It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Smoking law from today in public places in England, how has it affected you?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I thought id put up this thread as a no smoking ban comes into action from today.
I have noticed a few No Smoking signs going up around the area, with warnings that from today it is illegal to be smoking in most area's, well public.

How will this affect you?, i write this as this has barely come into force, i am curious how this will be enforced, they reckon if you chuck a cig butt on the floor thats an £80 fine right there.

I am a dedicated smoker, and yet being a considerate smoker, i wonder what affect this will have on my bad habit?

Will we become a minority that huddles in corners trying to have a sneaky cig, will it go underground? lol......

Please add what effect this has had on you, being from the uk, good or bad, as a smoker or not.

Relavant links.

Link.
Link.
Link.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by Denied]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
An £80 fine for dropping a cig butt? Are you sure on that one? Seems extremely unfair to me..

I wonder if it covers "roll-ups", handrolled cigs, using a bit of cardboard or a filter tip?

Where are people supposed to chuck their butts?..

We mite start seeing alot more bin fires if this law is true..

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
An £80 fine for dropping a cig butt? Are you sure on that one? Seems extremely unfair to me..

I wonder if it covers "roll-ups", handrolled cigs, using a bit of cardboard or a filter tip?

We mite start seeing alot more bin fires if this law is true..

Well lets see.

Smokers will be liable for an £80 on-the-spot fine for stubbing out cigarettes in the street when the smoking ban comes into force across England on July 1.

Link.

I have to say my local news agent starting selling portable ashtrays, i laughed, remarking why someone would want to walk around with their cig ash, he told me he had sold lots, with the new smoking law coming in, by carrying your cig butt, you dont technically make the offense, you would carry out an offence by dropping it, didnt seem so silly then, but i didnt buy one, i refuse to carry around my ash......

Edn

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This does not affect the UK, its an English law and applys only to England, i just thought id clear that up as the title may be misleading to others who don't already know this.

That said the rest of the UK(Scotland, Wales, N Ireland) has had a ban on smoking in public places for a while.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I quit in January this year as much because I had wanted to for some time as the new law. My hubby still smokes, as do my colleagues. Tonight we sat in the rain while they smoked their last fags on the premises (a posh restaurant) - they've been told that in future they will have to go into the lane to smoke, even though customers will be able to smoke in the gardens.

I do really appreciate the healh benefits of not smoking, and really hope that not being able to smoke in pubs etc will put the youngsters off - but I hate this Nanny State that says that you can't even smoke outside if its considered a public place.

I have 4 kids and 2 stepkids who love it that I no longer smoke, but I'm not about to give my husband hell because he still does. I think freedom of choice matters here - so long as you're not inflicting it on anyone else.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
This does not affect the UK, its an English law and applys only to England, i just thought id clear that up as the title may be misleading to others who don't already know this.

That said the rest of the UK(Scotland, Wales, N Ireland) has had a ban on smoking in public places for a while.

Title changed, are you a smoker?, or are you pleased you don't have to put up with it any more, presuming your from England.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
To me it seems like someone in goverments 'wonderful idea' to get back some of the revenue lost from people stopping smoking. So basically they are saying that there's less chance of getting prosecuted for fly tipping or dumping a sweet wrapper than putting a cig but down a drain cover etc...??

How exactly are they going to enforce this if people refuse to pay the fines? They can't jail everybody as the countries jails are already overcrowded.

Of course this also means outdoor events such as music festivals such as glastonbury will suddenly be no smoking as well..even though out doors its would still be someones working enviroment. (Anyone notice how the goverment DIDNT mention that???)

What about for example the rolling stones...keith richards has been playing with a fag hanging out of his mouth for decades. Suddenly he can't smoke on stage anymore in the UK....whats the bet he does anyway and promptly gets fined etc for it?

Wayne...

Edn

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

Originally posted by Edn

Title changed, are you a smoker?, or are you pleased you don't have to put up with it any more, presuming your from England.

