It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Applause Link Suggestion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Hi Skeptic,

I was wondering if you might add a feature to the profile pages.

Could you add a feature that will show us a page with all of our messages that were "Applaused"? Maybe add a tiny icon behind the word Applause that would take us to a page showing all of our messages that were "Applauded"?

I know the Applause feature has been taken away, but I would still like to see messages that were applauded in people's past.

Maybe a second feature of this idea could be to see all the messages that the user has given an applause to as well?

Anyway, thanks for the great job you do here, I really admire your PHP and MySQL abilities...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The Applause feature wasn't taken away....

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Oh it wasn't? Sorry for that bit then. That's embarrassing. I thought it was. Just out of curiousity then, here is what I see for your message, but I cannot find the link to applaud your message? How do I know go about giving your message an applause?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Only the staff and FSME can give people applauses.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg
Oh it wasn't? Sorry for that bit then. That's embarrassing. I thought it was. Just out of curiousity then, here is what I see for your message, but I cannot find the link to applaud your message? How do I know go about giving your message an applause?

You are thinking of the WATS vote thingy. It has indeed been removed, and it's been replaced with thread flags and those star thingies you see on every message.
So if you like a thread, flag it, if you like a message, give it a star. Simple and much more visible way of showing your appreciation than a WATS vote, and with the same end results

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Yeah, ok, duh... Sorry for getting Applauses confused with WATS... Scratch all that bit...

Ok, now that that is semi cleared up, Is it still possible to see what messages people have had applauses for? I still think that is a neat feature to be able to see what message I wrote that I got an applause for (yes, I got a pm telling me about the applause, but that was years ago, and what if I deleted the pm and forgot? Then I would like to know what I got applaused for... I would also like to see what contributions other people are making and getting the applauses for as well. Some members have well over 50 applauses, so I would like to read those specific messages, thats all...

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Also, being able to look back and see exactly what brought out an applause might make the quality of writing go up. And knowing who gave the applause would reassure posters that their work was being read.

I would think that a page showing the thread and post plus the date of the applause and who gave the applause would be an excellent idea.

Always looking for ways to make ATS better!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I would think that a page showing the thread and post plus the date of the applause and who gave the applause would be an excellent idea.

We actually already get that with the u2u that is sent out with applauses.

example:

A member of the forum staff, ----------, has applauded your activity on this thread titled, ----------------------- Thank you for contributing to the quality of our forums. You received a --- point bonus, keep up the good work. Do not reply to this U2U.

I save all of those special u2u's.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Mechenic32, you are right, we do get those. But in a long thread, where one may have made multiple posts, it is hard to know just which one was relevant.

Also, not everyone has saved those posts. I too am flattered when one of my posts draws applause, and it would be nice to have that information available should that idea resurface on a much later thread.

It would also be useful to see what ideas others had that garnered applause. This could be of aid in helping new members in putting out quality posts as opposed to inane one liners.

Just an idea.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Mechanic, what if I accidentally deleted that U2U though (like I said in the original post). Am I punished for the rest of eternity and never know what I was applauded for, just because I accidentaly deleted the U2U? That is fair for you fine, then don't use the Applause link to see what you were applauded for, that is perfectly fine. But what about everyone else who would like to see their own applauded work? Can't they have the simple feature of an out of the way link on the profile page that would go to another page showing all the applauded messages? Its not like it is going to add a great deal to the bandwidth use, or take more processor time, so why not implement another user friendly feature that would enhance the ATS browsing experience?

Also not positive on this, but I think I am only allowed to save 50 U2U messages, aren't I? If that is the case, then what happens when I get my 51st applausal U2U? Then I got to sort through all the U2U's to decide which applausal is no longer important to me, so that I can add the 51st? There are lots of members with more than 50 applauses, John Lear for example. How would he save more (without spending any points) than 50 applause U2U's?

Honestly, this is a good idea that I am sure a PHP pro like Skeptic can whip up in an afternoon, and will be a very nice feature to see what other people are applauded for. I don't understand the reluctancy to have a simple and very beneficial idea like this implemented...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well if you get more than 50 applause you can up your U2U quota here, at the ATS Store.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Yes, I know that... thanks for letting me know anyway... Like I said in my last message... How does one do that without spending any points? What if all my points are already spent on the stupid RATS forum access? Now I gotta go without a background color, no RATS access, and for what? All because I gotta "buy my way" into having more potential applauses to save? Again, not fair in my humble opinion... we should be allowed to see why we are being applaused without having to spend points to achieve same...

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
oops, double...

[edit on 7/5/07 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be funny, but it appears that you have a long way to go before you have to worry about not being able to save your 51st applause.

besides, it is only a minor inconvenience to upgrade you u2u limit.

And by the time you do reach that milestone (50+ applauses), I'm sure you will have adequate points to afford a little more u2u space, since each applause also comes with a points reward.

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
An idea!

Once you get an applause, click the link and bookmark the post...

Make a folder in your "Favorites List" for applauded post' bookmarks.

Put the bookmark in the folder.

Everytime you get an applause repeat steps 1 & 3

There you go - all your Applauses saved...for the low cost of zero points.

Problem solved.

[edit on 5/7/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
good idea, enjoies!

:goenjoies:
(they haven't put that one in bb code yet)

If I could vote a "Way Above" for that I would, but since they removed that option I' givee your post a star. Oh wait, I can't do that here either.

I'll owe you a star then.

top topics

join