It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law Requires New Mexico to Grow, Distribute Marijuana

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

New Law Requires New Mexico to Grow, Distribute Marijuana

Perhaps it is a ploy by Bill Richardson to get more votes? He already would have the hispanic demographic (you haven't seen what the hispanics can do when motivated to act), the "pothead" demographic could well be the most untapped demographic in the US.

[edit on 1-7-2007 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Its amazing that so many people die each year from alchohol. And im curious how many pot deaths are there. Why is alchohol legal and pot isnt?
Im sure this subject has been thrown around plenty but it doesnt make sense to me.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
and plus if weed was legal everyone in this nation would be too high to commit crimes.....too chillaxed watching comedy central and ordering pizza.....alchohols legal because it came from england russia and the sort weeds illegal cause it came over the border....victim of immigration laws you might say

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Ten states have some sort of laws permitting medicinal use of mj: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington.

Maryland has a half-baked law which levies a fine in some instances.

But there are also cases where the grand experiment did not succeed. Alaskans, for example, voted to recriminalize mj after 15 years of legalization. In Britain, many Brits were angered by lax drug laws that changed their communities for the worse. And Ohio, Nevada, and Arizona all voted down the chance to make mj legal, and they did it by a wide margin.

When state laws are challenged by the feds, they always lose, at least so far.

It's still political suicide to push for legalization. People are generally sympathetic towards medicinal use, but widespread usage just doesn't have the support needed yet.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Somebody ought to tell Cape Codians its still illegal.

I think the only harm could be driving while under the influence of marijuana. As far as anything else, i just dont see the problem.

Imagine, every one laughing.

I'd take people like that over these alkies on the streets that KILL people everyday.
Same with prescription drugs, if you take them, stay off the streets!

I hope they do away with booze in my lifetime. That would make me happy. People will continue to drink, of course, but it will be harder to get.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Feds will come in and scare people. Law is DOA, more of a protest than anything else. Now if Bill Richardson wins......Then we might be able to get a joint for a headache

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
A little quick research on the net reveals:
--According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the Number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides for 2003 was 20,687
--There are approximately 17,000 killed yearly due to alcohol-related auto accidents (Car-Accidents.com)
--Quote: "50% of violent events including murder are immediately preceded by alcohol consumption by the perpetrator, the victim, or both. Martin, S. The epidemiology of alcohol-related interpersonal violence. Alcohol, Health and Research World 16(3):230-7, 1992." from [this link.
--And finally, THIS site about says it all.

*EDIT* And in case you didn't click on that last link:
How can alcohol be blamed for 100,000 deaths each year?
• 5% of all deaths from diseases of the circulatory system are attributed to alcohol.
• 15% of all deaths from diseases of the respiratory system are attributed to alcohol.
• 30% of all deaths from accidents caused by fire and flames are attributed to alcohol.
• 30% of all accidental drownings are attributed to alcohol.
• 30% of all suicides are attributed to alcohol.
• 40% of all deaths due to accidental falls are attributed to alcohol.
• 45% of all deaths in automobile accidents are attributed to alcohol.
• 60% of all homicides are attributed to alcohol.
(Sources: NIDA Report, the Scientific American and Addiction Research Foundation of Ontario.) Also see Alcohol Consumption and Mortality, Alcohol poisoning deaths, CDC report,
100,000 deaths. That's more than a statistic. That is 100,000 individuals with faces. 100,000 individuals with lives not fully lived. 100,000 individuals grieved by mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, and children. Every year.
(come-over.to...)

[edit on 2-7-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

[edit on 2-7-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Everybody who partakes of the sacrament should spread their seeds where they will do the most good. If everybody does this, medicinal Marijuana will be a moot point. Those of us who partake of the sacrament could overwhelm the governments ability to defoliate it economically and safely simply by disposing of our seeds responsibly instead of sending them to the landfill.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I do not understand the anal approach that the federal government has to weed, medicinal or not. There is a market there that's not going away. If it's not legal all it does is make money for criminal elements, ie: Hell's Angels, Jamacian and Asian gangs . Legalize and tax and you not only neuter a HUGE criminal element, you also add to the public coffers. What's wrong with that?

I'm sure the religious factions will have a problem with that. THAT is EXACTLY why there should be a TOTAL seperation of religion and state.

