It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High court rejects school race plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

High court rejects school race plans

www.cnn.com

A bitterly divided U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday ruled race cannot be a factor when assigning children to public schools. The court struck down public school choice plans in Seattle and Louisville, concluding they relied on an unconstitutional use of racial criteria. Similar plans already in place across the country could now be threatened.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
IMO this decision was overdue. The spirit of Brown was to create a society where people are treated in a colorblind manner, according to their merit. This was also the intent of the late Dr. King. People have the right to live and go to school in the same neighborhood; if the schools self segregate according to the racial makeup of the neighborhood, that is not the business of the government. If there is a problem with a school not being able to operate due to financial constraints or incompetent administrators, the state should take it over and reform it or fund it. Make teaching the kids a priority, not what color their skin is. If race is such a factor, then prove it medically by showing me that being born a certain color makes one smarter or dumber--then I would support racial quotas. There is no such linkage. A 100% black school can produce just as many smart, educated graduates as a 100% Asian or "white" school; what is needed is a supportive family and community, competent teachers, strict discipline, and adequate funding. The Catholic schools have shown that minority kids can be taught for 1/3 the cost of the public schools in the same neighborhoods and send the grads to college at far higher rates. It is not about money or quotas; it is about motivated parents, competent teachers, and discipline.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2007 by j_kalin]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I agree, I am happy this has been struck down. Kids should go to school in their neighborhoods, not be shipped around because there needs to be quotas met.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think this was intended to address disparities in different schools. After all, school funding (and arguably quality) is directly related to the wealth of the neighborhood. So, poorer areas have worse schools.

Seems to me that this will keep many youth from obtaining a solid education. Now, if this is done along with putting more wealth into poorer neighborhoods, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Of course, THAT will never happen.

Looks like kids with great academic potential will be hindered from achieving a quality education, based on their being residents of a poor neighborhood.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The following link might help some people understand why this issue was addressed.

skepdic.com...

Interesting read, but I don't know the website, so I don't know what kind of message it's trying to portray. (Hopefully not bad.)

Fontkjemper

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
I think this was intended to address disparities in different schools. After all, school funding (and arguably quality) is directly related to the wealth of the neighborhood. So, poorer areas have worse schools.

Seems to me that this will keep many youth from obtaining a solid education. Now, if this is done along with putting more wealth into poorer neighborhoods, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Of course, THAT will never happen.

Looks like kids with great academic potential will be hindered from achieving a quality education, based on their being residents of a poor neighborhood.

You do not need money to learn how to add, subtract, read, write, count. These are all things parents can very easily teach their children in little time for FREE. Schools do not need extravagance to function, they must be supported by the community though.

Of course the children have to have parents and those parents need to be competent themselves. It is not about not having money it is about not having a sense of community and not caring about an education and not taking responsibility in general for anything. Considering blacks have close to a 70% rate of bastardization it is no wonder their kids are lacking in education.

The blacks that do take responsibility for themselves and plan long term "no shiny rims and platinum and "ICE"" are able to better themselves and give their children a better start. You'll notice they run to the "white" communities as fast as they can to escape the animals they were surrounded by growing up. You'll also notice them being accepted by their neighbors. I feel bad for those who strive to achieve because the others give them a bad name.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Spin this yarn to an idiot who doesn't know better.

I've seen studies about that which I spoke of. I place more value in that than in your uninformed opinion.

But hey, you can't expect much from "animals," as you say.

Matter of fact, Oprah did a show about this months back. The stark contrast between the facilities of the richer (whiter) and poorer (blacker) schools was amazing. But don't let that stop you from running your mouth about the animals.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by truthseeka]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Matter of fact, Oprah did a show about this months back. The stark contrast between the facilities of the richer (whiter) and poorer (blacker) schools was amazing.

Saw something like that myself. Probably on Oprah. It's crazy how their school was just falling apart in contrast to that of a "white" school. Like their gym equipment was hardly existant in comparison to the "whiter" school where they basically had state of the art equipment. Really crazy to think that the values differ so much from poor to rich (or even middle class) schools. I mean, they're all run by the government, so in theory, they should all get an equal cut.

Frontkjemper

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Existing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

top topics

join