It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Immigration Bill Suffers Crushing Defeat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Senate Immigration Bill Suffers Crushing Defeat

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush's immigration bill suffered a crushing defeat Thursday in the Senate, when members voted against advancing the controversial legislation.

The tally was 46 to 53, 14 votes shy of the 60 needed to end debate.

The bill would have provided a path to citizenship for some of the 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. and toughens border security. (Watch senators' passionate arguments for and against the bill before the vote )

"Our analysis of it was it would not work," said GOP Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama. "Our analysis was that it would result in 8.7 million more people in the next 20 years here illegally.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is great news, and I believe that it shows that a concerted effort by the people can still make a difference. To illustrate how much public opposition to the bill there was, the Senate phone system crashed this morning from an overload of calls.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Here is the vote tally of how the Senate voted:

Vote Summary By Senator Name By Vote Position By Home State

Grouped By Vote Position YEAs ---46

Akaka (D-HI)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Conrad (D-ND)
Craig (R-ID)
Dodd (D-CT)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Inouye (D-HI)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Schumer (D-NY)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---53
Alexander (R-TN)
Allard (R-CO)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Brown (D-OH)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Byrd (D-WV)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Dole (R-NC)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Grassley (R-IA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Landrieu (D-LA)
McCaskill (D-MO)
McConnell (R-KY)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Nelson (D-NE)
Pryor (D-AR)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-OR)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Tester (D-MT)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)
Webb (D-VA)

Not Voting - 1
Johnson (D-SD)

www.senate.gov...

[edit on 28-6-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
!!!!!!!Thanks Js for the great news!!!!!!!!!

Isakson (R-GA he voted yes for the first bill, he changed his mind!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my faith restored Js, I do!!!!!! I do!!!!!!

Now I have proof that we the people can make a difference!!!!!!!!.

I wrote and wrote until I just got so mad and tired of the condescending mass produced letters of responses.!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!, Thanks!!!!!!!

Now what

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm really glad this did not pass. Now what they need to do is enforce the EXISTING law.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Now what they need to do is enforce the EXISTING law.

I agree, why we need new laws if is nothing more than to give amnesty when we already have laws to take care of immigration that nobody wants to enforce.

Its a shame, a new bill means amnesty

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Good to hear!

I also agree that our current laws need to be enforced quite a bit better.

Quick question: Why is the thread title "Senate Immigration Bill Suffers Crushing Defeat", when the first line of the article reads "President Bush's immigration bill suffered a crushing defeat".....

[edit on 6/28/07 by redmage]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Quick question: Why is the thread title "Senate Immigration Bill Suffers Crushing Defeat", when the first line of the article reads "President Bush's immigration bill suffered a crushing defeat".....
I believe that if he didn't actually write the bill, he certainly had a heavy hand in its text. And then he intentionally tied himself to the bill, so that he could get the credit if it passed. Speculation is that he wanted (maybe still wants) to have his legacy defined by reformation of American immigration.

Now that it has lost, he has lost.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is very good news.

My states two senators can count on my vote going to whomever runs against them, Cantwell and Murray, voted against the wishes of the majority of their constituency here in Washington. I'm pleased to see they got their heads handed to them.

Now let's start enforcing the laws that are on the books now.

It'll be interesting to see how this gets spun by the pro crowd.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Here is the vote tally of how the Senate voted:

Vote Summary By Senator Name By Vote Position By Home State

Grouped By Vote Position YEAs ---46

Akaka (D-HI)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Conrad (D-ND)
Craig (R-ID)
Dodd (D-CT)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Inouye (D-HI)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Schumer (D-NY)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---53
Alexander (R-TN)
Allard (R-CO)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Brown (D-OH)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Byrd (D-WV)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Dole (R-NC)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Grassley (R-IA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Landrieu (D-LA)
McCaskill (D-MO)
McConnell (R-KY)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Nelson (D-NE)
Pryor (D-AR)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-OR)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Tester (D-MT)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)
Webb (D-VA)

Not Voting - 1
Johnson (D-SD)

www.senate.gov...

[edit on 28-6-2007 by jsobecky]

Im not trying to play political sides.... but why do the democrats seem to be for this (whilst going against the american public)? It seems like the vast majority that were the "YEAS" were democrat while the vast majority of the "NAYS" were republican... Just an observation...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We managed to stop a 380-page bill that had not been read by the Senators and had not been discussed or debated, from being shoved down our throats. A very bad bill at that, one that would have given gang-bangers amnesty.

Good work, one and all! Your phone calls, faxes, and office visits paid off!

But much work still needs to be done on our immigration problems.

Now we need to get down to business and secure the borders, which includes building the wall. And we need to put increased pressure on employers who violate the laws. And we need to create and manage an effective ID system to put an end to Identity Theft by the illegals. In other words, we need to enforce the laws that already exist on the books.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Im not trying to play political sides.... but why do the democrats seem to be for this (whilst going against the american public)? It seems like the vast majority that were the "YEAS" were democrat while the vast majority of the "NAYS" were republican... Just an observation...

That is a fair observation, although if you look at the list you will see that influential Senators from both sides jumped party lines. And there were several freshman Democrats who voted NAY, which shows they were not swayed by party affiliation.

Anyway, that would be a great topic for discussion in a seperate thread, semperfoo.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
We managed to stop a 380-page bill that had not been read by the Senators and had not been discussed or debated, from being shoved down our throats. A very bad bill at that, one that would have given gang-bangers amnesty.

The most funny thing the about 800 pages bill that was then cut to 380 is . . . that before congress got their hand on it, interest groups had the entire bill in their sites.

That tells you who is the power in this nation.

Incredible, we the people need to keep pushing.

Im not trying to play political sides.... but why do the democrats seem to be for this (whilst going against the american public)?

Occurs the bill is mostly backed by Democrats, if you remember Republicans were opposed to the Presidents amnesty but it wasn't until now that Democrats are in power that it could have a change, but my representatives are Republicans and they voted in the first time yeah, they change their mind and that is a big plus.

Remember that this bill is very important to the President.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

The parties seem to have gone to polar sides and they try to make the extreme sides happy. In this instance, Conservatives were not happy about this bill at all so Republicans voted against it (many of them), on the other side, liberals wanted the bill because they feel there should be amnesty so many of the Democrats voted for the bill. And then of course, some of the people in congress had to appease big business and voted where they wanted them to vote.

Unfortunately the moderate/independent voters are always left in the cold because the 2 parties only appease their bases now. The Liberals and Conservatives-both suck in my mind.

Hillary voted for the bill, not a good move

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Fantastic news. Yipee we Finally the people won.

Now the question is what will happen the next time they bring it up and trust me they will it was mentioned after they defeated it on the senate floor.

Wheres the Fence, Wheres The Fence

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well the bill went down, now we need to seal the border and kick the illegals out of here... If we don't it won't be long before a civil war starts and it' isn't going to be pretty...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Great news, we need to make sure they don't try to sneak it through. The people don't want this and we have made it clear. This is our government.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Supposedly, many Hispanics were in favor of this bill. The Democrats will blame the Republicans for it's defeat when the next election rolls around in '08. The Democrats are hoping to have the Hispanic vote in their pocket.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Now we know for who NOT to vote in the 2008 elections.

- Clinton
- Dodd
- Obama
- Biden
- McCain
- Hagel

Now the Bush administration is in a corner, like a wild beast... it could be dangerous... just saying. They want their north american union, what will they do to counter that?

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It's amazing that so many senators voted for the bill, knowing that the majority of the population didn't support it. Neither the president or congress seem to care about what the American people want anymore...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join