It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law Requires New Mexico to Grow, Distribute Marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   

New Law Requires New Mexico to Grow, Distribute Marijuana

www.foxnews.com

New Mexico has a new medical marijuana law with a twist: It requires the state to grow its own.

The law, effective Sunday, not only protects medical marijuana users from prosecution — as 11 other states do — but requires New Mexico to oversee a production and distribution system for the drug.

"The long-term goal is that the patients will have a safe, secure supply that doesn't mean drug dealers, that doesn't mean growing their own," said Reena Szczepanski, director of Drug Policy.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related ATS Threads

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30/6/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This could have serious ramifications on federal funding for a state that receives $2.00 in federal spending for every $1.00 in taxes paid. There is also some question as to the impact this will have on Bill Richardson's floundering presidential bid. Will the DEA raid New Mexico's latest "cash crop?"

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Wow...

I would have thought this story would have everyone "up in arms" so to speak... I guess this shows the power of real breaking news.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Wow, great post,

Its kinda funny that they are having them grow their own, Wonder how potent it will be, and whos gonna grow it. Wouldnt mind having that contracted job

Now with this happening and other states with a jist kinda law for it, will US ever allow this to be legal? many have clearly shown the medical effects of it, and many use it for just that purpose, yes we have our abusers but we have a abuser for just about every other item in america, and others trying to get medical terms discribed as such ( gaming addiction, gambling addiction, Softdrink and fast food addiction )

Just seems to me we arent using what nature has to offer.

Why would they want NM to grow its own? so it cant be transported or Hijacked? Or just for the reason stated so others dont have to goto dealers or grow their own?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
We need to do more of this. Grow our own, that is.

No matter which way you feel about the use of certain things, there's a thing called freedom.

I live in a place that does not sell alcohol on Sunday. Yet, I can drive seven miles and buy a truckload. These laws are ways for groups to exercise power over others.

Good for NM. That's where I'm going for my vacation.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hm...I'm in Arizona. I wonder if I can apply for a medical marijuana card even if I'm not a state resident.

Mirthful, this is better than the CIA funding terrorism throught their illicit trafficking of coc aine/crack, opium/heroin, and cannabis.

I'm all for legalization. Alleviate the "war" on drugs, terrorism, poverty, etc. and you get rid of the problem.

I'm sure it would be pretty potent stuff. Medicinal forms have to be high quality so users have to take less tokes to receive the desired effects. This is better for the body as users inhale less tar and smoke.

God bless America. Land of the free, home of the brave...and corrupted politicians.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
A budding cottage industry...

Great... That's what the Land of Entrapment needs, a steady stream of out of state "invalids" seeking "treatment." I see the late night green chili cheeseburger demand skyrocketing.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It's all stupid speculation anyways 'cuz this law is dead on arrival. Medicinal marijuana laws have never withstood judicial review in the past because they're clearly trumped by strict Federal antidrug legislation. This junk is mere political grandstanding.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
It's all stupid speculation anyways 'cuz this law is dead on arrival. Medicinal marijuana laws have never withstood judicial review in the past because they're clearly trumped by strict Federal antidrug legislation. This junk is mere political grandstanding.

California still has many medicinal dispensaries. Sure the feds may raid every once and a while illegally (what happened to state's rights?) but that doesn't mean they don't exist anymore.

You can obtain a license pretty easily (so I've heard) with a doctor's note. People need some natural assistance. Why should they take a pill and risk a seizure when they already have epilepsy?

Its a calming herb, there is no sin in using it (not saying I condone or use it, but it should be legal as it is not a man-made substance).

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

It's all stupid speculation anyways 'cuz this law is dead on arrival. Medicinal marijuana laws have never withstood judicial review in the past because they're clearly trumped by strict Federal antidrug legislation.

Interesting how quickly a "state's rights" position changes when it doesn't suit a political agenda.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well, the idea is a pretty pragmatic solution to a problem, I would say. Think about it: where would they go to legally buy it anyway? How do the other 11 states with legal mm laws do it (I know that California has been challenged by the feds)?

PS: Mirthful Me....the first pitch at tonight's Red Sox game was thrown out by... a monkey!

[edit on 30-6-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Medicinal marijuana laws have never withstood judicial review in the past because they're clearly trumped by strict Federal antidrug legislation.

This does beg the question; will the feds "charge in" and "bust" the state like they do with MM dispensaries in CA?

And/or; will the State only grow "99 plants" to avoid felony level "intent" charges?

[edit on 7/1/07 by redmage]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Legalize it already. It's totally ridiculous and hypocritical. How about the regular abuse of Nicotine that goes on, not to mention alcohol. It's virtually arbitrary. In fact, the statistics on alcohol-related deaths directly(cirrosis, etc.) or indirectly (accidents, violent crimes) are utterly staggering. I'll never forget watching an interview about 12 years ago on 20/20 with John Stossel when the nation's drug czar told him that alcohol is "not a drug". What a a dope.

[edit on 1-7-2007 by Corbin Dalus]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

I'm sure it would be pretty potent stuff. Medicinal forms have to be high quality so users have to take less tokes to receive the desired effects. This is better for the body as users inhale less tar and smoke.

Canada has a medicinal grow op in an abandoned mine in Alberta, I believe, and reports are the product is not good and not cheap. Patients are still going elsewhere for their meds.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This is a good step, I see.

I live in California, and in San Francisco we have a whole bunch of medicinal marijuana dispensers, I was at one and walked 10 feet and there was another one across the street.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corbin Dalus
Legalize it already. It's totally ridiculous and hypocritical. How about the regular abuse of Nicotine that goes on, not to mention alcohol. It's virtually arbitrary. In fact, the statistics on alcohol-related deaths directly(cirrosis, etc.) or indirectly (accidents, violent crimes) are utterly staggering. I'll never forget watching an interview about 12 years ago on 20/20 with John Stossel when the nation's drug czar told him that alcohol is "not a drug". What a a dope.

in the 20's and 30's all the propaganda about "reefer" was aimed at mexicans (marijuana!). This seems like it could be right along the lines, somehow it will become an illegal immigrant issue. Maybe I'm wrong tho...

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
awesome! only a matter of time till it becomes legal! (I hope)

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corbin Dalus

Wow totally agree with this... Infact reefer has health benefits that alcohol and cigarettes dont have.. I believe since it is a natrual herb that it has been proven to help clear the brain of plaque (somthing like that) I smoke it every now and then... I think its ridiculous to make something illegal when alcohol is worse... Just a law made up by a bunch of prudes imo.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
lol....i live in new mex weve been looking for an excuse to do this for years.....plus marijuana is native to the region and very easily cultivated here theres some places here where it grows wild however it gets confiscated but if at some point medical marijuana was legal in every state us texas and arizona would propably be responsible for most of the growing

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The feds do bust the occasional dispensary or grower here in CA, but usually for political reasons. The last major circus-style bust here was when they did Ed Rosenthal when Ashcroft was in town to speak at the Commonwealth Club.

I just had my ID card re-issued (a yearly requirement) and when I asked, I was told that the main card-issuing body in the state, the OCBC, has over 100,000 members now.

LA is the new happening spot. I can't believe how many dispensaries are listed in LA and San Fernando Valley on the NORML site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join