It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concealed weapons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I live in Ohio and they seem close to passing this law to be able to carry concealed weapons. Why? I know there are probably alot of gun freaks around here, but what purpose does a gun actually serve other than to kill? The right to bear arms, has to be on of the dumbest things in the world. I see no point in guns, just for a second, imagine a world with no guns.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think the concealed firearm laws have a point. In certain areas, I would rather that federal authorities issued permits or whatnot to people so that they may defend themselves should the need arise than arrest people for carrying protection in ugly neighboorhoods. Hell, if you don't want concealed firearm laws, what about concealed weapon laws? It makes it easier for the boys in blue to deal with if they have less paper due to person carrying around a knife or baton for protection defending themselves rather than ending up a victim.

DE

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Guns do kill, but what they kill is based upon the decisions of the person using it. Some areas really are bad enough that people should have the right to carry a weapon, especially in the case of areas with high rates of rape. I find no fault in a woman who blows some would-be rapist out of his boots.

I could imagine a world without guns, but my next thought would be to figure out what weapon would replace them like knifes, baseball bats, chains, etc. Personally I would much rather be shot and killed quickly, than be beaten to death by some punk with a baseball bat or cut up and left bleeding in the street.

Also in some states once you have a concealed carry permit, you no longer have to sit through the waiting period for guns, so for those of us who are law abiding citizens its makes it a little easier to aquire that new gun in time for a weekend at the range with friends or the opening day of hunting season.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Before you imagine a world with no guns, you have to imagine a world without criminals, a world without folks who steal, a world without murderers, a world without child molesters, a world without drug gangs, a world without meth, coke, and heroin addicts, a world where everyone has their every need taken care of.

WHEN YOU CAN IMAGINE THAT, I CAN IMAGINE A WORLD WITHOUT GUNS.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dusty
I live in Ohio and they seem close to passing this law to be able to carry concealed weapons. Why? I know there are probably alot of gun freaks around here, but what purpose does a gun actually serve other than to kill? The right to bear arms, has to be on of the dumbest things in the world. I see no point in guns, just for a second, imagine a world with no guns.

when you imagine a world without guns, ill start carrying my sword. now this is what i cant stand, left wingers like you who talk about the right to bear being the stupidest idea ever. if they werent going to shoot you, then they would decapitate you with a blade. and if it wasnt a blade, then it would be a stick. wtf.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Ok maybe I ment this post to be more about humanity than actual weapons. I guess I would just like to see a peaceful world. But this will never happen if we keep ourselfs armed and dangerous.
Also I would much rather everyone carry swords, at least if a violent situtation would arise I would have a far chance........ahhh medevil times.
One reason we have criminals is becuse of weapons, are they gonna rob a bank with their bare hands, NO. Weapons make crime easy.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Ah, but you could use just abotu anything as a weapon. Hell, like the guy says in Pulp Fiction:a guy once robbed a bank with a telephone.

DE

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I live in a world without guns where only farmers are allowed to own shotguns to protect their livestock.

Theres no child deaths from gun accidents.
No school shootings.
I cannot remember when there was any guncrime in my city.

There is no need for me or anyone to own a gun and Im much happier knowing my neighbours dont own assault rifles and machine guns.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Ever hike in the woods in the spring? Away from civilization? Maybe in the mountains? About the time that you were attacked by a bear (unlikely, but a true worry), or a mountain lion (more likely), you would wish you had a weapon to defend yourself.

There may not be gun crime, but I bet there is still just as much crime in general. I believe that guns actually prevent nearly as much as they cause it. I grew up in Montana. Look at the violent crime ratios (per capita) as apposed to other states with more strict gun laws. People dont break into a house and rape a woman if they know they could get shot doing it. They dont rob a liquer store if they know they are going to get shot doing it. They dont mug people if they know they could get shot doing it. Nobody (ok, some idiots) likes to get shot. Sure there is less population in Montana, but there are more guns. The household I grew up in had 14 of them readily available. Every handgun was loaded. We all knew how to use them, and there was a sign on our driveway that said tresspassors would be shot. My neighbors house was broken into. It is a piece of crap house compared to my parents, and the intruder had to walk by our house to get to the neighbors. Why didnt he break into ours? I think it was probably because he didnt want to get shot.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I greu up in the country where the only ones with guns where the bad guys and I dont think that if there where a law like that there, it would still be so. I think theres nothing wrong with it aslong as good and I mean realy good backround-checks are done and the guns provided with child locks or whatever their called. An good training course should
be provided and required too to make shure that peopel know how to use/keep a gun.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
OR... Parents could watch their children, and discipline them. Teach them respect, if not for others, at least form themselves, and authority. If that were the case, we wouldnt have school shootings, and violent crime would drop considerably.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I shall chant the mantra........

Gun do not kill people....people kill people.

A gun is a tool that can be used with dealy cosequences, as is a hammer, a bow, a knife, a screwdriver, or a bowling ball.

BTW, check out the story on www.cnn.com about the 2 people who were mauled by a Mountain Lion in California yesterday. When rangrs finally shot it later that day, they found the chewed up corpse of another victim in the woods nearby. I bet those people wish they had a gun when that big kitty took a shine to their nice, meaty legs......

