It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the dangers of exploration and knowledge?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
While discussing paranormal matters on ATS I came across a thought, I forgot who came up with it. The conversation was about unlocking your full potential, someone asked the question:

"Would you let a monkey operate a nuclear reactor?"

The bottom line of this question was in my interpretation:
Do you think we are ready for this knowledge, for unlimited possibilities? Do you think you are a nuclear operator, or the monkey?

What are the dangers of developing ourselves, will this be the "salvation of mankind" or another tool to destroy ourselves.

Modern man can be described as evil and egocentric. Will this change with the rising of our abilities? Does reaching out mean enlightment as an inevidable consequence? Or will this be like the discovery of fire, helpfull and life saving. But later used to blow up entire planets...

What will happen? Do we have to change it?

- Chris

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
id like to think mankind will evolve enough to understand more and be the nuclear operator, but i guess thats a long way from now.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hey chrisdeemian,

If you talk about the exploration and knowledge within, then yes it can be dangerous. But Bulletproof is right too.

Its dangerous because:

ONE, we disturb our inner demons (figuratively), what I mean is, before you discover your ability, you have to discover part of yourself. And as humans, were not all perfect, we are driven by impulses and desire, and sometime during our journey inwards we will have to face these demons.

Basically, we start to notice ourselves for who we are, sometimes it might get the best of us, at first we might scare ourselves to death, but eventually, we will learn to at least overcome it. Thus as a result, we become a better person, and find harmony within ourselves.
----------------
TWO, we disturb our old beliefs, when we discovery something new about ourselves, we basically question everything that we once knew. Lets say you discover there are other entities besides us on this earth. Well if you an non-secular Christian you might think its demon, thus cause yourself to panic and stress, not too good for your health or mentality.
------------------
THREE, (maybe this is what you have in mind), if we discover our abilities, lets say telekinesis for example; will we know how to use it?

My answer is at first, no, to us its cool, we experiment, we try to use telekinesis on everything, why? Maybe we want to save the world and fight crime.

But as we try to learn more about it, we will eventually question the ethical reason behind that ability.

Like bulletproof said, we would eventually over come it. Like, if we use telekinesis to fight crime:

1) How would we know when there is a crime happening?
2) Wouldn't we hurt people, even if they are bad, they are still people?
3) If want to fight crime, wouldn't that mean you wish there would be bad people in the world, which mean you wish for a corrupted world.

Eventually we might learn to use telekinesis as supportive ability, we can use it to discipline ourself or to just learn it and teach other for some meaningful use.

Basically it. Well basically what I had to go through, except the secular-Christian, that was just an example. They did however spark my interest for self-discovery, after spreading fear about..."you know who" and the end of the world.

But, again, I'm with bullet proof, I believe eventually through self-discovery, we will change for the better, and make use of our abilities for the better.

[edit on 29-6-2007 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Do you believe this is something that happens over generations? Or does it happen within a lifetime. I've seen some interesting films about the development of mankind, but they all suggest a different timespan. The most reliable one said we will change dramatically within 100 years. Do you agree?

I don't really know what to believe, and I'm kinda looking for an answer, a goal...

- Chris

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I'm afraid to say I believe that transcending this barrier that the ego creates will never be achieved. However, I believe we are still evolving. With greater intelligence, come greater possibilities. But to completely achieve what you are saying, is in my mind near impossible, but stranger things have happened.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
3_Libras, the fact you think it is impossible will probaply make it impossible for you. The funny thing about this (in my experience) is that you determine the limits. It is just hard to fully believe (or actually you have the KNOW) how great and powerfull you are. This is all very interesting, but since we're the ones discovering there is no one who can show us which way to go, we have to find out ourselves...

