It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Smoking law from today in public places in England, how has it affected you?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have to say today felt a bit strange, for someone who is not used to feeling like a criminal just for sparking up a cig outside of my house.
I even broke the law today lol, and chucked it to the ground once finished.

Just all seems a little bizarre, i haven't visited a bar since the new law came in, so its all a new experience for me, unlike others who have posted, where there was a law already in place.

I still can remember being able to smoke on the buses and tube, ahhh those were the days....

Joking aside, even though i am a victim of smoking, it is a Scrooge on our society and hopefully within a few generations will be wiped out.

Its like how we look back in history and see when mercury, lead etc was used in housewares, pipeing etc, and how silly we think they were for using that, and poisoning themselves

Smoking is no different, just for me i am hooked, and it is a self inflicted disease within our society.

**Just lights up another cig**

[edit on 1-7-2007 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
Joking aside, even though i am a victim of smoking, it is a Scrooge on our society and hopefully within a few generations will be wiped out.

As a former smoker and the product of parents who smoked I can totally understand your victim perspective. What got you started on smoking could be the same that that gets you to quit.

You say you feel like a criminal? Wait a few years. It gets worse. Here in LA if you were to smoke at the Grove(an Outside shopping center) people will actually walk up to you and ask you to put it out!! I mean you don't have to, you not breaking any law, but in peoples minds out here its already illegal. Remember when you weren't cool unless you smoked? Well the old pendelum is swinging the other way now.

Bars are not as bad as we have outdoor patios to smoke on. Plus everyones drunk and probably want one themselves

Smoking is no different, just for me i am hooked, and it is a self inflicted disease within our society.

I have heard that it's easier to quit Heroin than it is to stop smoking.

**Just lights up another cig**

[edit on 1-7-2007 by kleverone]

[edit on 1-7-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It's the alien's fault.
I just wish that the guys on this site who have
friends on the Star Council or know Milton, will
tell us why the world hates smoking.

They may be cleaning up the air so that when
the invasion takes place, the earth will be nicer.

I smoke and sometimes after a couple of beers,
I smolder.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Also, I always smoke after sex... mustn't go too fast!
Thank you, thank you I'm here all week and don't forget
to tip your waitresses.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by duplicity

I said nothing about the comparison between any of those things. I was simply stating the contradiction you could arrive at. I also did not say that railroads or highways were more or less dangerous. You've refuted something I never said.

As for the rest of your post about civil liberties, I couldn't agree more. My post was not about whether or not we should accept certain government legislation that allows an infringement on liberty, but about the concept of defining the federal government in the way that you did.

Ah, so you see that it is a touchy subject. One that I come out swinging and never worry about the tale of the tape in this bout. But if have followed the Cincinnati Reds, the crowd could use a few smokes and a couple of stiff drinks when the call goes to the bullpen.
Unfortunately to remain complient with Ohio's laws and despite being an undomed stadium there is no smoking at Great American Ballpark. Which says tons about the scope of the laws here.

The various VFW's supported the smoking ban because they thought they were exempt and was looking at the gain in customers to replace the aging WWII vets. Since their appeal for exemption was denied there is talk of repealling the amendment to the state constitution (yeah, the proposal was a direct populous vote for amendment not a statue to the Ohio Revised Code--state law book). Needless to say, the whole thing is being looked at for being removed completely or in part by another amendment. Of course income taxes or sales taxes will have to be increased to make up for the loss in revenue, but has not been anounced yet.

So far the only legal circumvention to stand is a bar/package store allows for consumers to walk next door and freely watch TV or listen to the radio. As no income is being generated, by a pool table nor jukebox or direct sale of anything, people can smoke there as it is not a business. The owner claims that only friends may use the next door facillity so it is not open to the public nor can anyone enter the room or bar without first going outside as they are not connected by any walkway.

But given the tax reforms under former Gov. Taft, Ohio is going to financially collapse with or without the adjustments of sales taxes post smoking ban so in the end it doesn't matter. Those that can leave the state for jobs will do so. Those that can not or will not will have to suffer the repercussions.