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pyros
BTW, check out the story on www.cnn.com about the 2 people who were mauled by a Mountain Lion in California yesterday. When rangrs finally shot it later that day, they found the chewed up corpse of another victim in the woods nearby. I bet those people wish they had a gun when that big kitty took a shine to their nice, meaty legs......

A very good friend of mine was killed by a mountain lion. She wanted to carry a weapon, but her husband would not allow guns to be anywhere near "his" household. Had she had a gun, she may be alive to tell about it.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It would be great to live in a world without guns ....if we lived in a world where they were un-necessary. Since we crawled out of the muck the rule has been that the only way to prevent he guy with the stick from taking what is yours is to pick up a stick ....and be willing to use it. Every state that has adopted a concealed carry law has experienced a drop in violent crime.

I grew up in a military famly and there was at least one service weapon in the house. We learned to shoot as a skill. On the other hand we were not allowed to play with toy guns and neither was my son.

The Assault Weapon debate is pointless. You can kill more people with a knike than a machine gun ....if you're ruthless and cunning.

I have lived in the city, I have lived in the deep woods. I have to say that I have stood my ground with a weapon in hand more than once in my life, and am here to write this because of that fact.

Guns are tools ..just like a chainsaw or an auto mobile. Wise use is good ....misuse is bad, period. If you are really worried ...watch out for cars and doctors, they kill more people than guns every year.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I would feel safe if there were no guns period!

Eg. no cops, no soldiers, no spooks, nobody!

but how achievable is that? It isn't.

So maybe everybody should have one, why should some and not others?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hey wait you say you dont like your neighbors having guns.... Check out Switzerland... Every citizen is required to have an assualt weapon and at least one clip of amunition for it. Ever heard of a high crime rate there?

For Gods sakes realize that no matter what weapons people have they will still kill eachother.... Having Guns allows inocent people the chance to protect themselves from criminals... How do laws limit criminals anyways.... most criminals obtain weapons illegally in the first place.

Anti-Gun laws limit law abiding citizens... End of story

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I used to go to SCHOOL with a loaded shotgun in the back of my truck so I didnt have to waste time after school to go hunting. half the boys in school did.

Can you imagane that.

NOONE was EVER shot at my school

We settled our differences with our fists, heck I have had my butt kicked right beside my truck and NEVER thought about reaching inside.

I am armed to the teeth now and anybody trying to steal my property or harm me or my family will get his azz shot off

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
�The Berlin Police President, Count Wolf Heinrich von Helldorf, announced that as a result of a police activity in the last few weeks the entire Jewish population of Berlin had been �disarmed� with the confiscations of 2,569 hand weapons, 1,702 firearms and 20,000 rounds of ammunition. Any Jews still found in possession of weapons without valid licenses are threatened with the severest punishment.

On the evening of Nov. 9, Adolph Hitler, Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels and other Nazi chiefs planned the attack. Orders went out to Nazi security forces: �All Jewish stores are to be destroyed immediately...� �

As we all know, things went downhill from there. The powerful German government had no trouble finding out which Jews owned firearms as the �liberal Weimar Republic� established mandatory registration for all firearms in 1928. A decade after, in 1938, Hitler enacted more laws restricting civilian ownership of firearms.
A frightening example of gun control.

. I am aware that every male Swiss citizen is required to keep their government-issued automatic battle rifle (which happens to be a SIG 550) within their homes. In retrospect, Switzerland�s firearm policy played an important role in deterring the Germans from invading during both World Wars.

�In 1997 Switzerland recorded only 87 premeditated murders and 102 murder attempts. The interesting thing is that only 91 of these offences involved a gun, though out of a total of 2,498 robberies and attempted robberies 546 involved the use of guns. Of particular interest is that nearly 50 per cent of these offences were committed by foreigners. Compare Switzerland's murder rate of 1.2 per 100 000 with Britain's rate of 1.4 per 100 000. Their respective robbery rates are 36 per 100 000 and 116 per 100 000 and bear in mind foreigners committed nearly half of Switzerland's robberies. The contrast between the two countries is particularly striking when we consider that Britain's gun laws are draconian compared with Switzerland's.�

�Studies indicate firearms are used more than two million times a year for personal protection, and that the presence of a firearm, without a shot being fired, prevents crime in many instances. Shooting usually can be justified only where crime constitutes an immediate threat to life, limb, or, in some cases, property�

[Edited on 9-1-2004 by GabRaz]

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The MORE weapons that my neighbors have the SAFER I feel.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dusty

Your ignorance of that which you say is the dumbest thing in the world is staggering. Rather than peck at the computer, you really need to crack some books and learn what people far greater than you'll ever be intended when they wrote the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights have nothing to do with your state and its concealed weapons permit. As a matter of fact, I doubt James Madison would be thrilled about the government regulating that which should not be infringed.

You might not like guns, but your person freedom in this nation is still your personal freedom because there are so many people in this nation that still exercise that right and make it very impractical fro the government to be overtly arbitrary or tyrannical. They rely on peoples' ignorance of the National Heritage for what they do get away with. So, go thank a "gun nut".

By the way, do you call a carpenter a "hammer nut"? What do you call a mechanic? Hmm? As many great minds during the formation of this nation felt that it was every able-bodied man of age's responsibility to own a firearm as a deterrent to arbitrary rule, I'd say they are nothing more than a tool, like a screwdriver, and one that you should own, once you know how to use the tool and have learned for what purpose the tool has.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join