It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car On Fire Driven Into Glasgow Airport Terminal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The driver poured petrol over himself then ignited it. Two men in vehicle described as 'Asian'. News still coming out...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
First off, was is a Cherokee or a Landrover? Depending on the year, Cherokees have a known "bug" that would open the throttle full-bore. A few years ago when I worked in a car wash, it was common to see a Cherokee throttle up on it's own. Matter of fact, at least two of the local car washes and nearby buildings got new garage doors and/or walls because of it.

If that's the case, I think this is an isolated incident that people are looking too far into in order to link to terrorism. Accidents do happen.

Now by all means, I'm not saying that it wasn't done on purpose, but it is very much a possibility that it wasn't.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm glad the British public are not taking this lying down. One of the vehicle occupants tried to run off and a passenger / member of the public had a go at him and tried to restrain him. He got knocked down by the escaping occupant only for another passenger to come up and smack him down. Yes!

source: eyewitness account on BBC.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
First off, was is a Cherokee or a Landrover? Depending on the year, Cherokees have a known "bug" that would open the throttle full-bore. A few years ago when I worked in a car wash, it was common to see a Cherokee throttle up on it's own. Matter of fact, at least two of the local car washes and nearby buildings got new garage doors and/or walls because of it.

If that's the case, I think this is an isolated incident that people are looking too far into in order to link to terrorism. Accidents do happen.

Now by all means, I'm not saying that it wasn't done on purpose, but it is very much a possibility that it wasn't.

From the eyewitness accounts two independant ones one who works at the airport that they definately saw the men pouring petrol over themselves and the surounding area and car.

To be honest this leaves no doubt this is no accident at all. Also that they fought of the police.

Kind regards

Elf.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Furthermore, regarding the eyewitness accounts. IF somebody saw a guy dousing himself with a liquid, flammable or not, at or near and airport, then why was nothing done about it? Wouldn't you think, even as a civilian, employee, or whatever the case may be, you would feel obligated to report that kind of suspicious activity to any authorities or airport personnel?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
An earlier report stated that flames were coming from underneath the vehicle, which may just mean that this was nothing more than a tragic accident.

I'll hold judgement for awhile, myself...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I believe this was after the vehicle had crashed into the entrance and events were happening fast. witnessses report the two men were chucking petrol or home made petrol bombs at the car and around.

BBC witness said there was only 1 policeman in attendance for first 5 minutes of event. I believe the running man was taken down by the public initially.

another witness who saw the vehicle as it hit said it was definitely deliberate as the vehicle swung out first to get the angle and then went into the entrance.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by kickoutthejams]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
which may just mean that this was nothing more than a tragic accident.

That's pretty much what I just heard on either MSNBC or FOX. It was an accident. Although .. if there was an eyewitness saying that someone poured gas all over himself and lit himself on fire ... hmmmm

At this point we are hearing 'accident' used ...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is the sky news link with video
news.sky.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Accident?, im not so sure.

"I spoke to an airport official who seemed to think it was not an accident. He was very angry. He said the men in the car got out and started throwing petrol about - that must be how it caught fire.

Link.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
All eyewitness accounts point towards a deliberate attack. One of the men was seen throwing petrol bomb. They were fighting with police and passengers. Vehicle driven at speed into building. Driver doused self in petrol and ignited it.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

At this point we are hearing 'accident' used ...

Here in the US yes however on Skynews they are painting a whole new picture. As of a few minutes ago SKYnews cameras are not even on the scene everything and all reports are coming from citizen reporters as they called them. Apparently they are not allowing anyone to cross the crime scene tapes within the area that has been cordoned off.

[edit on 6/30/2007 by shots]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by shotsHere in the US yes however on Skynews they are painting a whole new picture. As of a few minutes ago SKYnews cameras are not even on the scene everything and all reports are coming from citizen reporters as they called them. Apparently they are not allowing anyone to cross the crime scene tapes within the area that has been cordoned off.

[edit on 6/30/2007 by shots]

And a Sky reporter has just said that the police have moved the cordons back further.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable. Hopefully we will see some corresponding video from security cameras soon to validate or discount these eyewitnesses.

I'm still open to ideas, but just remember, accidents still do happen even in these times of heightened terrorism.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
jsobecky

I don't think you have this right.

Sky news just reported that the private vehicle was on the portion of road reserved for taxis and commercial vehicles. Apparently, the police were already in pursuit of the vehicle.

For those that missed it in my previous post, you can find the link to LIVE Sky news coverage here:

www.streamick.com...

[edit on 30-6-2007 by loam]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The reports of multiple witnesses speaking to the BBC seems to make it pretty clear that the people in the car tried to fight off the police and bystanders and many also talk of petrol being thrown around . The roadway is also an area reserved for taxis and not the general public's cars.

An accident just doesn't sound plausible from what is being reported at the moment.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
London cars ysterday

Ibiza airport bomb today

Glasgow Airport car today

Could they all be connected?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by torsion
The driver poured petrol over himself then ignited it. Two men in vehicle described as 'Asian'. News still coming out...

Just to clarify, UK people refer to Pakistan/indian people as Asian. Just heard a guy say that on CNN.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
Furthermore, regarding the eyewitness accounts. IF somebody saw a guy dousing himself with a liquid, flammable or not, at or near and airport, then why was nothing done about it? Wouldn't you think, even as a civilian, employee, or whatever the case may be, you would feel obligated to report that kind of suspicious activity to any authorities or airport personnel?

hey this probably took about 30 seconds from beginning when car went into the no go zone outside the main terminal, till the men were in the buiding dousing petrol.... as to the response, even though all airports in the UK are now patrolled by Armed Police the authorities did the right thing and didnt shoot them but arrested them, so we now have lines of enquiry and not just mayrtrs.

As to the members of the public they didnt just report it, but there are reports that some of the public were injured in wrestling the man to the ground who was on fire.

Top respect to them they are heroes... they didnt run but risked their lives for the safety of others.

Kind Regards

Elf

ElfEdit for spelling.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiwynn
Just to clarify, UK people refer to Pakistan/indian people as Asian. Just heard a guy say that on CNN.

Good point! I had forgotten about this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join