I do have the option of moving to another state. Unfortunately for the people of the UK, they would have to leave their country to get away from such a stupid law that surpresses their freedom of individuality and right to conduct their business in the manner they best see fit. Sad that the misrepresentation of facts by the few has created this hostile and potentally devestating environment for the many.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Does anyone have any ideas of the plans of any tobacco companies? I presume their profits will slow down signifcantly with the ban, i'm sure they will have some kind of plan to combat it or appeal to new and existing customers? I'm sure something will be in the pipeline that isn't exactly legit.. but what? I think I read a thread on ATS atleast a year ago claiming that cigarette companies are actually increasing nicotine in cigarettes to make it harder for people to quit.. just an idea!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well they did up the niccotine content in some American name brands, which lowering the content actually ups the sales as the body tries to maintain a certain range of nicotine present in the body. But Phillip Morris (now Altria Group) went the diversification route by buying Kraft, Nabisco and other snack food companies and reccomend which brand names for smokers when they quit and become snackers? Let's not forget Miller Beer, Jell-O, and very large list of beers in other countries.

link

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I have worked retail, and I do not card folks that are over 21. How can I tell? Easily. Drumpy pants and hair on face, #ty attitude and buying smokes and beer, and getting out of the passenger side of the car.

Live in a small town. Notice this crap often. However on fox news a 61 year old man with white hair and a beard in white tried to buy a 6 or 12 pack, and was refused. WHY?

No ID.

This world is pathetic man.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Not their fault? Did the fat just jump up on them? Nah, they had to eat and choose not to exercise properly.

Weight gain and thyroid disorders

Oh and

Ignorance

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I'm only going to ask you this one time. Put it out.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I personally think this is a crock of #. I'm don't smoke habitually, I used too, but I enjoy a smoke when at the local bars around my home. They have smoking and non smoking sections, and theres plenty of ventilation to handle the smoke from the bar and the smoking area. No one seems to complain here in such large numbers, you may have someone say; "can you please move your cigarette the other way" or " to blow the smoke the other way" but no one all out tells me or anyone else not to smoke. I nor my friends have ever been impolite about it, we simply switch hands and continue about our business.

I just think this is such a knee-jerk reactions. This "if you don't like it, ban it" # has got to go!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I wonder what Winston Churhill would have to say about this .....

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I live in Scotland where there's been a smoking ban for a while now. What we've seen here is that a lot of pubs and clubs are losing their customers. Some pubs are on corners where there's nowhere to stand outside and have a cigarette so the regulars are moving elsewhere. Other pubs are putting out tables with little fences around. I've heard of incidents in Edinburgh where there are vans that go around equipped with cameras following people who've dropped cigarette butts on the ground.This was in the local papers a couple of weeks ago -
On the day the ban was hailed a success by the Scottish Executive, opponents stepped up their campaign to have the legislation amended.
Organised by prospective independent Levenmouth council candidates Anne Marie Flack and John O'Brien, representatives from the licensing trade and pressure groups from all over the UK met to discuss the impact of the ban.
Kirkland Bar owner Norrie Martin, also Publican Party candidate for Lothian said: "The ban has been horrendous.
"A lot of pensioners just wanted to come to the pub for a pint, a smoke and a chat. They no longer do that.
"We are now having to cut staff hours. We fear for our business, every landlord does.
"We've even had developers asking us if we want to sell up."
Barmaid at the Kirkland Bar Lorraine Cunningham has been in the business for 22 years.
She said: "I have never seen the bar so quiet. I serve about six people during the day when I used to serve about 30-40.
"I disagree with the ban totally. It's affecting all our livelihoods."
Publican Party candidate for Mid Scotland and Fife Ian Robertson believes the legislation was rushed through.
He said: "There was no consultation and they never listened. They argued it was a danger to health but now children are at risk because parents are being forced to smoke at home.
"We are not looking to lift the ban, just to be able to provide rooms for smoking."
Bill Gibson, of pressure group Freedom to Choose, believes a balance between choice and protecting health can be reached.
He said: "We wish to have the legislation amended to include designated smoking areas with air filtration and linked to a regulated indoor air quality standard.
"We know this is the right way to go. They say they are protecting bar staff but the indoor air quality standard would do this."
Mrs Flack added: "The smoking ban in public places in Scotland is probably one of the most controversial and contrived pieces of legislation the Scottish Executive has been guilty of spinning to date."
But the ban has been hailed as a huge success by the Executive.
The most comprehensive study in the world on the impact of a smoking ban is being carried out in Scotland. Interim results showed 46,466 efforts to quit the habit during the year.
First Minister Jack McConnell said the ban had been a major success and would create tangible long-term benefits.
He said: "Even after one year, Scotland is a healthier place and people, both in work and at leisure, are able to avoid the atmosphere which in the past caused them health problems."
Last Updated: 27 March 2007

