It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Beer drinkers of the World.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I need help. I am an American who is tired of most US beer. I need more flavor and your help would be apprieciated. I want to enjoy myself over this coming holiday with some beer brewed outside of the US. I want something hoppy and full. Please feel free to suggest US beer too. There might be one out there that I haven't tried! I do enjoy a Samuel Adams from time to time but this week I want something special that I haven't tried yet. I have had wonderful success with Canadian beer so I want our northern cousins to step up and speak because theirs might be easier to find!

1. First list the brand

2. Then tell me why you like the flavor

3. Please list the brands and the reasons one at a time so it is easier to refer back to

Thank you for your input.....

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Actually, my favorite beer is a micro brew from San Francisco. It's not real easy to find but man, in my opinion it is worth the search.

It's called Anchor Steam.
It's dark and full of flavor. There's also Anchor Porter, as well as a couple of other Anchor beers. But Anchor Steam is where it's at in my book.

Anchor Steam Link

[edit on 29-6-2007 by lombozo]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Sorry I can't send you some for the weekend.I myself am a cheapskate,and a cheap drunk,(but thats another topic) Anyway I usually buy Lakeport Honey beer.It good, cheap, and I find it tastes almost as good as my beloved but too expensive Labatts Blue.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The first thing I'd recommend is hitting the microbrew pubs in your area. Almost every metropolitan area has them. The little bars that brew their own beer.

I'm a big proponent of local companies. Restaurants, hardware stores, bakeries, etc. You have the owner on site typically, and it's usually someone with a passion for the business. You can't replicate that on any level when you're dealing with MegaCorp Inc. There's "caring" and then there's "passion".

So you've got the opportunity to do some local exploring and see what the local brewmeisters are doing. My guess is you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Having said all that, if you want to try something that's non-local, my recommendation would be to check into the Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, New York. Their site has a great description of their offerings. Belgian Trappist style ale. A bit pricey, and strictly Special Occasion stuff for me. I can get it locally, and sometimes splurge. The Witte Ale would be a great one for this time of year. Light, summery, a hint of spice. They're all very good.

But all palates are different. Personally, Sam Adams is a bit too "hoppy" for my taste. I can drink it, but I wouldn't buy it.

[Edit to add]

Just an addition so you can see if what's good/bad to my palate would coincide with yours. Heineken is probably my least favorite beer. It tastes skunked to me.

[edit on 6/29/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
CW, need to know what type of flavor, texture, etc you're looking for.

Generic Canadian beers that would do are Molsen Canadian or Moosehead. They're available in the States.

I like a Dutch beer called Bavaria 8.6. Be careful though, as the name states it's 8.6% alcohol. If you're used to 4% beer this will knock you on your keester.

As far as Heineken goes, I agree with YR. You like something like that Becks is better.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Thank you all for your help. I need some education in this area. I have been drinking Missouri beer but I want something new. We have microbrews around Kansas City Missouri but I want something new. Dark and hoppy you know bitter and thick! All of you should come to KC and let me take you to a ball game and beer. We don't have a great team but we do play great teams!

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Sorry I can't send you some for the weekend.I myself am a cheapskate,and a cheap drunk,(but thats another topic) Anyway I usually buy Lakeport Honey beer.It good, cheap, and I find it tastes almost as good as my beloved but too expensive Labatts Blue.

Cheap is right in my budget! Thank you for the response. Come to the states and I will buy your beer! Better bring your boyfriend so I don't get in trouble with my lady.....

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I will be on the lookout for the Dutch beer (Bavaria 8.6). Does it have a harsh alcohol bite? Thank you for your responses.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantlyWondering
I will be on the lookout for the Dutch beer (Bavaria 8.6). Does it have a harsh alcohol bite? Thank you for your responses.

No, for a strong beer it's pretty light, almost blond.

What to look for:

It's better in the bottle than the can. After 3 you better not drive.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Cheap is right in my budget! Thank you for the response. Come to the states and I will buy your beer! Better bring your boyfriend so I don't get in trouble with my lady.....
Well I guess I'll have to find a way to get across the border and get me that beer huh?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Well I guess I'll have to find a way to get across the border and get me that beer huh?

I will make a personal request to homeland security. The US needs you!

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Right it seems as if my expertise on beer is needed

Well let me tell you guys first off that i herald from Germany, Home of the one and only Rheinheitsgebot.

That being said the best beer is definatly beer that only contains water, barley, and hops. Anything else is not real beer in my opinion, take for example Heineken, in my eyes and taste buds its nothing but "chemo" beer.

Ok that being said i like different beers depending on the occasion:

First off i like to drink Veltins which is brewed in Meschede-Grevenstein. This is your typical pilsener. Pilsener has a very light, clear colour from pale to golden yellow, and a distinct hop aroma and flavour. Veltins comes in 0,333ml or a wopping 0,5L Bottle, i prefer the latter as it means that i dont need to grab a new bottle that often

We usually drink Veltins when having a BBQ as it tastes great with Steak or Schaschlik.

Now this is Erdinger Dunkle Hefeweizen, it comes in 0,5L and should only be drunken out of a typical Weizen beer glass. I prefer the dark variety as it has a more darker full mouthed taste. This is what i drink when out in a pub, several of these and the world is a better place

Now when visiting bavaria do as the natives do

Bavarian Beer is something totally different to normal pilsener, for starters one drinks it in 1L Glasses called Maßkrug.

If visiting a Bavarian beergarden or pub do not ever ask for a small beer 0,33l as everyone will laugh at you, the smallest size which noone minds is a 0,5L beer. Remember this is Bavaria not Germany

The natives have a saying there: I bin koa Mensch, i bin aoh bayer geh!

Translated it means: I am not a human, i am a Bavarian

That being said theres so many different bavarian beers as each town with at least 500 people living in it has a brewery as well. Thats why i cant recommend any Bavarian Beers as i find them all good, so when there try out as many as you can :w: if you can manage more then 2-3 Maßkrug you certainly can be counted a man

On top of that bavaria hosts the worlds largest Beer fest each year

Oktoberfest

I might add there is one foreign beer that i do like and that is the Czech Budweiser, it is rather expensive here but now and then it sure is great so try it out.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Fett Pinkus, thank you for the education. I don't think I will be happy until I have tried your brands! I am always ready to try something new. Thanks for the direction!

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Thank you all for your help. I need some education in this area. I have been drinking Missouri beer but I want something new. We have microbrews around Kansas City Missouri but I want something new. Dark and hoppy you know bitter and thick! All of you should come to KC and let me take you to a ball game and beer. We don't have a great team but we do play great teams!

I hope to be in town later this summer and I'll look you up. Then we can both go watch the Royals lose another one and drink beer after beer after...Those Royals, God love 'em but they are a hard team to get behind the last, oh, ten years or so. Mr Kaufmann must be turning in his grave.

But I digress...
May I recommend an amusing little full flavored beer from The Phillipines by the name of San Miguel? It is a very good beer with lots of hops and rich flavor and reasonably priced, I might add, compared with some other foreign beers.

And pay no mind to yeahright's uneducated palate and try a Sam Adams, if you haven't already. I think it's a good one.

Whatever you happen to be drinking this 4th of July, cheers!

P.S. Only kidding you, yr, about your palate; you are spot on with the remark about Heineken. That's is some nasty stuff!

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
sorry~ duplicate post.

[edit on 7/4/2007 by Stormrider]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Warsteiner is my favorite import beer, its rather expensive. 8 something a 6 pack but its the best import i've tried.

top topics

join