It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court deals severe blow to school integration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Supreme Court deals severe blow to school integration

sfgate.com

The Supreme Court dealt a severe blow to school integration efforts today, ruling that the Constitution forbids assigning students to particular schools because of their race, even when the goal is campus diversity.

The 5-4 ruling, on the last day of the 2006-07 term, came 53 years after the court unanimously outlawed racial segregation in public schools and declared that segregated schools are inherently unequal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The swing to the right continues. I have to admit that this one has me torn. Having been to schools where bussing was enforced, the kids being bussed in were not happy and acted out. Those not bussed in were not happy with these students and thier behavior so they acted out. If anything forced bussing made tensions far worse (at least in my school).

sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I dont see why anyone has to be bussed in outside of their closest school. If a school is in a predominatley black, hispanic, asian, white district, let it just be. It is not as if anyone forced it to be that way. and it is not as if there is no diversity in the school. forced segregation is wrong, but so is forced bussing just to meet a diversity quota. Wrong solution. continue to ban segregation and simply let the population be how it is in whatever district.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well this is kind of confusing when you try to apply discrimination laws in the school system.

I do not approve any children been bused to a school far from their home just to fill out some quota.

When I moved to the south the area where the military base is located is in a predominant black population, I research the schools and then I visited the schools.

It was horrible, because the area was considered the poor and trouble ridden side of town, the criminality and teen pregnacy was over the roof.

What I did, very simple, I move to the nearest country that was in a more to my taste community.

Did it make a difference, well while my daughter looks like any American girl, my son had difficulties with been and looking Spanish.

Yes I had a hell of the time with him in a school that was mostly white students.

Sometimes is good sometimes is bad, but I guess it should be the parents choice to do as its needed for their children best educational choices.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This had little to do with discrimination, and much more to do with common sense.

Just a step closer to MLK's dream of not judging people by the color of their skin!

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Man, this story was on the news the whole day yesterday and I still do not understand what the problem with this decision is from both sides? Can some one explain?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
We suck at educating our kids, why aren't we worrying about that instead?

Why is the Supreme Court even ruling on this crap? Why don't they rule that "No child left behind" is BS? Why don't they rule on kicking the illegals out of the country?

Peace

top topics

join