It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone for everyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I used to think that there was someone for everyone but after so many failed attempts at flying I'm beginning to think this might not be the case.

Now maybe some people will just go their whole lives without finding someone they can spend the rest of their life with. I'm sure it's happened thousands of time's all over.

Now at first this kinda depressed me, what if there is no one out there for me?

But then i got to thinking maybe this isn't so bad. what's so bad about being single your whole life? do you really need a significant other to make you feel loved? is it not possible to love yourself and make you the only person you ever need? i realize being with someone has benefits both legally and in the bedroom and if you meet the right person by all means its worth it to get married. but if you never find someone is it a big deal?

now maybe this is just a "phase" or "something". maybe everyone feels this way at some point in their lives

i'm still young so i don't necessarily think this is the case for me. i think i will find someone, eventually, most people do.. right? but atleast i'll be prepared when no one shows up

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Some people might say you have a dark attitude, but after what I"ve been through in my life -- keeping in mind I'm rapidly approaching 43 -- there are MUCH worse things than being single.

When you're single there are drawbacks, yes. If you have kids, you're going it alone, which can be tiring. Nobody to take care of you when you're sick. No "instant date." Nobody keeping the bed warm when you have to work late.

But there are some great things: Nobody steals the covers. You can drink from the carton and put it back in the fridge. You can wear whatever scuzzy old underwear you want because they're comfy and nobody's going to give you stick over it. You get to eat the last of the ice cream or cookies every time. Stay out as late as you want with no explanation necessary. I could go on and on. Belieeeeeeeve me I could.

I don't believe there are such things as "soul mates" and "the right person" for most people. I think there are people you can get along with for a while, and people you can't. The lucky ones are the ones that find someone they can love for a lifetime, but looking at the divorce rate I'd say those ones are very rare, and those relationships take a whole lotta work to fly. Not to mention a lot of the oldtimers like my grandparents, had abusive undertones, and the relationships weren't exactly equal.

Just enjoy life as it comes at you, is my advice. Enjoy the company of whoever comes along but don't make a federal case out of every person you spend a little time with and definitely don't go out deliberately trying to find a long-term relationship.

If you find Ms. Right, great! If you don't, there's always Ms. Right Now.

And sometimes it's nice to just sit around in your underwear drinking from the carton and watching Jackass with five months' worth of dust bunnies under the sofa and fridge food so moldy it qualifies as a pharmaceutical company.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Phantom
I used to think that there was someone for everyone but after so many failed attempts at flying I'm beginning to think this might not be the case.

But then i got to thinking maybe this isn't so bad. what's so bad about being single your whole life?

Well, as someone who is currently single and have been for about four years now, I have to say that the thought of dying alone is terrifying to me. What I mean is that the thought of me passing and no one there to hold my hand while I pass over is really scary to me.

I have to honestly say that the single life is not at all what some want to crack it up to be. It is lonesome and, at least to me, somewhat sorrowful.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Phantom- it's like you said yourself, you are young.You will find someone, do not worry about it.It will be the most wonderful thing when you do.Some people find each other in their teens, and others much later in life.I do believe there is someone for everyone, it just takes some of us longer than others.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Some people might say you have a dark attitude,
lol yes they might

but after what I"ve been through in my life -- keeping in mind I'm rapidly approaching 43 -- there are MUCH worse things than being single.
yea i believe it!

I don't believe there are such things as "soul mates" and "the right person" for most people. I think there are people you can get along with for a while, and people you can't. The lucky ones are the ones that find someone they can love for a lifetime, but looking at the divorce rate I'd say those ones are very rare, and those relationships take a whole lotta work to fly. Not to mention a lot of the oldtimers like my grandparents, had abusive undertones, and the relationships weren't exactly equal.

real talk^

Just enjoy life as it comes at you, is my advice. Enjoy the company of whoever comes along but don't make a federal case out of every person you spend a little time with and definitely don't go out deliberately trying to find a long-term relationship.

If you find Ms. Right, great! If you don't, there's always Ms. Right Now.

And sometimes it's nice to just sit around in your underwear drinking from the carton and watching Jackass with five months' worth of dust bunnies under the sofa and fridge food so moldy it qualifies as a pharmaceutical company.

yea i never deliberately go out and try and find anyone. if theres someone for me i wont have to

thanks for the input MM

[edit on 28-6-2007 by The Phantom]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Well, as someone who is currently single and have been for about four years now, I have to say that the thought of dying alone is terrifying to me. What I mean is that the thought of me passing and no one there to hold my hand while I pass over is really scary to me.

I have to honestly say that the single life is not at all what some want to crack it up to be. It is lonesome and, at least to me, somewhat sorrowful.

hey man i know where youre coming from.. it does suck but you can keep your head up you know? anyways youve heard all that before im sure.. thanks for the post man

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Phantom- it's like you said yourself, you are young.You will find someone, do not worry about it.
im not so much worried about it as i am interested or curious about it

It will be the most wonderful thing when you do.
i hope so..[quote[Some people find each other in their teens, and others much later in life.I do believe there is someone for everyone, it just takes some of us longer than others.

thanks for the input AD

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Hi Phantom, yeah, you're young to be worried about this.

"Lightening can Strike" some say, and I believe this to be true. To go searching for that special person if fine, but the harder you try the further away they can seem sometimes.

To just try to get on with life and be as happy as possible in your present situation, it's better to be more "you". Not trying to impress or inflate an ego to get that person. When you meet someone new, they will meet the "real" you and give any potential relationship a more honest start.

I've been single for years now mainly from personal choice. I spent most of my grown up life trying to find "miss right" and it only gave pain and dissappointment in the end. So I decided to get on with being happy and maybe let her find me. Things have never been better and the thought of being alone is something quite natural to me now. Although like I said..lightening can strike, I'm still prepared for that to happen and will have my eyes wide open if it does.

So good luck Phantom, and for some interesting insights into the "single" life, check out my thread here about being celibate. There's plenty of interesting opinions to be had there.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
some of you seem to be under the impression that i am unhappy or worried

this is not the case at all

thanks for the post nerbot

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I believe whatever you believe becomes your reality.

If you believe you can't win, then you wont....If you believe you can win, you will... The human mind is a feedback loop.

If you really want to find someone and put your mind to the how then things can and will change. In any event projecting a sense of gloom or desperation is not very attractive.

You have to start with the fundementals of what attracts ?

Polish yourself. Focus on making yourself a more interesting attractive and positive person and people will want your company.

posted on Jul, 6 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Oi, it's just a phase. I went through the same thing. Then I met her, but then we got separated. For reasons we couldn't control. I'll find her again hopefully.

Whatever you do, man, don't make the mistake I did. There was a point I started sleeping with everything that was at the local pub. Insanity followed.

Keep looking, the one for you is out there. You're giving up and that wont help. Quitters never win. Are you a quitter?! Don't you quit on me! Get out there and find her! Do it now, move!

new topics

top topics

join