It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to announce missions to mars and moon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
According to the AP, Bush is preparing to announce plans to establish a permanent human base on the moon and a man-on-mars mission.

(AP) Bush to Announce Mission to Mars, Moon

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Wow, wonder what made him want to do this? The fact China wants to go to the moon?

Thats the only reason I could think of.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
How are we going to get to Mars, when we haven't even set foot on the moon?:shk:

This should be interesting.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DClark
How are we going to get to Mars, when we haven't even set foot on the moon?:shk:

Riiiiiiiight....

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You're joking, right?.............The moon landing hoax has been thoroughly debugged.................must be joking.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Oh Christ, not again.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It would be much easier to fake this stuff nowadays, not to mention in 10 years! Maybe Bush will send 'embeds'. hehe

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paradigm

Oh Christ, not again.

Ditto... :shk:

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Where is the money for this venture going to come from? While I'd like to see it happen just as much as the next person, we are a little stretched for cash these days. No insult intended but it's like Bush is a teenager with his wealthy father's credit card.

Peace,
BG

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by beergoggles
Where is the money for this venture going to come from? While I'd like to see it happen just as much as the next person, we are a little stretched for cash these days. No insult intended but it's like Bush is a teenager with his wealthy father's credit card.

Amen to that... read the article I originally mentioned... no one in congress knows where the money will come from either. I know - it'll come out of the pocket of joe taxpayer.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This has already been posted- Bush is supposed to announce a manned mission to mars, via a nuclear ship, in the upcoming state of the union address-

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Prior to this the moon trip was also posted, Bush is looking to put a colony there-

Seems to me as there- is a big push because of the Chinese and their upcoming plans for exploration to same.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Bush probably saw "RocketMan" with his family and got the sudden idea to send men to Mars. For all we know, he probably thought it would be as easy and funny as in the movie.

A journey to Mars will never happen. I don't care what kind of technology we have. There will never be a person on Mars.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Journey
Seems to me as there- is a big push because of the Chinese and their upcoming plans for exploration to same.

ESA (European Space Agency) too has some big plans for the moon and Mars. If I remember correctly, the organisation is planning to send a manned European mission to Mars by 2030.

I'm pretty sure that ESA would "test" the technologies needed to go to Mars by sending a man to the moon first.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
Bush probably saw "RocketMan" with his family and got the sudden idea to send men to Mars. For all we know, he probably thought it would be as easy and funny as in the movie.

A journey to Mars will never happen. I don't care what kind of technology we have. There will never be a person on Mars.

Better get ready to have your bubble busted, because it does appear we are going to mars, a manned mission- via nuclear ship that takes only a couple of months or so to get there- we will see if this is announced in Feburary.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
How exciting. I'm pretty sure I just heard something on the local news about Bush and the Moon! I'm scared.

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
i think this is the greatest idea ever to be honest with you people. Think about the technology gained from it.

a way of saving money could be to work with eruope to share some costs, then again, we saw what happened with the ISS.

As the world as a whole, i think space exploration should be a joint venture. it could be a way of getting countries like China( communist and civil rights disobayer for hmmmmm.......50 years exactly now) to possibly " cooperate" more. otherwise, we leave them out.

As for money for it, it would cost upwards of 400-500 billion in the long run, perhaps a bond that people could buy like a war bond from WW2, for the people who addimantly oppose it, they dont have to gat a piece of the pie, but the ones that do will be rewarded in the long run.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
To be honest, if there is any truth behind the "competition with China" bit, then I think it's a huge mistake.

I don't have any hard figures or facts, but as far as I'm aware, the chinese space program is FAR from being any kind of threat to NASA. NASA is far and away the most advanced and established, and the Chinese program has to be one of the lowest.
Wow, they sent a a guy in orbit for a couple of days using 30 YEAR OLD SOVIET TECHNOLOGY, just so they could say they could.
I mean, you've got a country that has some SERIOUS infrastructure and economic problems, and can't even feed NEARLY HALF its own people, and they're spending millions of dollars on space missions that were done 30 years ago by the US and Russia.
Competing with a country like that would probably only spur them to spend even more money, and cause even more Chinese to suffer.

From a scientific viewpoint, what is the point of sending a man to Mars? It would be one thing if we knew there was life, even microscopic, or fossils of life from long ago. That would really be a scientists dream come true. But that isn't the case.

Lets also keep in mind the timetable here, guys. It would take years just to plan a trip like this, probably at least 20 or so. Even if Bush wins this election, he'll only be around for another 4 years, and then he's gone. So him making any promises about something so long term is just asinine. As soon as he's out, there will be a new congress and President and it will all be in their hands.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Bush has big plans- a manned moon colony actually. This really amazed me with the timing of this statement [Beagle] and was on MSNBC and I posted here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check it out- it is pretty wild. The technology is ready supposedly, to go to Mars and the moon.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I think this is is a great idea like i said before. Its a good way to unite alll the people here in the states fro acommon goal to have some more American heros. THis idea just make me proud to be an american now and proud of my country and president. Go Bush!!! Unlike many presidents before him he is leaving a legacy for his kids and grandchildern to inheret.

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I think this is is a great idea like i said before. Its a good way to unite alll the people here in the states fro acommon goal to have some more American heros. THis idea just make me proud to be an american now and proud of my country and president. Go Bush!!! Unlike many presidents before him he is leaving a legacy for his kids and grandchildern to inheret.

Legacy? Let's slow down there, tiger.

I'm not about to hop on the bandwagon of the ATS forums and be mindlessly anti-bush, but this talk of the moon and mars is still very much just that, talk.

With the instability in the world right now, upcoming elections this fall, terror threats still....any number of things could happen.

I'm a big fan and supporter of the space program, as it seems to be one endevaour that can bring ALL people in the world together on. I mean, who WASN'T just a little excited looking at those pictures from Mars the other day?

But like I said, we are in a precarious situation right now. Just one major terrorist strike against the US could dismantle thise whole idea, as people and government will panic and funds will be shifted to defense or aid.

I really hope this all works out, and that we can send men to Mars and back to the moon safely. I think that would help bring the world a little closer together. But this is nothing concrete yet. Let's not jump the gun.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join