- Chris

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Whether or not its impossible to me, really makes no difference. I did add though that stranger things have happened, so I'm not dismissing the idea entirely. Make no mistake, I'd love for a spiritual revolution like you speak of to come to fruition, but its hard to imagine it coming in our lifetime, or even within the next 100 years. Such is life, that there will always be a push against such a thing, because like you said, we are truly egotistical creatures.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisDeemian
Do you believe this is something that happens over generations? Or does it happen within a lifetime. I've seen some interesting films about the development of mankind, but they all suggest a different timespan. The most reliable one said we will change dramatically within 100 years. Do you agree?

I don't really know what to believe, and I'm kinda looking for an answer, a goal...
- Chris

I'm not quite what your talking about, but if you mean like a golden age of intuitive people, with special abilities, and everyone live in peace. Then I believe for human as a whole it has already begun, how long it will take to complete, only god would know.

See the way I perceive thing is this, we human as a whole, are connected consciously, you may already have heard about this, global consciousness. I believe as more people become consciously aware of the possibility and existence of paranormal realms, I believe will become much easier for us as a whole to develop our abilities or see other entities.

You may notice that some people already have abilities, but if you haven't realize for most of those people, it so hard to develop or progress, its might be them, but its also the human race as a whole.

I really can't explain this in detail, because I haven't thought about this in a while, so I need to recollect my thoughts and fact and create a decent answer later. Sorry.

Anyways to finish off what I was saying:
What I'm talking about is, we as whole, are going through conscious paradigm shift, from a set of old belief into a new one. By doing so, I believe we can alter or change the laws of reality in which we create for ourselves. For example, Einstein's physics state that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. But, Modern Physics or Quantum Physics dictates otherwise, theres a know phenomena known as Quantum Entanglement:

Quantum entanglement is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which the quantum states of two or more objects have to be described with reference to each other, even though the individual objects may be spatially separated. This leads to correlations between observable physical properties of the systems.

For example, it is possible to prepare two particles in a single quantum state such that when one is observed to be spin-up, the other one will always be observed to be spin-down and vice versa, this despite the fact that it is impossible to predict, according to quantum mechanics, which set of measurements will be observed. As a result, measurements performed on one system seem to be instantaneously influencing other systems entangled with it.

...Bell published a now-famous paper in which he argued that any theory of quantum physics must abandon either Einsteinian locality (ie. the requirement that no influence can travel faster than light), or else the objective reality of the properties of subatomic particles.

What does this mean, I believe science is becoming more accepting of odd phenomena, and could even explain the things they once deny. I personally believe Quantum Entanglement can explain the phenomena of telekinesis or telepathy.

But its not just science, its belief, everything. Lets take at western civilization for example. Five hundred years ago, if you have any psychic abilities you were dubbed a devil worshiper and it was taboo, and fifty years ago, it was dubbed as science fiction, but today we dubbed it as a possibility, but one day, it will be dubbed as reality.

As for you goal, I believe that you shouldn't focus your develop abilities entirely, I mean, you must learn to juggle everyday life, with your abilities. Yes, develop you abilities on your free time and learn about yourself. But I guess what your trying to say is isn't it a waste, if you develop abilities and learn alot about life, but can't put it to use.

I don't think so, I mean keep developing your abilities, and once you feel sufficient enough, teach someone about what you learn, and help guide them to better themselves, and maybe someone along your life, when you power is need it, use it. Also, by developing your abilities, you also learning discipline.

But, also, don't let your abilities dictate your goal in life or your life itself, your failing to see that you don't need power to be a hero. If you help someone, like helping an old lady with her grocery, teaching a kid how to read, or even standing up to a bully for someone. It's these little things, that have a bigger impact on society than telekinesis. While it might mean nothing to you, it may greatly impact the person you help out, you sacrifice your time for them, you showed them an act of compassion, and they will do so in return. You are planting a seed, and one day that seed will blossom into a tree, and the cycle goes on, and eventually the world would be filled with trees.