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knights
i'd like to gain support for an anti-obese law to be brought forward.

But that's just silly. People being overweight don't make your clothes smell, or cause people to litter everywhere with buts, or blow smoke in your face.

This isn't about banning what you don't like. It's about banning something that has a negative effect on people and the environment.

How about we ban people who write silly posts with lame insensitive attempts at humour?

[edit on 2/7/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hal4511
I wonder what Winston Churhill would have to say about this .....

Who the hell cares?

It's funny all you smokers playing the poor victim.
I'm not for government control of things in general but living in California I've seen the benefits of banning cigs. Like I said if you smokers had some common courtesy and consideration for others, you would prob still be free to poison your lungs at will. It's the inevitable result of doing the wrong thing.

It's great to not have to smell stale smoke everywhere you go.

Yes you have the right to smoke, but no you do not have the right to effect other people with your habit.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
actually the habit is maybe the reason why we smoke... the government has allowed the tobacco companies to get us 'hooked' and now we're the one's feeling persecuted for obeying our habits. Forced to feel like criminals!!!!

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin, yet heroin addicts can get their fix from the nhs, yet us smokers are forced to go and stand in the freezing rain whilst all the ex smoking brigade are quick to tut and frown at our expense.

Yes, I'm addicted, yes I enjoy a smoke... why am i feeling like a criminal?

Where is the evidence that passive smoking causes cancer? where? I've never seen it...

[edit on 2-7-2007 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
the government has allowed the tobacco companies to get us 'hooked' and now we're the one's feeling persecuted for obeying our habits. Forced to feel like criminals!!!!

Why is it the governments job to stop you from developing a bad habit? How can ppl claim that they didn't know they were addictive? I new pretty quick when I started smoking cause I craved them, the first sign of addiction...

Blaming the gov, which I don't support btw, is just a way to shift blame away your own lack of self control.

I will admit that peer pressure, commercials and the tobacco industry itself can be blamed for 'pushing' an addictive drug that causes health problems over a long period of use.

But you know whats ultimately to blame? See the quote in my sig...

[edit on 2/7/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Smokers can stop all the harrassment and discrimination by taking two steps.

1. Carry a little tin to take all their ash and butts.

2. Stop exhaling.

Easy.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sorry I'm late, I've been outside having a ciggie!

I agree it's a terrible smelly, life-choking habit that
costs the individual a ton of cash and the NHS more.

They should be forced to stop smoking, maybe ban tobacco,
maybe heavily fine people seen smoking and if they can't
stop the habit, then they should be stoned by non-smokers.

Heck, drinking alcohol is just as killing, drunk drivers, livers the
size of basket-balls and the domestic beatings.
That should be next.

In fact, stinking up the place with car fumes is just as bad,
the little kids who can't breathe due to the stinking diesel
cloaking the cities.

I myself have a terrible habit... I enjoy using ROFLMA in
my postings. I'm having counciling.
You know how it starts, using it sparingly.... the occasional
LOL outside school with my friends.
Then came the bad times, I'd leave work early or not turn
in at all, sitting at the computer with sweating palms and
licking the sheen from my upper lip.

ROF... come on, get it together and stay on topic, go to