I don't smoke, I live in Scotland and ever since the ban was put in place, everywhere has just been, well, cleaner. Businesses are getting more revenue now because more people will go out as they don't have to put up with the smoke anymore. Not to mentioned last time I checked there was actually an increase in people trying/looking to quite smoking which is a good thing as its not nice watching someone you love slowly dieing because they smoked.

the secret web if they refuse to pay fines, there fined £2500, possibly prosecuted and if they don't pay that fine the debt collectors come and take away everything they own.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
the secret web if they refuse to pay fines, there fined £2500, possibly prosecuted and if they don't pay that fine the debt collectors come and take away everything they own.

Please tell me what that has got to do with smoking?
As a smoker i smoke pretty much where i please, as long as its tolerated around me, now, with a total ban, i don't know where to smoke?

I feel like back at school, if i get caught what sort of seriousness will it be dealt with?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

An £80 fine for dropping a cig butt?
Where are people supposed to chuck their butts?...

Well not on the floor whether it's legal or not. The floor is not a trash can or an ash tray...lol and it's because of people who can't respect the planet, and other people, that stupid laws like this get passed in the first place. If people can't do the right thing by themselves, then the state is going to have to hold everyones hand and pass stupid laws. It's smokers own fault with their selfish habits that has caused this. Yes you feel you should be free to smoke as you please, where you please. But because that freedom was abused, by not considering others, then you got what you deserve. Freedom is not freedom when it encroaches on other peoples freedom.

Edn

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

Originally posted by Edn

Please tell me what that has got to do with smoking?
As a smoker i smoke pretty much where i please, as long as its tolerated around me, now, with a total ban, i don't know where to smoke?

I feel like back at school, if i get caught what sort of seriousness will it be dealt with?

You can smoke anywhere except for public buildings, this pretty much means any building that you do not privately own.

If your caught smoking in a public building its more than likely the security guards will tell you to put it out and smoke outside, you refuse then they might get the police involved, most places don't allow smoking anyway just pubs and restaurants.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Well not on the floor whether it's legal or not. The floor is not a trash can or an ash tray...lol and it's because of people who can't respect the planet, and other people, that stupid laws like this get passed in the first place.

Most cigarette butts are nothing more than fluff and a bit of paper.. give it a year of outdoors weather, and it will have disintegrated pretty much. Shame the same can't be said of beer cans, booze bottles, fast food polystyrene, plastic bags etc..

Its almost as ridiculous as charging someone for littering by dropping an apple core..

It's smokers own fault with their selfish habits that has caused this. Yes you feel you should be free to smoke as you please, where you please. But because that freedom was abused, by not considering others, then you got what you deserve. Freedom is not freedom when it encroaches on other peoples freedom.

How has it been abused any more than any other habit our society has?!?

You've just jumped on the government bandwagon, caught up amidst a sea of anti-smoking propaganda..

I agree smoking should be banned in enclosed public places, unless the owner of the shop wants to accomodate smokers at his/her own choice, like pubs for example.

But fining for dropping a bit of biodegradable paper? Thats just beyond stupid.

Also, second hand smoke... you are more likely to develop lung cancer as a result of air pollution from cars, especially diesel fumes, than from tobacco smoke..

Ban all the diesel drivers!

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It makes my air cleaner to breathe .. yes .. it can be felt all the way over here in America.

Seriously though ... we've had those laws here for a while. I like them. My air is cleaner and my daughter, who has asthma, breathes better.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm a smoker but if you don't like it just tell me and I'll find somewhere else to do it, I don't need Downing street to tell me where I can and can't.
The total ban should never have come into place business owners should have the right to decide whether they run a smoking establishment or not!!!
A simple sign stating "THIS IS A SMOKING ESTABLISHMENT" should have been enough to suffice.
As the old saying goes "Caveat emptor" Buyer beware!!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

How has it been abused any more than any other habit our society has?!?

