It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Immigration Bill Suffers Crushing Defeat

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien42
It's amazing that so many senators voted for the bill, knowing that the majority of the population didn't support it. Neither the president or congress seem to care about what the American people want anymore...

I was listening to a Senator on a talk radio show today. He said he had received calls from some of his constituents saying that they would never vote for him again if he supported this bill. He said that he weighs the pros and cons of every bill he votes on, and that he would not be intimidated by "threats" like that.

That tells me that he thinks he knows better than the voters.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
He said he had received calls from some of his constituents saying that they would never vote for him again if he supported this bill. He said that he weighs the

pros and cons of every bill he votes on

, and that he would not be intimidated by "threats" like that.

I can only think of one pro and that is cheap labor, however on the other hand (con side) there are numerous con items explain that.

For those saying they are doing jobs Americans will not do; do not even go there I know better. Americans did them before they arrived and they would do them again if they were paid a fair wage. Hell right now High School kids are complaining they cannot get jobs because Hispanics have them. I am talking about jobs at Mickey D's etc that normally have been filled by American Students.

Using that they are doing jobs Americans will not do is a darn right cop out. They are now taking jobs in the trades like, building plumbing etc and we all know Americans will do those jobs just as they would do the other jobs, yes even chicken plucking if need be. Build the fence, build it high, real HIGH.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Exactly jsobecky. The senators needs to be remembered that they WORK FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, not themselves. They are the servents of the american people, not the authorities like they like to call themselves, they MUST obey the will of the american people, that is democracy and that's why they are there.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I agree. It is good this bill did not pass. It's unfair for both sides of the issue, but there is one funny thing from a lot the responses here that are just ridiculous. All I have to say is that globalization is inevitable. No fence is high enough and no current law is strong enough to stop the inevitable.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This whole thing is a lie. What would happen if amnesty was granted?

Why are illegal aliens so attractive to big business?

They aren't citizens. That means that business can pay them under the table. Business does not have to pay taxes. Business can pay them significantly less than they would pay a citizen. The prices that business charges does not go down as a result - the prices stay the same and sometimes goes up. More profit goes into the pockets of business owners. This is the racket taking place with employment of illegal aliens.

I personally know a group of 4 illegal aliens from Guatemala that live in a 2 bedroom apartment. Their apartment is paid for each month by the restaurant owner where they work (one of two restaurants they work at). The owner also bought them all bicycles so that they can travel to work faster. The owner can do all of this and still makes a killing over what they would be spending to hire citizens or legal aliens.

What happens when amnesty is granted?

The status of illegal aliens changes from illegal to legal. Now business has to pay them fair wages. Business has to pay taxes on their employees. The amnesty granted aliens are no longer as attractive for business because the greedy bastards will see a loss in their profits. Being greedy, they will not suffer it for long. They will raise prices and pass it on to the consumers.

Then they will go about employing new illegal aliens who have not been granted amnesty. The millions that received amnesty will be just as screwed as the citizens are now. Millions more will be attracted to our nation to fill the need (by business) to employ cheap labor.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
A definitive win for the people. Just goes to show that voters are not as stupid as congress thinks.

Frankly, after looking at the votes, I was quite surprised to see who went which way. Just goes to show that parties really don't matter. It's more about integrity or corruption.

Originally posted by duckcheney
This whole thing is a lie. What would happen if amnesty was granted?

I agree, as well. It's bad all around. I'll re-post one of my rants that went off topic in another thread. And I apologize to shots and jsobecky (and others that were active in that thread) ahead of time because I know they've heard this all before:

I think we need to look at all aspects of what this amnesty bill will conribute to the exconomic situation of this countryrather than rushing into a bill that hasn't been fully thought out. There are a number of reason this bill needs to be reviewed. Here's just a couple of examples:

Source
Overall, immigration is a net fiscal positive to the government’s budget in the long run: the taxes immi­grants pay exceed the costs of the services they receive. However, the fiscal impact of immigrants varies strongly according to immigrants’ education level. College-educated immigrants are likely to be strong contributors to the government’s finances, with their taxes exceeding the government’s costs. By contrast, immigrants with low education levels are likely to be a fiscal drain on other taxpayers. This is important because half of all adult illegal immigrants in the U.S. have less than a high school education. In addition, recent immigrants have high levels of out-of-wedlock childbearing, which increases welfare costs and poverty.

Source
The four JFK terrorists include two nationals of Guyana, one of Trinidad, and one former Guyanan who was granted U.S. citizenship. The Fort Dix Islamic terrorists who were arrested in May included five foreign nationals from Yugoslavia and Jordan. A sixth, from Turkey, eventually obtained U.S. citizenship. Of the five aliens, three were illegal aliens who snuck across the southern border years ago near Brownsville, Texas.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I heard some where (cant remember) but there was a poll done in mexico that asked mexicans how many would leave mexico to settle in the United States IF THEY COULD... It was estimated that 50 MILLION mexicans would be in favor of settling in the US. WE have got to fix our borders now.. you cant have those type of figures (50mill) and use bandaid solutions (this joke of a bill) and honestly expect to fix anything... 1986 didnt fix it... It hasnt helped that we havent enforced our laws... And I dont buy the illegal alien excuse that they are what keeps our economy going.. We didnt become the richest most powerful country this earth has ever seen by having pueblo and juan picking strawberrys out of the thickets. Just a lie that corporate america uses so they can continue to pay cheap ass wages (which affects american civilians as well) while making higher incomes...

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

------------------------------------

Not trying to pick a side here, just wanted to know if by people you meant the American people or just the people on ATS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join