It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micheal Moore's SICKO gets *Thumbs Up* from fact checkers.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Micheal Moore's SICKO gets *Thumbs Up* from fact checkers.

www.cnn.com

Michael Moore's "Sicko," which opened nationwide Friday, is filled with horror stories of people who are deprived of medical service because they can't afford it or haven't been able to navigate the murky waters of managed care in the United States.

It compares American health care with the universal coverage systems in Canada, France, the United Kingdom and Cuba.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste please review the following link...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30-6-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Usually Michael Moore haters have a lot of fuel to fire upon him. But with his new movie, it seems that he has for the most part, laid down a factual message that isn't clouded with sensationalism. Well, perhaps it still is, for I haven't yet seen it, but at least the experts say he's telling the truth.

Now let us see how the nation reacts to a horrible truth that they are kept from seeing. At least he hits the government where it counts.

AAC

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I really can't wait to see it. I heard he gets 50% of whatever it takes. Good for him I say
No more producer restrictions on his next film

“It’s a really interesting irony for me,” Moore says of his expected financial windfall. “What it should do to me is remind me every single day that I have an even greater responsibility to do good with the success that I have been blessed with. I need to make sure that I am able to make the next film with the money that I have made on this film. The money allows me to never have to give in, never compromise. Nothing can ever be held over my head in the sense of, ‘If you don’t do this, we won’t give you your money!’ ‘Oh, wow, I guess I’ll be in really bad shape, won’t I?’ That’s an enormous bit of freedom that I have — to stay completely true to the things I believe in. But I have an even greater responsibility because I have been blessed with that great success. I challenge myself with that, constantly.”

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The experts say he is telling the truth about Cuba's healthcare system?... Which "experts" are these?

Anyways, yes there are problems with the U.S. healthcare system, but Moore did a diservice by "staging what the Cuban healthcare system is all about"...

He did lie and perpetrated a fraud with the Cuban dictatorship to claim "the healthcare system in Cuba is better than that of the U.S....

And yes, despite the claims of some people who want to believe this with all their hearts, those same people don't know anything about the healthcare system in Cuba except what the regime tells the world it is like...

Just do a search and find out what happened to a "foreigner" (Helena Houdova) when she tried to really find out about the truth of Cuba, among some other things the "so wonderful healthcare system of Cuba"...

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well, I'm going to go ahead and actually watch the film before I decide to form an opinion about it. I just try to be openminded. It helps me learn things. It's pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Okay, but the simple fact that healthcare should be a non-profit organization is a no-brainer. And to show that Cuba is more forthcoming with their services, was targeted at the collective perception of the dictatorship. If you do not agree, then I will digress, for I could never understand where your logic base is on this subject. Opinions vary.

"Hey, Billy-bob, that there Cuba gives away good health. My cousin died because he couldn't afford to go. That don't make no sense."

This certainty was all I myself was referring to.

AAC

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Now there's a thought...

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
Okay, but the simple fact that healthcare should be a non-profit organization is a no-brainer.

Could you please point me to the smooth running, corruption free, and progressive non-profit organization in existence now?

Perhaps you'd care to detail how you're going to attract the cream of the crop to work in such a "rewarding" sector?

That's the ticket... Reduce healthcare to the same level as public education.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This is what happens when people really try to find out the truth about Cuba.

The two Czech women were detained by police as they were taking photographs of a poverty ridden district in Havana.

"There was a lot of shouting as we were dragged off - and one of the officers shouted that we were terrorists", Helena Houdova said later. She and her psychologist friend Mariana Kroftova made the trip to Havana to ascertain how children on the island could benefit from their charity work. Mariana Kroftova says she thought the eleven hours they spent in detention would never end:

"They took us to a police station where nobody spoke to us or properly explained what was going on. We were just able to make out that we were accused of engaging in counter-revolutionary activities against the Cuban regime. What was worse they refused to let us call the Czech embassy. So we spent the 11 hours without knowing what our fate would be."

The two women were eventually released at 3am after pledging in writing that they would not engage in any counter-revolutionary activities in Cuba. Both remained under house arrest until leaving the country. The Czech Foreign Ministry has described their treatment as a flagrant violation of international law. Richard Krpac is from the ministry's press department:

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs considers this act - refusing Czech citizens contact with the embassy - a grave violation of one of the basic and most important human rights for citizens abroad - which is the right to consular access."

www.radio.cz...

