It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does a LCD or Plasma TV Save on Power? Nope!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Guess what everyone!? People that think they are saving power by buying a large screen LCD or Plasma TV better think again. I always try to do my best to reduce the polluting, energy consumption and waste on this earth, so this article caught my attention.

Yahoo Article on Plasma and LCD Power Usage

Beyond this level, things really start to get hairy. Of course, you can't find CRTs beyond this size any more, but Philips' 47-inch LCD consumes a whopping 290 watts and its 50-inch plasma eats up a mind-bending 400 watts! If you replaced a 26-inch CRT with that 50-inch plasma, you more than tripled your power bill on that outlet.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Now that is interesting. I was curious about that. I just acquired a 60" projection TV and it says it only uses 300W. I thought for sure that some day when I eventually convert everything I have to LCD or plasma that I will be swimming in money, but I guess not.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
yep TV's draw tons of juice. want to lower your electric bill turn off completely your tv and all of it's accessories. I read an article a few years back in the LA Times where they calulated that even your cable box pulls 170 watts! and when "turned off" anything other than unpluggingthe tv icluding physically turning it off is really just it going into standby mode where it still draws almost 50% the juice it normally does. so your turned off cable box is actually pulling 80watts, even though all we see is a tiny red light on in the corner.

and we worry about our light bulbs and their 75 watts running us into financial ruin on our utility bill.

always good to know that in reality the guy with the 400 watt metal halide sodium pressure street lamp in his closet thats running 24/7 is spending less on electricity than the guy next door who runs his tv all day and night. ah the myth of your electric bill ratting you out.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
yep TV's draw tons of juice. want to lower your electric bill turn off completely your tv and all of it's accessories. I read an article a few years back in the LA Times where they calulated that even your cable box pulls 170 watts! and when "turned off" anything other than unpluggingthe tv icluding physically turning it off is really just it going into standby mode where it still draws almost 50% the juice it normally does. so your turned off cable box is actually pulling 80watts, even though all we see is a tiny red light on in the corner.

More info I did not know. I understood that the standby circuits drew some current, but not that much. I feel compelled to make a couple switched outlets and check the actual difference on my electric bill shutting off three TV's and two satellite boxes when not in use.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
my electrical bill went from $55 to $35 it makes a difference. everyhting draws lots of power these days. some friends that have studios in older parts of LA like Los Feliz and Silver lake (echo park area) need to have all these capaciters and voltage/amperage regulators just to keep a steady 120 line at 14 amps coming in because so much stuff takes more and more juice. we think we're getting more efficient at all this stuff but unfortunately the individual circuits are more efficient but we just keep cramming more and more crap into the box so the over all power usage is more.

top topics

join