It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Soviet Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I am from Romania, we joined the EU this year, and I regret it.
We will receive orders and laws from the EU and we will obey them, because "nothing wrong can come from EU"
In our Constitution it says : "independent and self governed country", from where then do all these rules that nobody asked me if I like them or not, appear ? My influence on these laws from outside is almost nothing.
Where is the democracy , and the people that govern themselves ?

Good things from the EU - the freedom to travel and work everywhere in Europe. If indeed the people of Europe are friends and the European Union is their creation and their will, then the EU should stop at that, nothing more.

The EU constitution did not pass the vote of the people, it did not pass in the Netherlands and it did not pass in France.
But our "beloved leaders" found a way around our will : they named it a "treaty" not a "constitution"

www.ft.com...=af8307da-1822-11dc-b736-000b5df10621.html

It will no longer be a “constitution” and there will be some cosmetic changes to make it sound less threatening, but much of the original text remains. This is slightly embarrassing for countries like Britain, France and the Netherlands who are backtracking on referendum promises.

If all goes smoothly - and it is a big if - the new treaty could be in force in 2009 after ratification mainly in national parliaments.

EXPECTED TO STAY IN

● Full-time EU president - replacing six-monthly rotating presidency

● Single EU foreign minister (with a different name)

● European diplomatic service

● Slimmed-down 18-member European Commission (may be negotiable later)

● More qualified majority voting, fewer vetoes

● New voting system to make it easier to reach decisions

● Legal personality for the EU, allowing it to sign international treaties

EXPECTED TO BE AXED

● The “constitution” title: new text will simply amend old treaties

● Symbols of statehood: flag, anthem, motto (all will remain in practice)

● Charter of fundamental rights (but only hidden in an annex)

● Reference to primacy of EU law (it’s a fact anyway)

A former russian who opposed communism compares the European Union with the Soviet Union :

www.prisonplanet.com...

It is no accident that the European Parliament, for example, reminds me of the Supreme Soviet. It looks like the Supreme Soviet because it was designed like it. Similary, when you look at the European Commission it looks like the Politburo. I mean it does so exactly, except for the fact that the Commission now has 25 members and the Politburo usually had 13 or 15 members. Apart from that they are exactly the same, unaccountable to anyone, not directly elected by anyone at all. When you look into all this bizarre activity of the European Union with its 80,000 pages of regulations it looks like Gosplan. We used to have an organisation which was planning everything in the economy, to the last nut and bolt, five years in advance. Exactly the same thing is happening in the EU. When you look at the type of EU corruption, it is exactly the Soviet type of corruption, going from top to bottom rather than going from bottom to top.

PB: But all these countries that joined the European Union did so voluntarily.

VB: No, they did not. Look at Denmark which voted against the Maastricht treaty twice. Look at Ireland [which voted against the Nice treaty]. Look at many other countries, they are under enormous pressure. It is almost blackmail. Switzerland was forced to vote five times in a referendum. All five times they have rejected it, but who knows what will happen the sixth time, the seventh time. It is always the same thing. It is a trick for idiots. The people have to vote in referendums until the people vote the way that is wanted. Then they have to stop voting. Why stop? Let us continue voting. The European Union is what Americans would call a shotgun marriage.

[edit on 29-6-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ah, don't be so pessimistic. Romanian economy will only benefit from EU and you will get better laws and more order. And of course big shopping centers.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I confess ignorance to precisely "what" the EU is. Is it a trade agreement like NAFTA? Is it a country? Doe's the EU have "countries" like we in the U.S. have states? I truly don't understand precisely what it is.....

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Zenagain]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It's a political and economic alliance. The members are heavily integrated. It is not (yet) a sovereign country.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
You cant really complain about joining the EU, your country voted to join. They passed all the tests and got accepted.

Romania will only benefit, and once you get the Euro (by law all new EU countries have to eventually take on the Euro Currency). It will be even better.

Welcome to Europe.

For the person who didn’t know what the EU really was, think of it like the USA, its Europe – with 27 states, but they are not states, they are still countries.

We all have EU Passports, we can live and work in any other EU country, just as if it where our own, we are entitled to Health and Social Benefits in any EU country, we are EU Citizens. We share one currency – the Euro (well most of us, UK, Denmark and Sweden didn’t take the EURO, but by law, Sweden, the 10 countries that joined in 2004 and the 2 that joined in 2007 have to eventually take on the EURO currency, Denmark has said it will eventually have the Euro too – although they don’t have to. The UK I don’t think they will, but in the end they might have to as the will eventually be the only EU country without it).

We have more countries who are trying to join us, Turkey, Croatia and so on.

Eventually one day I believe the EU will become 1 country, it will be the USE – United States of Europe.

But I’m all for it, I love the EU and everything it brings.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
And when the NAU (North American Union) comes, it will join the EU and ASEAN as world economic unions, encompassing most of the world. They say it is economic, but it is just another step towards one world government. I agree that it is only good for a few. Most will suffer. I used to believe NAFTA was a good idea, not any more.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by TheComte]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
And when the NAU (North American Union) comes, it will join the EU and ASEAN as world economic unions, encompassing most of the world. They say it is economic, but it is just another step towards one world government. I agree that it is only good for a few. Most will suffer. I used to believe NAFTA was a good idea, not any more.

Add to that the already established “African Union” which has all 53 African states, Eventually, the AU aims to have a single currency and a single integrated defence force, as well as other institutions of state, including a cabinet for the AU Head of State.

Now add the the relitivily new Union of South American Nations, which is moddeled on the EU – it has 12 member countries.

We only need now Oceana and Asia to form one, eventually the world will probably only have 6 countries, United States of Europe, North America, The peoples republic of Asia, Africa, The republic of South America and Oceana.

Eventually, those 6 will probably join together and form a new world government.

Long time though.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The new Soviet Union? I stopped reading there honestly. Romania should be very thankful its in

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
3_Libras did you read what I wrote ?
If the EU is really the result of the friendship between the people in Europe then free travel and free work everywhere is enough, nothing else needed
I would be thankful for that, I am not thankful for what is going on now, and I can give up those 2 things, better without them than with all those rules coming from outside
Yes the majority in Romania like the EU, I am a minority

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think the EU is too flawed at present to continue to exist other than on paper for much longer. Consider the EU's "mother and father"-Germany and France. It's no secret that both countries' economies are in shambles and both are nowhere near their self-imposed EU economic targets.

Is it time for the countries of the EU to "go back to the drawing board", or is it time scrap the idea of a unified Europe altogether?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The EU (formally the EEC) is 50 years old and growing, it’s not about to fall apart.

new topics

top topics

join