It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law Requires New Mexico to Grow, Distribute Marijuana

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I do not understand the anal approach that the federal government has to weed, medicinal or not. There is a market there that's not going away. If it's not legal all it does is make money for criminal elements, ie: Hell's Angels, Jamacian and Asian gangs . Legalize and tax and you not only neuter a HUGE criminal element, you also add to the public coffers. What's wrong with that?

I'm sure the religious factions will have a problem with that. THAT is EXACTLY why there should be a TOTAL seperation of religion and state.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Nope, the market is not going away.

It never will.

In California, for instance, weed is NOT considered a drug (so i hear) which is why Paris Hilton said the truth when she said she doesnt do drugs and O'Reilly showed a clip on her smoking.

Take alcohol away. Now there is a real problem.

I never heard of weed rage.
or anything similar with this "drug"- People should be able to participate in this if they want to.

Dont think i'm a pothead. :shk:

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

I never heard of weed rage.

You should see me when I try to get the lawn in the back yard under control.

Dont think i'm a pothead. :shk:

I don't. It's just being pragmatic.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I've been using it medicinally since 1994. I think it's one of the reasons I'm a long-term survivor of HIV, as well as other factors (such as taking meds regularly).

the lethal dose is 20 pounds in 20 minutes if I remember that correctly. Nobody has ever died from it. How many deaths from alcohol and from cigarettes every year?

Not to mention the benefits of biodiesel made from hemp, which the feds still confuse with the drug variety and don't allow people to grow commercially.

But back to the original topic, I'd not trust the states to grow it right. Bureaucracy isn't going to increase potency or quality any, though it probably would interfere with those qualities.

The way it works in general here is that someone has a garden and they grow for a number of patients, who in turn provide their grower's certificates. The patients get their medicine and the growers get to - ahem - distribute the excess through the dispensaries. Prices for medical grade are lower than street prices by far because the market is so flush, especially during outdoor harvest season in the fall.

Another positive benefit of legalizing it would be that there could be quality checking organizations, such as Oregon Tilth, to maintain certain standards and make sure that deadly pesticides and additives aren't used by unscrupulous vendors. Carbamates and organophosphates, as well as copper and other chemicals and metals are all used as cheap and easy fixes for pest problems, but these chemicals stay on the flowers as they go to market and can cause serious health problems in the patients they're supposed to be helping.

If people weren't so worried about being illegal as far as the feds were concerned, then they'd be more willing to allow inspections of their garden facilities, and a quality inspection body would have nothing to fear from federal prosecution.

I'm all for law and order when it's about protecting people from other people, but when it comes to nanny state stuff that should be better up to the individual adult (such as drug use, etc.) then it's a whole other ballgame, IMO.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I will be interested to see how this plays out. Ashcroft had a history of closing things like this down, what will happen now I am not so sure. States have been changing laws regarding weed for a while now. On this case, the people say one thing while the Feds say another. I would bet raids are in the future for NM.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by section8citizen
States have been changing laws regarding weed for a while now. On this case, the people say one thing while the Feds say another. I would bet raids are in the future for NM.

I don't know man. There is a line drawn between States rights and the Feds. This could either go calmly or get REALLY ugly.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The way I figure it will go is this: eventually 3/4 of the states will pass medical cannabis laws, which is the number needed to ratify a change to the Constitution. Once that's happened, the feds will have no choice but to back down because they'll be outnumbered.

But that's a ways in the future, I think we're only up to 12 or so states that have laws on the books legalizing cannabis for medicine currently.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Just a side note guys. It's OK to discuss the legality of weed under the T&C but once we get into personal usage and stuff, that's not cool. Let's keep this discussion going and not go down the road that most weed threads go. OK?

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

[edit on 1/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I heard about this first here.

I don't really keep up with local politics.

I don't support medical marijuana use, because I've never seen any compelling evidence that smoking pot is more efficacious than taking Marinol.

The situation in other states with this law, as I understand it, is that there is no shortage of MDs who will prescribe pot for everything from an ingrown toenail to leukemia.

Richardson.... If I didn't hate that rolling eye ball emoticon so much, I'd put one here.

[edit on 2007/7/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
i live in new mex weve been looking for an excuse to do this for years.....plus marijuana is native to the region and very easily cultivated here theres some places here where it grows wild however it gets confiscated but if at some point medical marijuana was legal in every state us texas and arizona would propably be responsible for most of the growing

I think they'd be grown in labs and grown to be super potent.