We're not talking about any other habits, we're talking about cigarettes. If you have a problem with something else that gets abused than take the steps to get it banned like they are doing with cigs. One bad habit doesn't justify another...

You've just jumped on the government bandwagon, caught up amidst a sea of anti-smoking propaganda..

Government band wagon? I was just explaining why they're banned.
And as an X-smoker I support less smoking, it's a dirty unnecessary habit that effects not only the person smoking. You all should have had more consideration for others, and judging by your reply here you have none.

But fining for dropping a bit of biodegradable paper? Thats just beyond stupid.

It can take up to 15 yrs for them to break down. But that's a mute point, my shyte breaks down faster than that, so I'm gonna come shyte on your lawn, OK? Use a freakin trash can. You're just making excuses to be lazy.

www.planetark.org...

Also, second hand smoke... you are more likely to develop lung cancer as a result of air pollution from cars, especially diesel fumes, than from tobacco smoke..

I agree, but it still doesn't mean I want to smell your cig smoke, or see your buts all over the place.

Ban all the diesel drivers!

Yes I would be for that too, but what has that got to do with cigarettes? It's not this issue of this thread.

[edit on 30/6/2007 by ANOK]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

And as an X-smoker

There's nothing worse than a EX SMOKER!!!!

shyte[quote/]
please don't try to circumvent the censors! I'm sure you can put forward your argument without resorting to profanity

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It is of my opinion that the only role of a federal government is to provide for the common defence by maintaining a military, to be a final appeal in matter of dispute between local governments, businesses and the people. And to establish basic laws and collect taxes for the funding of these basic services. Everything else should be held and maintained on the local level such as social services, law enforcement, prisons and such.

Anti-smoking legislation should be a local issue not a federal one. And quite frankly, should be solved by consumer ecconomics over legislation anyways. Simply put, a sign on the front door stating if the business is smoking or non-smoking should suffice. Want an non-smoking pub? Dig in your own pocket and start one up. Don't be a whining little child and beg for government to proide for you by forcing all businesses to comply with your wishes.

My home state of Ohio has gone communist with this anti-smoking BS law. Believe me when I say that should I decide to open an establishment there will be two signs on the door. 1) Warning- this is a smoking establishment. 2) These premises and patrons protected under The Second Ammendment to US Constitution. Anyone that wants to start problems will be asked to leave or removed by force. Heh, I might even call it Freedom Hall.

Sorry for all the people in the UK, but the best way to handle people with their hand always out and crying for more is to remember sometimes they just need a kick in the pants to remind them that they are not the only ones in the world and that the world does not revolve around them.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
It is of my opinion that the only role of a federal government is to provide for the common defence by maintaining a military, to be a final appeal in matter of dispute between local governments, businesses and the people. And to establish basic laws and collect taxes for the funding of these basic services. Everything else should be held and maintained on the local level such as social services, law enforcement, prisons and such.

If that is the only role of a federal government, doesn't that imply that any human rights are a local matter? If so, then it would be legally "justified" to allow inhumane acts of torture in one area of the country while the population of another has freedom from such acts. If not, then two things have happened: one is that your idea of a federal government is incomplete, the other is the consequence of freedom being national that people have a right to not have harm inflicted on them even by something as "trivial" as second-hand smoke.

[edit on 30/6/2007 by duplicity]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Its great, it means I will no longer need a shower and change of clothes if I come into contact with them because these junkies stench transfers to anyone who comes into the same room as them.

As for the fines for littering, thats great because its the biggest problem of littering along with gum. After a couple of weeks, you wouldnt be able to see the ground where they stand outside buildings to smoke.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by executioner
There's nothing worse than a EX SMOKER!!!!

Bit of a blanket statement, no? What do you mean nothings worse?
What you really mean is, nothings more annoying to those who still choose to suck on garbage than those of us who had the strength, will, and self control to quit.

Sounds more like jealousy to me...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join