It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know anything about this photo?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
How do you estimate that weknowyouknow? I'm not doubting you I just have know idea how you came up with the answer. How can you gauge the figures distance from the little girl?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Nice Dig Hope_for_reason, I never heard this one before

The "spaceman" looks really "puffy" and smooth on the surface as if its some kind of tall air filled balloon, perhaps as a prop for a space theme at a picnic party or something. By looking at the girls hair you can see that the wind is hitting the back of her, making her hair in the back blow forward towards her face and if that is a balloon then that would make sense of why the spaceman looks as if the same wind is making it lean backwards and slightly tilted as the wind hits the front of it. Possible?

Bzzzzzzz

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I never hear of a genuine basis to affirm that the white figure could be an alien.

Not even one.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
BuzzingOn, there are a lot of links to other threads regarding this photo.

See my last post on the previous page for more....

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thanks buzzingon, I agree with your theory thats what I put it down to myself when I first read about it. But the photographer has always said that nothing else was in the shot & he never made any money from the photo.... I guess the most important aspect of this photo is if you believe that the photographer is telling the truth or not.

From what I've read about him I'm sorta inclined to beleive he is, the trouble is this only makes more damn questions!

It would be so easy to write this one of by simply concluding that the photographer was just pulling of a time honered traditional hoax on the UFO community.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by Hope_for_reason]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Cumberland 'spaceman '.....
....or photographic anomally?
I personally have no comment on the content of this 'mystery' but I remember the headlines in the newspapers at the time. Click here for the story.

Cumberland Spaceman

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
BuzzingOn, there are a lot of links to other threads regarding this photo.

See my last post on the previous page for more....

Thanks Mechanic 32.

It took me awhile but those links you gave finally worked, the first time I clicked them when seeing your post they came up "can not display web page" ,I went back and tried them a few more times until they finally worked
I must of knocked off some of the server dust thats holding those old posts
One was last talked about in 2003 and the other, well last year 2006 not so new, but that was still an interesting read. I wonder if the ATS servers store every single thread its ever received since the beginning?
: It kind of seems like it!

Back on topic: Thanks for bringing this up Hope_for_reason, I might not of heard of this for a lot longer if you hadn't. I think some of the links in the other thread lead to some pretty convincing "ideas" on what it was though, but IMO I don't really think this can ever be figured out by the photo alone.

Bzzzzzzz

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hope_for_reason
How do you estimate that weknowyouknow? I'm not doubting you I just have know idea how you came up with the answer. How can you gauge the figures distance from the little girl?

The girl is sitting down, thats approximately 2 ft high. The picture taken at a slight decline, to purposely get some sky in above her head. The man that took picture had to kneel down and take the photograph. Now I'm not sure what position, if he was kneeling or sitting, but he is not laying down. You can tell that the picture was taken higher, and from a "looking down" angle. To make the area between her chin and above the flowers, he had to tilt the camera down.

The incline in the hill is going upward towards the left.

If the man in the back had normal legs, his right hand would be at his waist, like he is standing in a superman position, a normal human figure.

If that girl got up and walked over to that man, she would be right at his waist area.

The man is approximately standing about 30 ft from the girl.

If actually went out side and got a tape measure and after thinking this out more clearly I would say the man is somewhere around 5.4

I knew more about the height of Jim Templeton I could use that for reasoning.

Edited for spelling
[edit on 30-6-2007 by weknowyouknow]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orion437
I never hear of a genuine basis to affirm that the white figure could be an alien.

Not even one.

There's plenty of different fortean hypotheses, from ghosts to aliens to dimensional travellers, but there's really no reason to presume it's an alien, it's just a mysterious figure in the background of a photo. You can't affirm that it's anything, especially something that requires more than a little faith to support.

Yeah, it'd be cool if it were an alien, but there's absolutely no way at all to prove it. By first ruling out the obvious, mundane, explanations we can then theorize that it's something less than mundane, but until then, we can't. In all probability, it's just someone who was obscured by the girl at first, and then just left.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay L.
Yeah, it'd be cool if it were an alien, but there's absolutely no way at all to prove it. By first ruling out the obvious, mundane, explanations we can then theorize that it's something less than mundane, but until then, we can't. In all probability, it's just someone who was obscured by the girl at first, and then just left.

If you read the information provided by the father and later again with kodak, he states that he took 3 pictures of his daughter and the middle one has the figure. He also states his family were the only ones there. The animals were over and far out of the way (somewhat scared ). He also goes on to state that the air was charged with electricity. Kodak authenicated the picture as not being doctored and offered free film to anyone who could explain the anomoly.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzingOn
The "spaceman" looks really "puffy" and smooth on the surface as if its some kind of tall air filled balloon, perhaps as a prop for a space theme at a picnic party or something.

Heh. It's called a "fluffy sweater." Just the sort of thing all spacemen need on a blustery day.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus
Heh. It's called a "fluffy sweater." Just the sort of thing all spacemen need on a blustery day.