That's what happenes when people try to find the truth about Cuba's system, everything else is what the dictatorship wants you to believe, and Moore agreed to stage a lie...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Okay, but the simple fact that healthcare should be a non-profit organization is a no-brainer. And to show that Cuba is more forthcoming with their services, was targeted at the collective perception of the dictatorship. If you do not agree, then I will digress, for I could never understand where your logic base is on this subject. Opinions vary.

It is not opinion when I was born in the island and i still have family there who enjoy the "oh so wonderful healthcare system", and when everytime my family in Cuba actually need medicine my family or myself, in the U.S. have to buy the medicine here and send it to Cuba because they don't have them for the regular people in the island...

The fact that the 9/11 workers had to sign an agreement that they could not talk about what happened should be a big hint...not even the name of the hospital they went to was released.

They were certainly taken to one of the "tourist hospitals" which only the rich foreigners and those who work for castro can use...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
BTW, i have never said the U.S. healthcare system does not have problems, but if Moore staged a lie about the Cuban healthcare system, what else did he lie about?...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
One more thing...what was the response from the Cuban regime as to what happened?...

Asked why the women were arrested the charge d'affaires said it was because they had "deliberately waged a campaign against Cuba in cooperation with Cuban dissidents". This is a standard line used in connection with many Czechs who visit the island. Many are refused entry on the suspicion that they plan to meet with Cuban dissidents.

www.radio.cz...

Which has been the same response and claim some have made even in these forums trying to dismiss what "those who have experienced, and have first hand accounts about the Cuban healthcare system have to say about it"....

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The thing I don't get about people who hate Michael Moore and hate this film is that to me he is only talking about making things BETTER for Americans. Improving life, etc.

I may not agree with him on certain things (guns for one) but in the end he is just using his right as an American to speak freely on subjects he feels strongly about, do I hate him for that? no.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
Well, I'm going to go ahead and actually watch the film before I decide to form an opinion about it. I just try to be openminded. It helps me learn things. It's pretty cool.

You sir are a smart man.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Could you please point me to the smooth running, corruption free, and progressive non-profit organization in existence now?

It seems you've conceeded to the impossibility of such an idea. I happen to work in the medical industry and I see everyday the increasing conspicuous corruption that kickbacks create.

Perhaps you'd care to detail how you're going to attract the cream of the crop to work in such a "rewarding" sector?

I guess I'd have to preface that we hope to create an altruistic industry.

That's the ticket... Reduce healthcare to the same level as public education.

No comment.

AAC

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

no need to make it all about Cuba. And the censorship of that island has alot to do with its drug availability. Also, is you read the post, it says that many experts, even moore critics found that his only fault was not going into the subject deeper.

It is a reflection of what americans already feel.

AAC

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaucyRossy
I may not agree with him on certain things (guns for one) but in the end he is just using his right as an American to speak freely on subjects he feels strongly about, do I hate him for that? no.

Do you think that by Moore staging a lie about the Cuban healthcare system he is helping educate the public about the problems the U.S. healthcare system has?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

no need to make it all about Cuba.

Oh, so Moore didn't go to Cuba and claimed the healthcare system there is better than in the U.S.?

Are we going to dismiss the most apparent lie in this new stunt by Moore just because you and some others want to?

And the censorship of that island has alot to do with its drug availability.

I have no idea what you just said. Can you explain what you are trying to claim?

Also, is you read the post, it says that many experts, even moore critics found that his only fault was not going into the subject deeper.

Well i find a greater fault by staging a lie about the Cuban healthcare system just so he could dramaticize and lie claiming the healthcare system in a dictatorship is better than that of the U.S.

It is a reflection of what americans already feel.

AAC

As i asked another member, you think it is alright for Moore to stage a lie about Cuba to bring out the problems in the U.S. healthcare system?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
We already have A Large Thread About The Cuban Issue Within Sicko

Perhaps it would be best to keep that existing thread active on the Cuban healthcare issues, and reserve this thread for other discussion about the Moore movie.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
^^^ My friend,

I do not care about CUBA for I do not live in CUBA. You are allowed to care for CUBA. But when I read articles with many sources claiming that Moore is acurate, even critics who would love to debunk him, I investigate.

Have you even watch the movie? All I'm saying is that US health care is horrible, unless you make good money. Do you make good money? Then you can afford to have an opinion on that side. What about those that can't? That is what I'm discussing.

Does Moore create lies about CUBA? Relative.

AAC

[edit on 29-6-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We already have A Large Thread About The Cuban Issue Within Sicko

Perhaps it would be best to keep that existing thread active on the Cuban healthcare issues, and reserve this thread for other discussion about the Moore movie.

I'm going out to watch it tomorrow and I will be back!

AAC

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join