[edit on 1-7-2007 by Vinci]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
and rosenthal wrote the growers guide....hes my hero

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by section8citizen
States have been changing laws regarding weed for a while now. On this case, the people say one thing while the Feds say another. I would bet raids are in the future for NM.

I don't know man. There is a line drawn between States rights and the Feds. This could either go calmly or get REALLY ugly.

Agreed there is a very big line drawn in the sand between the State and the Feds on this issue. I can't help but think about our initial invasion into Afghanistan. At the same time that was going on and dominating the news, I remember reading an article (I think it was in TIME magazine) about how the Feds had raided numerous places in Washington, California, and maybe Oregon for dispensing Medical marijuana in accordance with State law. The article focused on how the will of the people in the State was being trumped by the will of the Federal government. I will do some research and see if I can find some points of reference.

Personally, I think it should be legalized, regulated and taxed much like cigarettes are in the US. Cigarettes are one of the most dangerous substances on the free market IMO and it pales in comparison.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm moving to New Mexico.
Actually they will probably grow crappy pot. Then again it the farm it out to the indians.... HMMMMMMM!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Grady, I had a scrip for Marinol, it's in no way equal to the real thing.

It's synthetic for one. It's unpredictable, for two. I could take the same dose on two consecutive days and one day I was so overwhelmed by side effects I couldn't function and the next it wouldn't have the necessary effects.

When it's absorbed through the stomach and intestines, as Marinol is, it can take 45 minutes to an hour to begin to do its job. You can't regulate your dose if you've had enough -- what you took is what you get.

With the smoked or vaporized form, you know when you've had enough immediately, and the effects happen immediately.

One of the HIV cocktails I was on had me so nauseated that I couldn't have kept a Marinol down long enough for it to help me with my nausea.

And as a side note there is a lot of hypocrisy in a government that will allow a synthetic version of THC that costs about $1400 for a one month supply while they're telling us that cannabis has absolutely no medical properties or uses. All this is, is a coverup so that the pharmaceutical industry can clean up off their synthetic patent instead of letting people have the natural, far superior substance.

The drug lobby is powerful and pays lots of money to our intrepid congresspeople. That's why it's illegal -- they won't make money if people can grow their own medicine, and you can't patent a natural substance, only single cultivars bred by a particular company. There's no profit margin in it for big business the way it is now. And that is the real reason the feds don't allow medical cannabis and spread disinformation about it at every opportunity.

I know all this stuff because in the past I was very active in the political movement here in Northern California. I helped get the original initiative in the city of Oakland passed back in 1996. I have kids now, and other things to do, but I've been dealing with this subject in depth for about 11 years now, and was involved less knowledgeably prior to the passage of SB215, which legalized medical cannabis in the state.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't know what the hell to say? An important subject to some and a cut & dried subject to others.
I don't do smoke. Tried it when I was married many-many years ago before divorce. People at our parties loved listening to music while-high. But for me it wasn't for me. So I really don't think I can render a respected opinion except for local laws.

Dallas

apc

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
The way I figure it will go is this: eventually 3/4 of the states will pass medical cannabis laws, which is the number needed to ratify a change to the Constitution. Once that's happened, the feds will have no choice but to back down because they'll be outnumbered.

But that's a ways in the future, I think we're only up to 12 or so states that have laws on the books legalizing cannabis for medicine currently.

Ding Ding Ding. I fully expect this to happen... sooner rather than later. I even suspect a change at the Federal level will take place well before a 3/4 majority. Oregon was the first state to issue medical marijuana cards in 1999. Now, eight years later, almost 1/4 of the states have done the same. I highly doubt it will take eight more years to reach 1/2, especially when you consider who will most likely be the next President.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
California was actually the first, in 1996. But other than that, this particular scenario seems to be the most likely.

Oh, but wait, you mean actual state-issued cards instead of an independent body issuing them for all people within the state. Sorry.

[edit for second paragraph]

[edit on 1-7-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i live in new mex and knowing how people are around here....wherever theyre growing its gonna get robbed...repeatedly even if theres armed gaurds...but speaking of legalization...i wrote a paper on the subject in 9th grade think about it by taxing it and reducing the amount of money spent on offenders that are arrested for possesion which is ussually lless than 8 grams or a twenty sack america would have a new cash crop that we wouldnt have to export at all....plus think of the people that will no longer have to worry that the # there buying is laced....oh and legalizing weed isnt going to impede criminal organizations at all most of there money comes from crack or meth cause its so cheap to make and then can be sold for a much higher price....(( btw anyone know the half-life of bad legislation
))

[edit on 1-7-2007 by justanothergangster]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join