It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology explaination

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
You risk your life because you choose to....

Therefore, they, nor I, owe you anything....

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azazelus
How do you start a thread wanting to understand something, and then end up mocking it?

2:17 - thread started and he supposedly doesn't know anything about scientology. (can't use google?)

2:33 (25 minutes later) He's now up on them and is in 'shock'.

3:21 (37 minutes later) He's now threatening violence to anyone who he knows who would join and he now knows Scientology well enough to worry that 'they will come and get him'.

I could be just cynical .. but something isn't right.
(And no, I'm not a scientologist)

[edit on 6/28/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Years ago, I read hubbards "Decology" Invasion Earth, and thoroughly enjoyed it - although there is speculation that a few of the later books were written by his followers after his death.

It was for this reason that I tried to read Dianetics - and to be honest, I couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

Think I'll stick to Niven & Pournelle in future

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ok, I'll step up. I'll be a man and admit I was wrong. Wrong for bad mouthing that which I don't believe or understand. I apologise if I offended anyone.

Now what I would like to know about Scientology is what is it classified as. Religion or a cult?

[quote=Azazelus]You risk your life because you choose to....

Therefore, they, nor I, owe you anything....

Never said anyone owes me anything. I chose, yes. But with that choice...ah, screw it, just easier to shut up, I'm too tired for this crap.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Echo3Foxtrot]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
Religion or a cult?

Technically all religions are cults. At least in the historical sense.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Wow, got the info I needed. Thanks to those who had some helpful insight.

And for those of you wondering...yeah, I could have googled it, but I'm lazy.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
In the US it's officially recognised as a religion.

In Europe it's a cult.

Hope this clears it up

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Well, if you're lazy then you're very low on the Scientology spiritual thingamajig and you need a good spanky from John Travolta.

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

One more question. Is this classified as a religion or cult?

Yes. Depending upon who's doing the classifying.

Pick your authority.

Kinda like classifying who's a terrorist and who's a "freedom fighter". (Not the best example, but you get the point).

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Well, if you're lazy then you're very low on the Scientology spiritual thingamajig and you need a good spanky from John Travolta.

Peace

I wish I could dance like Johnny T. Wait...John Travolta is a Scientologist?! I thought only crappy actors were under the brainwashing. Yes, it is brainwashing, I've concluded on that.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well, seeing that it has an interesting following, I would classify it as a semi-religion. Not sure where to put it in my own mind. I'm pretty sure they use brainwashing techniques though.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Echo3Foxtrot]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Strangely, they believe that the holocaust was caused by psychiatrists.

Now that is really bizarre.

I hold no love for the field, but this is patently absurd.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Although I think Mr. Echo-Foxtrot is being disingenuous with respect to his knowledge or lack thereof in Scientology, he does bring up a good discussion point, ie, whether it is a cult or religion. A cult, IMO, is a religion that has not yet gained the critical mass to influence the greater culture and thus incorporate it's belief system into the governing body politic. A case in point is Christianity. Prior to about AD 400, it was rightfully referred to by the Roman government as a cult, that is a group of people who held a shared belief in something that was diametrically opposed to the ruling political philospohy and they collected money from the followers and funnelled it up the chain of command to the top dog who made the rules. Eventually, they outnumbered the non-Christians; at that point, they converted the emperor Constantine, the values of Christianity were incorporated into Roman law, and it ceased to be a cult and became the Roman Catholic religion. Scientology is still a cult since it's beliefs are by no means accepted by the US government or culture at large. Our laws are still based on "Judeo-Christian" ethics. Based on this definition, other cults are Islam, Buddhism, Atheism, Wicca, Rael, etc...

I just took the "entrance exam", the OCA personality test online. I have to go to the Scientology center to get the results...I guess that is when they stick the electrodes on me...

[edit on 28-6-2007 by j_kalin]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I would seriously, at this point, love to meet someone who believes in this BS. I would straight dropkick them in the face. Try to knock some sence into them.

I'd like to dropkick someone in the face who believes anything that involves a big ruler in the sky who just like, creates people or whatever. lol maybe I could knock some sense into them, oh no wait, that's half the world and they'd surely hunt me down

lol only joking, I can usually tolerate silly stories like that. But yeah this Scientology lark does seem a bit out there tbh. I'd probably class it as a religion now that it is well known because of celebrities joining it's churches and promoting it, Tom Cruise for example. But before that I think it would have been more of a cult, more underground, you know.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I don't know...hard to say just how big the following on this really is. Sure theres big name movie stars who follow it, but how many average joes do you know that follow it? I have met none. (save your comments) Though now that I've had some time to actually process some thought in my otherwise empty head, damn you 24 hour shifts, I would like to actually sit down with someone who follows this and have a discussion of what they believe they are believing in. And for further study, talk with multiple followers justto see if they can all give the same story. I mean, chances are there could be mixed stories into what people think Scientology is about.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I would like to actually sit down with someone who follows this and have a discussion of what they believe they are believing in. And for further study, talk with multiple followers justto see if they can all give the same story. I mean, chances are there could be mixed stories into what people think Scientology is about.

Yeah it's always better and interesting to sit down and ask someone why they believe something rather than just assuming they're inferior or crazy. I mean, they might even have some good points that you didn't consider before.

And for the record i've met some 'Christians' who didn't know jack about Christianity. I mean they knew less than me and i'm not even a Christian. Stuff like not even knowing the point in Easter... haha don't get me started.....

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

In the US it's officially recognised as a religion.

In Europe it's a cult.

funny, i always though it was a business.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by j_kalin
Based on this definition, other cults are Islam, Buddhism, Atheism, Wicca, Rael, etc...

[edit on 28-6-2007 by j_kalin]

Based on your definition, why wouldn't Islam be a religion? There are countries whose laws are based on its teachings.

Oh, and the book Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard was a good one. I know the movie sucked.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by TheComte]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
One of the key differences between a cult and a religion is that religious authorities can seek tax breaks and government funding. A grouping of Atheists can not apply for such things - discrimination?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
THIS is the official Scientology site. I have found that it is best to ask the people actually of a certain religion what they believe, rather than going to others outside the religion.

Always go to the source.

No, always get both sides and figure it out. Scientology tells lots of lies on their website and in their history. Why only read what $cientology tells you to believe?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join