While I appreciate your efforts to legalize and have given you a star for it, I do not believe the government needs to be in the marijuana business. That would only increase the chances for corruption and abuse. I propose that the only thing that needs to be done is to legalize it and get out of the way. I would still make it a crime to sell more than a pound just to keep the criminal enterprises at bay. Legalizing marijuana would take BILLIONS of dollars out of the hands of organized crime and deny small time operators the foothold they use to grow into big time operators. I would levy huge fines for those dealing in excess of a pound to raise revenue instead of the government growing, selling, and taxing it. The increase in spendable cash that people would find in their wallets would infuse the economy which would take off like a rocket with folks buying all kinds of stuff . Everyone knows that stoners like to buy their toys.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well, by now, we all should know the real reason why this is being allowed. It's being done by NM so that they can try to take away some of Mexico's profits. They must be cutting into the US' drug money by trafficking it through the tunnels under the border that the government doesn't want us knowing anything about.

So much for Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Can't have that when there's too much money coming over the border into our economy. Or is this the way that we'll get it fixed? Looks like it could be a good thing after all, in more ways than one..

TheBorg

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I think that many of you are overlooking the fact that not everyone thinks legalization is a great idea. In this case, the gov't is responding to the wishes of the majority of the people. They're not in it for any monetary gain; if they were, they would just ignore what you and I think, and tax it to death.

If you want change, pick your battles correctly.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I don't agree, jsobecky, with the idea that it's the will of the people.

In CA, the vote to decriminalize medical cannabis was overwhelming. It was over 80% in my area alone.

If it wasn't for the disinformation campaign by the ONDCP ("This is your brain on drugs") the number of people who believe cannabis is harmful would be much smaller.

According to the Duke University site, 73% of Americans believe it should be legal for medical purposes, leaving complete decriminalization out of it.

If that's the case, and it's the "will of the people" why is it still a crime for someone who's dying to light up?

Answer: corporate greed.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I don't agree, jsobecky, with the idea that it's the will of the people.

In CA, the vote to decriminalize medical cannabis was overwhelming. It was over 80% in my area alone.

As I said in an earlier post:

It's still political suicide to push for legalization. People are generally sympathetic towards medicinal use, but widespread usage just doesn't have the support needed yet.

And then I pointed out several states that proved my point.

If it wasn't for the disinformation campaign by the ONDCP ("This is your brain on drugs") the number of people who believe cannabis is harmful would be much smaller.

Again, as I said earlier:

If you want change, pick your battles correctly.

According to the Duke University site, 73% of Americans believe it should be legal for medical purposes, leaving complete decriminalization out of it.

If that's the case, and it's the "will of the people" why is it still a crime for someone who's dying to light up?

Answer: corporate greed.

Could you point out that link to the Duke U. site again? I couldn't find it. Thanks-

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, the idea is a pretty pragmatic solution to a problem, I would say. Think about it: where would they go to legally buy it anyway? How do the other 11 states with legal mm laws do it (I know that California has been challenged by the feds)?

PS: Mirthful Me....the first pitch at tonight's Red Sox game was thrown out by... a monkey!

[edit on 30-6-2007 by jsobecky]

man i saw that... it was so funny.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Additional details...

The law is very specific about who can be approved for the card. Patients with the following conditions are eligible: cancer, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, HIV or AIDS, and "damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with tractable spasticity."

"We don't want people applying because they have backaches," Busemeyer said.

Additional ailments can be submitted for approval. Other states allow marijuana to be prescribed for symptoms like chronic pain or nausea.

www.abqtrib.com...

I think any "criteria" is just for show, this will be a free for all.

It will be interesting to see how active the state is in the production and distribution.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I think that many of you are overlooking the fact that not everyone thinks legalization is a great idea.

Of course not, the world is full of busybodies who will fight for any scrap of power over their fellow citizens they can get. Referenda are the wrong approach, if we'd depended on referenda, we'd still have slavery, women still wouldn't have the right to vote, miscegnation laws would still be in effect, etc. etc...

In my opinion it's one of the most dangerous potential flaws of democracy: the majority will always vote to increase their power over the minority.
That's just how people are.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I don't support medical marijuana use, because I've never seen any compelling evidence that smoking pot is more efficacious than taking Marinol.