Exactly. The thing that always puzzled me about the photo is that it looked like someone facing the camera--except for the arm. Now with Rhain's enhancement, it all makes sense. Guy in warm sweater walked by, briefly stopped to watch the proceedings, then moved along.

Rhain, I think the Kodak award belongs to you. I've never seen an enhancement showing what you showed.

Edit to add: The enhancement also shows he's smoking a pipe!

[edit on 6/30/2007 by yuefo]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
haha damn that looks hella creepy!! aww the little girl is cute..but i mean how could someone miss that huge astronaut in the background???

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, its more than likely a hoax story. That figure in the background is pretty dense, if maybe there was some wierd flash of light or Aura of a spirit than I would say ok. but then again i think of the man's outfit and it doesnt add up

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I've never encountered this photo before...thanks. Just like to offer-up a couple of comments on what I see in the great link provided by Rhain. Better Picture

1) The mystery figure is facing away from the camera.

2) The sun is shinning from frame left.

3) The figure's head appears to be turned slightly to the 'right'...exposing the outline of the right ear, or possibly a 'glasses' frame.

4) The right side of the head/face is in shadow.

5) Either the figure is wearing a matching (white?) cap/helmet, or the top of the head is not clearly defined...instead, fading into the backdrop of a distant cloud, or nearby mist.

6) The little girl is dressed for warm weather, which may, or may not negate the 'warm sweater' theory.

7) Most importantly...at least half of the above conjecture could be wrong.

Now what I would really like to briefly address, is the phenomena of previously undetected objects, spontaneously appearing in photos. I have seen numerous photos of anomalous objects (saucers, orbs, ghosts) that reportedly appeared only after the film was developed, or the images were downloaded from a digital camera.

I'm not much of a shutterbug, and I have never experienced this phenomena first-hand. However, someone that I trust has. In her memoirs titled The Wheel of Life, Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross describes taking three photographs (expensive camera) of a pastoral setting while visiting rural Virginia in 1975.

"Three shots: On the first try, I aimed at a hill in front of me, which had woods in the background. Before taking the second photo, I called out, as if in a dare, If I do have a guide and you can hear me, make yourself visible in the next picture. The final shot was wasted."

"Back at the hotel, I repacked the camera and promptly forgot about my experiment"

Later:

"If I hadn't seen the pictures with my own eyes, I never would have believed what was on them. The first was the meadow and the woods. The second was the same exact scene but superimposed on the foreground was a tall, muscular, stoic-looking Indian with his arms folded across his chest. As I shot the photo, he looked straight at the camera. His expression was serious. No kidding around."

"These pictures were items that I would treasure and keep my entire life."

This from the highly regarded, and respected Dr. that endured much early criticism as she attempted to pioneer research in the field of Death and Dying.

The mystery figure in the Templeton photograph will most likely never be explained or proven. I can't explain it...neither can explain most of my personal paranormal experiences...but I think it's wise not to dismiss it off-hand.

Peace &
Good Fortune
OBE1

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Okay- I have no UFO knowlege of any sorts- Well, I did read that latest 'HOT' hoax one lately
. So, for what its worth... I immediately saw a (well toned) black man wearing a sort of golfers cap- staring off into the sky.

But, what stood out at me was that if you view the original OP picture and keep it small- I could see a possible trace of a human figure, as outlined in the clouds almost as if obstructing the complete view a couple of clouds - Closer to the child by proportion, yet still behind her, with arm extended toward the childs' head, and its head facing to the left same as the 'capped man'
But, I did open the link expecting to see something 'weird' without knowing the story, so ...- Can anyone else see the outline?

[edit on 30-6-2007 by nowayreally]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I posted Rhain's enhancement directly to the thread so it's easier to discuss.

Here's what I see:

* He's dark-skinned and well-built.

* He's facing the camera. His forearm is foreshortened, and that combined with the bulky sweater has always made him look like he is facing away, but he's not. In reality, his left hand is probably in his front pocket.

* He's wearing either a cap of some sort, or possibly a hood.

* He seems to be smoking a pipe. I think the distortion to the right of his face is either the smoke or heat signature from it.

But he could also be looking to his left. If so, what I'm thinking is the pipe I can't explain.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I have seen it before and if you look the person or alien in the backround is not facing the camera. look at the arms.so to me it looks like something like a scarf on the head, but just look at the elbows of the figure.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzingOn
By looking at the girls hair you can see that the wind is hitting the back of her, making her hair in the back blow forward towards her face and if that is a balloon then that would make sense of why the spaceman looks as if the same wind is making it lean backwards and slightly tilted as the wind hits the front of it.

I somehow didn't catch this comment first time around. Rather than it being a very bulky sweater, it's the wind poofing it up. That's a good catch. But I disagree about him facing away. It's that poofiness that's creating the illusion. I'm sure he's facing the camera. If he isn't, you have to explain the detail in Rhain's photo.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Could it not be possible it is a woman facing away who is wearing a head scarf? This would explain the details of the scarf and the postion of the arm.

But to be honest it still does not explain the history (if the photoghaper is telling the truth) surrounding the shot this being that 3 shots were taken and that he was certain nobody else was in view at the time.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join