It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible prophecies are bogus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
So-called biblical prophecies are nonsense.
There is no more truth to them than to the prophecies given by Nostradamus,mother Shipton,
Edgar Cayce
or any other famous seers.
Take for example the book of revelations.
Some have seen this apocalyptic book as being prophetic of the so-called end times.
However in the past many theologians have looked at this book and interpreted it
differently.

Instead of refering to the future they saw it as basically refering to a then current situation
for the early christians and the church.
For example the anti-christ has been identified by some as refering to Nero and Babylon as
none other than the Roman Empire or the city of Rome itself.
Also according to some accounts certain contemporaries of Jesus Christ expected the 2nd coming
to occur within their own lifetimes rather than centuries away in the distant future.

There are others who have seen or interpreted references in the old testament as refering
to Jesus Christ the messiah.
Even here the evidence for this is disproven.
Many jews then and now have never interpreted the so-called prophecies in the old testament
as refering at all to Christ being the messiah.
As some of the links below point out Jesus did not fulfill the messianic expectations of the jewish
people.

jews-for-allah.org...

www.armageddonbooks.com...

www.geocities.com...

messianicprophecy.netfirms.com...

www.access24.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk...

members.tripod.com...

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by yogibear]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Just like much of the Bible actually. The most obvious one is the mistranslation in the OT of "young woman" into "virgin", and later used by the gospel writers to fake a prophecy that never was there in the first place.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by yogibear

This one is REALLY funny. Kind of like the Nebuchadrezzar propaganda network. Made me think FOX news wrote the Bible. Last I checked, Egypt is just fine, and was never ruled by Nebuchadrezzar...so yup,

Egyptians 1: Babylon 0.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
well the thing about not believing in revelation is a biatch cause ur risking alot if ur wrong lol

and yogi im taking an Old Testament survey class now and one of our main focuses is the prophecies about jesus and its crazy all the obvious truths it show but there are also many many more liek a couple layers deeper it really is pulling me closer to God and how his truth is perfect. Oh and im not talkin about that bible code nonsense

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
What's that expression?....Don't knock it till you try it! I've heard countless people believe someone trying to disprove the bible, but won't take the time to seee the truths behind it. If you don't want to believe, that's your life, but those bent on proving that its wrong are just angry demon possesed people...or maybe they were molested by priests and this is how they deal with it.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by yogibear
So-called biblical prophecies are nonsense.
There is no more truth to them than to the prophecies given by Nostradamus,mother Shipton,
Edgar Cayce
or any other famous seers.
Take for example the book of revelations.
Some have seen this apocalyptic book as being prophetic of the so-called end times.
However in the past many theologians have looked at this book and interpreted it
differently.

Instead of refering to the future they saw it as basically refering to a then current situation
for the early christians and the church.
For example the anti-christ has been identified by some as refering to Nero and Babylon as
none other than the Roman Empire or the city of Rome itself.
Also according to some accounts certain contemporaries of Jesus Christ expected the 2nd coming
to occur within their own lifetimes rather than centuries away in the distant future.

There are others who have seen or interpreted references in the old testament as refering
to Jesus Christ the messiah.
Even here the evidence for this is disproven.
Many jews then and now have never interpreted the so-called prophecies in the old testament
as refering at all to Christ being the messiah.
As some of the links below point out Jesus did not fulfill the messianic expectations of the jewish
people.

jews-for-allah.org...

www.armageddonbooks.com...

www.geocities.com...

www.access24.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk...

members.tripod.com...

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by yogibear]

Excuse me, but just because there are varying theories on what the prophetic scriptures of the Bible are alluding to does not PROVE your decision. You have made statements in this post that are far more unfounded than any interpretation of scripture.

Sorry, charlie, but a "my opinion is" or an "I believe that" would have been HIGHLY applicable here. As it stands you have set your self up for the following:

I think you're full # to make these statements as fact.

AND

there is no "book of Revelations"...there is the book of The Revelation and I'm assuming you're referring to that. This mis-naming of this book leads me to believe that your unfounded statements also lack understanding and research.

Bad form.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Yeah I always hear people say oh oh in Revelations... but it's really Revelation, but I never say nothing.

^^

Funny thing is he provided no fact, just speculation.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
yogibear

I'm with ya! one of the most glaring ones is Matthew 2:23 where he says Jesus will be called a nazerene to fulfill what was said by the prophets, however there is no such prophecy in the old testament. I am not surprised that the jews rejected him ( although imho, they should have embraced him as the wonderful teacher that he was)

It is an act of virtue to deceive and lie, when by such means the interest of the church might be promoted. Bishop Eusebius (260-339)

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
oh btw, I'm new here, so hello everybody

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Yeah I always hear people say oh oh in Revelations... but it's really Revelation, but I never say nothing.

Yeah, most of us (at least me) just say it because it sounds better....

Interestingly enough though, I don't remember "Christ" or "Jesus" mentioned anywhere in Revelation. All I can recall, is mention of the seven angels, and the "Lamb of God". Many of course, simply use that, to make the connection, but it's an interesting point, not to be so lightly dismissed....

btw: hello jadestonedoll....

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Where do these people come from?

there is more and more of them everyday?

everyday you have to refight the same battles over and over,

it is getting depressing.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
From mamaship>

If you don't want to believe, that's your life, but those bent on proving that its wrong are just angry demon possesed people...or maybe they were molested by priests and this is how they deal with it.

Those who try to disprove this are not necessarily demonically possessed people and not all of them have
been molested by priests.
This is just your biased or distorted views.
If you can disprove my statements feel free to do so.
But don't start making unfounded wild accusations about
being demonically possessed or being a victim of a priest's
sexual molestation.
If you can't offer a better argument than this then don't
even reply to this post.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I've read Revelation a few times. I really think some things in there are prophecies and will come true. Its kinda scary to read it and it makes almost perfect sense if you look at it the right way.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
From Valhall>

Excuse me, but just because there are varying theories on what the prophetic scriptures of the Bible are alluding to does not PROVE your decision. You have made statements in this post that are far more unfounded than any interpretation of scripture.

Sorry, charlie, but a "my opinion is" or an "I believe that" would have been HIGHLY applicable here. As it stands you have set your self up for the following:

I think you're full (c) to make these statements as fact.

AND

there is no "book of Revelations"...there is the book of The Revelation and I'm assuming you're referring to that. This mis-naming of this book leads me to believe that your unfounded statements also lack understanding and research.

Bad form.

Book of the revelation or book of revelations.
So I made a slight error by making a plural out of a single
noun.
This hairsplitting of yours does not prove my statements
unfounded.

If you had pushed yourself to even read the links I have
posted then you would see that my statements are not
unfounded.
Especially when they are based on an interpretation of
scripture.
An interpretation that sees no basis for believing that
the bible predicted anything.

But if you and the rest of the gullible crowd want to swallow whatever some televangelist preaches to you
without question,then go for it.
In the meantime you can sit back and comfortably wait
for the rapture.
Then you won't have to worry about suffering anymore
trials and tribulations.
Because then you can go to that pie in the sky heaven of
yours and live happily ever after.
Just like they do in the fairy tales.

It's amazing sometimes how some grown up adults in
this society of ours still want to cling to this childish
concept of a heaven.
Where everything will be perfect,everyone will get along
without conflict and there will be absolutely no pain or
suffering.
And life will be one unending state of bliss.
Sounds better than any pipe dream I've heard.

new topics

top topics

join