I agree with this statement. We have drug representatives from the producers of Marinol come and talk to us all the time, and the benefits of Marinol have actually in many cases been found to surpass that of inhalation. The main chemical in Marinol that helps with pain and appetite is THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), and depending on the dosage per precription it has been found to work to great effect in most cases...especially in HIV/AIDS positive individuals or cancer patients. The good thing about this completely legal prescription medication is that doses can be regimented by a physician, which will drastically cut the risk of overdose or misuse in patients. Dronabinol, which is the biggest active ingredient in Marinol is actually a synthethic "version" of natural Delta 9 THC, which is also found in the product. Dronabinol does have side effects of its own which include Depression, increased effects of Schizophrenia diagnosis, memory loss, hallucinations.

Does anyone believe the government would legalize Opium or Heroine? I assume most everyone here will answer "no", or ask why I even bring this up. Morphine is a very active ingredient in both of these illegal drugs, and I compare it's medical benefit with that of THC. There are no prescriptions for smoking Heroine to get the beneficial properties of the Morphine contained in it...why should it be any differnet with the THC found in Marijuana? THC, as mentioned earlier, is the beneficial chemical found in Marijuana, and all of the other toxins found in the plant are of little or no use medically. Comparisons between the two can be made, and when someone inhales Marijuana they actually inhale a combination of more than 400-450 chemicals, many of which can be found in tobacco and other smoked plants like Poppy (which Opium is derived from). With Marinol, these other toxins can be manufactured out of the plant so that concentrations of toxins are better regulated than smoking.

I do not think smoking Marijuana for medical purposes will ever become completely legal in the United States because there is a bigger risk associated with it for both doctors and patients. Namely, how would police ever be able to determine if the joint someone was smoking was something they bought on the street or obtained through a prescription? Someone that has a prescription could go out and buy more "on the street" and simply claim it's part of his prescription, which would increase the amount of illegal drugs being sold on the streets. Not only that but because their is no proof (in fact there is evidence to the contrary) that smoking marijuana has any more effect than if taken orally, as Grady stated, I don't think the government is going to take a risk in contributing to the illegal sale of it.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
OK you are missing the entire point.

Marinol does not have the medicinal properties nor the dose control as the herb does.

One does not know how much marinol will be effective at a given time for the individual.

Marinol does NOT contain every easing chemical as the herb does. THC is not the only effective counter-nausea ingredient. Many of the cannibinoids are helpful as well.

Marinol is an excuse for the pharmaceutical companies to make huge profit margins while sick people still don't get the right medicine. They can then offer a 'new' drug marinol 2.0 with a few more chemicals after they have fully raped the marinol 1.0 arena.

Wake up please. Pharmaceuticals are man-made, the herb is God-made.
Who do you really trust? A mad scientist in the lab tinkering away at patents or something that an almighty creator put on the Earth for all creatures.

Its even in your bible in Genesis 1:29 'Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.'

Granted, I do not follow the bible, but it can't be that bad if a whole religion says its ok.

Not to mention it is a popular drink (Bhang tea) in India and Moroccans often mix it in their hookahs (hashish).

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
OK you are missing the entire point.

Marinol does not have the medicinal properties nor the dose control as the herb does.

One does not know how much marinol will be effective at a given time for the individual.

Sorry, but I do not agree with that assertion. First, Marinol does have an effective way to contribute to the control of the product in that dose control in Marinol is one of the main benefits of taking it. Doctors can regulate the amount of Marinol depending on the persons needs. You are correct on the point that Marinol does not contain all benefits found in Marijuana, but it also does not contain all the unneeded qualities as well. Of all the active chemicals in Marijuana only a handful have been found to have positive medicinal purposes (namely THC), anything else is just hearsay...it has never been proven, and there are too few regulated clinical trials to suggest that smoking Marijuana is anymore beneficial that taking Marinol.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I addressed this point earlier, because I've had a scrip for marinol and use medical cannabis. Marinol is in no way the equal of the actual herb, especially in patients with nausea. See my post near the bottom of page 2 for more in-depth coverage of this point.

There are more chemicals that affect the medicine than just THC, there are a slew of other cannabinoids that act in combination with it for different effects. That's why different strains of cannabis work better on different symptoms and complaints: there are strains good for headache, for pain, for nausea, for insomnia. They all feel different when taken, and have different effects because of the varying combination of cannabinoids.

Of course the drug reps are going to say theirs is better -- they're making a HUGE profit off something people could grow legally in their own back yards.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join