posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:39 AM
I just thought that I'd try and answer a couple of points raised, and some way back stuff that was inaccurate, or daft:
1. Someone asked about the HrMS Karel Doorman. No, it was NOT the first RN carrier. It was, in fact, the ex-HMS Venerable. It was sold in 1968 to
Argentina, and, as the 25e de Mayo, was to have played a part in the Falklands War, but when HMS Conqueror sank the Belgrano, it was withdrawn, lest
the ARA lose even more face. It has since been broken up. (In, wouldn't ya know, India)
2. Someone wondered whether the HMAS Melbourne still existed as an aid to the PLAN. I believe the hulk has since been broken up, but the flight deck
is rumoured to still exist (or to have survived) for use by the PLAN and PLAAF.
3. A number of guys have said that diesel subs are obsolete, or words to that effect. May I remind you of the Upholder class, possibly one of the most
advanced classes of subs in the world, are conventional. They were only disposed of by the RN after the 1993 "Front Line First" cuts.
4. Someone has claimed that the USA "went it alone" in the Pacific (As opposed to South East Asia), but, in the landings at Okinawa, the British
Pacific Fleet (including Commonwealth units) provided crucial AA support to the south. One of (if not the) last VCs awarded in WWII was to Hammy Gray,
RCNVR, in an attack on a Japanese escort vessel off Honshu.
5. The first proper aircraft carrier (not just an a/c flying-off platform, or a seaplane vessel) was the HMS Argus. The first purpose built aircraft
carrier ordered was the Hermes, whose successor is now in Indian hands (kinda related- Hermes, ex-Elephant, was renamed in 1945 after its less
advanced sister Hermes was cancelled- but it isn't the same as the one here!)- ironically, it was sunk along with the HMAS Vampire by Japanese
aircraft in 1942.
Finally, I think that the Chinese WILL build an aircraft carrier, but it may be, in actuality, a rotary-wing (!!!) aircraft carrier, although they may
turn out with a really good surprise!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll retreat to my nuclear-proof MoD bunker and put my little tin hat on...
[edit on 25-10-2005 by cig1705]