It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans...Protect your National Symbol.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The Bald Eagle, the national symbol of The United States of America, is due to be taken off the Endangered Species list.

Read the latest "SCmonitor.com" Article Here

Read the full "NPR.org" Article Here

Although this is good news and shows that it is now breeding at a reasonable rate, these changes, as of today or tomorrow (28th/29th June 2007) mean it will be living in a different world!

The existing Bald Eagle Protection Act (16 U.S.C. §§ 668-668d, June 8, 1940, as amended 1959, 1962, 1972, and 1978.) is still in effect....BUT, new issues particularly regarding one definition in the act are making me wonder how well this "Regal" bird of prey is going to cope in the future and whether it is destined to return to the "Endangered Species List"?

From the protection Act:
Selected Definitions. Take: includes pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb.

The definition of the word "disturb" and the fact that this "taking off the list" will remove the protection that they need to continue to thrive is what's bothering me!

from Dictionary.com:
1. to interrupt the quiet, rest, peace, or order of; unsettle.
2. to interfere with; interrupt; hinder: Please do not disturb me when I'm working.
3. to interfere with the arrangement, order, or harmony of; disarrange: to disturb the papers on her desk.
4. to perplex; trouble: to be disturbed by strange behavior.
–verb (used without object)
5. to cause disturbance to someone's sleep, rest, etc.: Do not disturb.

Seems simple enough to me?

From NPR.org:
"If they go forward with their proposal, I think the eagle is essentially unprotected from harm caused by development," said John Kostyack, a lawyer for the National Wildlife Federation.

He said that when the eagle comes off the list, it will be protected by other federal laws — primarily the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. He says how much protection the eagle gets could come down to how the Bush administration defines just one word, "disturb." The law says it's illegal to disturb an eagle. But what does that mean?

In Hall's memo, he wrote that the proposed definition of disturb would be "very difficult to enforce without evidence of a dead or injured eagle."

Environmentalist John Kostyack agrees. "If the current proposal goes forward, developers will be essentially told that it's OK to pull up right next to a nesting tree and operate a jackhammer, and completely agitate eagles, to the point where they're no longer going to be able to breed."

See the Full NPR.org Article Here(Feb 7th, 2007)

From CSmonitor.com:
Under an updated FWS's regulatory definition, disturbing now includes any human activity that drives the eagle away from its nests. So developers whose operations drive the birds away will now fit the definition of "disturbing" and be subject to federal sanctions.

That new definition rankles Edmund Contoski, a Minnesota developer, who, now that the eagle is to be delisted from the ESA, has his sights set on building a subdivision on property abutting the shore of Sullivan Lake in Minnesota. It was Mr. Contoski's successful federal lawsuit and court order that nudged the FWS toward delisting the eagle after an eight year-long delay.

Now his attorney says he'll sue again if the updated eagle protection act prevents him building on Sullivan Lake.

Hopefully this is now sorted out and the definition is clear enough to prevent stupid "loopholes" to plunder the environment. Sounds to me like "The White House" has tried to write some "newspeak" to me, trying to give more powers to the property developers.

Money, money, money.

Let's hope there is an "Eagle eye" on those developers eh...

Here in France we have many beautiful "Birds of Prey" and they are a real pleasure to watch. Fortunately, they are welcomed by most people here, in particular, the farmers who would normally shoot anything that moves, but they love the free vermin control!

So I for one hope this will remain a success story and this beautiful bird will remain strong and free.....the symbol of America. And not cast aside for the persuit of that "quick buck" by some "fat cat".

The following links contain a selection of articles and information. Please feel free to add more.

Read the Full CNN.com June 7, 2007 Article " Bald eagle soaring 'success,' but at what cost?" Here

Baldeagleinfo.com

Waterside Development links (links to articles concerning waterside developments, many in the USA)

USFlag.org(history and facts)

Finally, do you see Bald Eagles where you live and to what effects do you think "waterside development" has in your state? Nice to have a place by the water, but at what price

Thankyou.

[edit on 28/6/2007 by nerbot]

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It's great to hear that your Bald Eagle has been taken off the endangered species list. It is an amazing animal.

Now, what can we do about the rest of the endangered animals?

Endangered Species List

It makes me want to vomit, seeing how long that page goes down for.
I think there are well over 3, 700 names on that list.

Humans.:shk:
This is what we can do, given a few Bison:

Those are skulls. I wonder if he feels proud, standing atop that pile? This is what the mighty human can do!

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

from watch_the_rocks:
It's great to hear that your Bald Eagle has been taken off the endangered species list. It is an amazing animal.

Yes, an amazing animal. Not "my" Bald Eagle though. Although we have many birds of prey, we don't get them here in France.

I have been amazed at the lack of interest from the supposed "patriotic" and freedom-seeking Americans out there.

How can they expect to have their freedom and liberty if they cannot even be concerned for the symbols that represent them?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Its great that the bald eagle is no longer endangered, but they should leave the restrictions on the birds so that the hunters don't decide to have a free for all and kill them all off.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well, there's no reason to keep them on the endangered list if they're no longer endangered. However, I think there is another option here. Why not make the bald eagle the official American symbol and ban killing them? Lots of states do this with their state flower, this wouldn't be a huge stretch.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I really don't understand... The bird has been on the endangered species list for as long as I can remember, now they are removing all restrictions on the bird... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
Well, there's no reason to keep them on the endangered list if they're no longer endangered. However, I think there is another option here. Why not make the bald eagle the official American symbol and ban killing them?

I thought it already was the official bird of the United States?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

from blue triangle:
Why not make the bald eagle the official American symbol and ban killing them?

It is already Americas National symbol and I agree it should be illegal to kill one, actually it should be illegal to kill LOTS of things but I won't go into that now! I think also, that this is more about destruction of thier natural habitats for profit to satisfy the human pursuit to live in more rural and natural surroundings, in particular, riverside, coastal and lakeside homes, hotels and commercial centres.

It would be hard to prosecute a developer for killing an eagle without proof and this in my opinion is about the birds being selfishly driven from normally peaceful sites and not re-producing (not everyone can do "it" with the neigbours banging on the wall!)

Let's hope the Bald Eagle Protection Act is carefully adhered to and will not get ignored by "fatcats" and politicians. This is where I can't help you much being in France. You know the authorities and the system in America better than I do, so keep an eye on this "king" of the birds for us eh!....................Freedom to fly.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It was taken off the list because the population has recovered enough it no longer needs to be on the list.

The population had recovered and met the criteria for removal almost 15 years ago, but junk science and propaganda kept it on the list. They are so common around here they almost rise to the level of pest and nuisance.

Yeah, I enjoy watching them. But the the time has come to declare success and remove them from the endangered species list.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What is the purpose of killing a bald eagle anyway? It's, at least not to my knowledge, not good for eating. So what possible reason would anyone have to kill the bird other than "sport?"

[edit on 10-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

from dave_54:
They are so common around here they almost rise to the level of pest and nuisance.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.....how exactly are these birds a pest and nuisance to you (unless you are a property developer and can't build) and what state do you live in?

Have you actually read any of the articles and information?

new topics

top topics

join