And if you really want to find a goal in life, you have search for it yourself, its an inner journey that we must all take, it won't be easy, but trust me, eventually you will find what you are seeking. Between you and me personally, you are what you want to be, but choosing what you want to be is the hardest thing in the world, and I'm trying to do the same.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
skyblueff0,

I'm not quite what your talking about, but if you mean like a golden age of intuitive people, with special abilities, and everyone live in peace. Then I believe for human as a whole it has already begun, how long it will take to complete, only god would know.

thats what I mean, I'm just troubled by the fact that some people don't want this to happen... Some people want us to be ignorant and easy to direct, I don't think you can maintain this forever, but it will certainly slow us down...

Anyways to finish off what I was saying:
What I'm talking about is, we as whole, are going through conscious paradigm shift, from a set of old belief into a new one. By doing so, I believe we can alter or change the laws of reality in which we create for ourselves. For example, Einstein's physics state that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. But, Modern Physics or Quantum Physics dictates otherwise, theres a know phenomena known as Quantum Entanglement

I love quantum physics, 've you seen what the bleep? It's what got me into things like this.

- Chris

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There is one invisible barrier which prevents anyone of us to get greater awareness. It's collective mind and how we treat each other on a global scale. We are deep inside all connected and when 3/4 of people are in poverty and suffer from wars and hunger, we cannot spiritually advance.

This is something you won't read in spiritual 'doctrines' because many were just introduced to keep people and any potential resistance over oppressive regimes at bay.

If you want real power and real enlightenment, all humanity needs to be on the right path. This is our purpose here now. Later we will get new awareness and new directions. We cannot become enlightened for real or get great spiritual power as individuals.

Well, i think, maybe majority of humanity is enough, to start developing in that direction. Also when individual becomes enlightened s/he is still returning to this world just for that purpose.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
For starters people are spiritually dunce. They are so obsessed with material goods etc... they think there gut feelings are good, when they are poisin.

The people in charge of technology like mind control, may be smart in terms of 3d reality, but when it comes down to smaller stuff, they are like the dunce of the class, when trying to interpret stuff.

Judge from that what you will. By the way is there a reason why they tell us we are all monkeys, like for a deep down reason to tell us we are all stupid etc...

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well, I believe in humanism, I believe that human are slowly making an effort to better themselves, and think for others, people want to change, but like you said, the society will live in these day make it so hard for us to do so. I mean you have understand that we are part of the group as well, you already know how hard it is for us.

The problem in society is we are dictated by desire and wants, we live in a world just dreams. But the problem is were just dreaming, we haven't wake up to face reality yet, or made an effort to make those changes.

This is why I'm so scared about the end world's prophecies. I guess this is also another thing you were talking about. The way I think of it is as insurance trap, even if not ready, this catastrophe will make us ready and will push us to move on to a new golden age.

If you haven't notice any about the human psyche it is that after a war or horrid event, of death and sorrow around us, we stray from those thing that reminds us of it, and we make an effort to find peace amongst ourselves, and show compassion and love, so it won't happen again. But unfortunately generations later never experienced what their ancestor did, and so the cycle start all over again.

But, what happens if this end world prophecies happen, it would span for years, affect everyone, kill billions, and sicken us to the core. And then we realize we are alone, that would impact us so greatly, that we would change permanently and with the old foundation of society destroyed, its possible for people to create a new one, a golden age.

OR the other opinion is learn from our mistake now, make our self-discovery, lone to tolerate each other, show compassion no matter what, and teach what we have learn to as possible, to prevent the catastrophe that is prophecized, BUT STILL MOVE ON TO THIS GOLDEN AGE. This why it so important to think not of ourselves but of other. While it might not be depicted as the prophecies, catastrophe these day will bound to happen if we don't help people make those changes.

ps. haha nah I never seen "what the bleep," but I guess I've always been interested in science and history, but when I first heard about quantum mechanics from the discovery channel, I was hooked. Haha, but I don't know much about it, sadly though it makes more sense to me than newton's physics.

new topics

top topics

join