..and endometriosis. No woman should be forced to have a hysterectomy to save her life before the age of 21 (my daughter and my aunt.)

...and diabetes.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Absolutely NONE!

As long as my child is happy and healthy, he or she is perfect in my eyes. Why should I want a custom-made child?

Why can't we accept people the way they are, and not try to make them our concept of "perfection". I Agree with Fred, this is something we should stay away from for moral reasons. Mankind's vane quest for what humans think is perfection has lead to some of history's most horrific acts (The Holocaust, in case you were wondering).

Heed history's lesson, STAY AWAY FROM THIS IDEA BEFORE IT BRINGS US ANOTHER HORRIFIC TRAGEDY!

Tim

P.S. As long as people can't learn to accept other as they are and love them, we'll NEVER be perfect as a species anyway. So save your energy in the science lab, it's NOT helping!

[edit on 7/2/2007 by Ghost01]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
An extra long life, and protection from diseases like cancer. An eidetic memory would be very helpful, too, in school and things like that. Also, perfect vision; since I wear glasses, and my entire family does, as well, any kids I'll ever have will most likely be cursed with bad eyes, and I would like to spare them that.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I want a my child to be geneticly scanned and if he / she is homsexoaul I want my child to be geneteicly altered to become heterosexual.
the choice must be open just like the choice to becom transgender also the ability to alter the genetic mutation created by airpolution. ( ther5e is a report out on the internet which claims toxics and airpolution makes man more female-like.)
that is what I want.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Trichromatic vision. That's all.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
To be completely honest, as long as my children are born normal, I'm fine with it. I just really don't want to have any retarded children, or any children with a disease. That might make me sound like a terrible person, but it's the truth. If i had to change something it would be the color of my daughter's eyes. I'd make them a light violet. That would be so beautiful, but then again, if everyone could do it, then a violet-colored eye would become very normal, I'm sure, and nobody would really take as much notice to it as they would today seeing violet eyes.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Welcome to the thread, Pandora

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
I want a my child to be geneticly scanned and if he / she is homsexoaul I want my child to be geneteicly altered to become heterosexual.

Interesting choice of modification, because it's politically sensitive.

If it's okay to protect a child from heritable diseases, as Byrd wished (and I don't suppose many of us would say it wasn't), is it also okay to 'protect' them from becoming homosexuals? And if it isn't okay, why isn't it?

A point to ponder, certainly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join