It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Asserts Executive Privilege

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   

White House Asserts Executive Privilege

www.breitbart.com

The White House, moving toward a constitutional showdown with Congress, asserted executive privilege Thursday and rejected lawmakers' demands for documents that could shed light on the firings of federal prosecutors.

President Bush's attorney told Congress the White House would not turn over subpoenaed documents for former presidential counsel Harriet Miers and former political director Sara Taylor.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 6/28/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Gee... I'm sure that no one saw this coming. Now we're going to have the obligatory court battles or we'll have some compromise that will serve everyone's political ends. Just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
We've been down this path before... didn't work for Nixon, won't for bush minor either. I been say all winter and spring that jr would provoke a constituitional crisis before this year was out.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I'm afraid these people will make it work one way or another. Executive Force.
Its getting closer.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It will only be a matter of time before this thread gets targeted by the right wingers attempting to drown out any serious discussion of the issue of checks and balances and executive privilege.

So.... before they do I will say this the only thing that makes the hard right in this country tolerable is the fact that they always over reach...

Gen. Smedley Butler and the attempted coup against Rosevelt.
Joe McCarthy and his so called laundry list.
Watergate.
Iran-contra
The weapons of mass distraction and the tenure of jr.

The big difference between Democratic scandals and Republican ones is that it seems the Democratic ones always involve sex and money while the Republican ones involve constituitional issues and the abuse of power. Give me a Democratic scandal any day.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I also long for the days of Democratic scandals, they had good plots. Sex, drugs, Clinton playing the Saxophone with shades on, ahhh, those were the days i felt free and happy and secure.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
You're right sex, drugs, and rock and roll can be tolerated a lot more than bribery, WMDs, and anthrax.

"Another score for the terrorists" as old Bushie would say.

"The Commies are coming, the Commies are coming!"

[edit on 28-6-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I wonder what the editors of the Onion think now of their 2000 headline they printed upon the selection of bush minor:

"Our Long National Nightmare of Peace and Prosperity is Over"

Do they rue it, does it haunt their sleep at night?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You know the real pisser personally living in these times? After surviving the 60's the 70's and the 80's my poor little brain cell can't take anymore drugs and alcohol; and just when they would come in useful to block out these days too damnit.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
You know why I hate this situation so much? The plot is predictable.

:shk:

I think what happens next (like always) is up to the American people. Are they going to lay back and accept the song and dance of a co-opted government (probably, like usual), or are they going to take to the streets and stop this farce (which hasn't happened in a LONG time; we're overdue).

Three industries OWN this country, and a whole host of other leeches suckle alongside, and we've become nothing more than living batteries for their nightmarish FrankenEconomy. The government is complicit in this state of affairs, as is the citizenry to a great degree. Pretty hopeless situation as I see it...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Pretty hopeless situation as I see it...

That'd be some pretty dangerous territory that you're treading on my friend. Hopelessness leads to radicalism. And we all know what happens from there. There's an old saying that goes something like this: "The most dangerous man alive is a man that doesn't care about anything." That man would be so careless that he'd not be able to be stopped by normal means.

How close is the average American citizen to this level, do you think?

TheBorg

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Not close, in my opinion. The average American is sustained by hope; consumerism, sports, diets, careerism, the lottery - these are huge (if hollow) fonts from which hope can spring forth.

I, on the other hand...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
My one concern regarding this matter is that it'll set a new precedent for Presidential secrecy. Let's take note of a few things. Any Federal official can classify any document. Even I did this once in my own short career. The foundation of this Presidential assertion rests on civil service procedure. The White House counsel is playing a fast game here by being so fast to claim executive priviledge. THAT is a smoke screen designed to distract the unwary. If you want to beat this power play, you've got to re-interpret the rules or learn how to use the process to your advantage.

In effect, the Vice President is saying, "that stuff is classified--my hands are tied. Sorry. Can't give it to you. They won't let me."

The President himself can sign a Presidential Order (which is not an Executive Order), and send it right on over the records archive. but...he won't.

Congress can challenge the records archive in court, and they might very well win on the basis of the fact that they can convene a closed-door meeting of certain high-security committtees which would be bound to observe the rules of secrecy.

Trouble is...that legal challenge will take a very long time to get through the Federal court system. That suit can be brought by any number of committtee chairs, but...what if...the court finds in favor of the records archive? It could, and we'd all be very unhappy.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Borg That'd be some pretty dangerous territory that you're treading on my friend. Hopelessness leads to radicalism.

I agree, it does lead you this way, and the sad part is that it is not 'most' people who have come close to final hopelessness. Just like Wyredone incinuaded (sp?), it will be 'us' fellow patriots of truth and justice that will burn out the soonest because we care the most! We fight for our civilization in any way we can, even if when society has neglected our efforts, but how long before we 'force ourselves' to avoid the struggle, and give up hope. Then what about the future for us or them?

When in doubt, or hopeless, just watch a young child playing, and picture yourself handing the world over to this hopefilled being, destroying his 'hope'- Sorry, im rambling again!

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Or the democrats could quit trying to play hardball partisan politics, take The President up on his offer, and afterword get down to the actual meaningful business of running the U.S.

That would be a nice change of pace.

[edit on 6/29/07 by makeitso]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
That'd be some pretty dangerous territory that you're treading on my friend. Hopelessness leads to radicalism. And we all know what happens from there. There's an old saying that goes something like this: "The most dangerous man alive is a man that doesn't care about anything." That man would be so careless that he'd not be able to be stopped by normal means.

TheBorg

Hah, how close is the Administration to that level?
I don't think they're going to be stopped by normal means.

Mr. Oldham, certainly this is still a step in
the right direction, right? Is there anything we can
look forward to? Possibly more subpoenas, maybe
a Subpoena Party.. with surprise guest.. JUSTICE.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
You know I really don't think this is another one of those constitutional crisis's that will eventually work themselves out for the good of all.

I am really concerned about the lack of outrage with the public. I mean is it because no one really knows about this? Or is it that they don't really care?

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I think it's because no one's informed. Why aren't they informed? It's because they 1) don't have time to listen, 2) they can't read, and 3) even if they could read or listen, they wouldn't care anyway, because "it doesn't concern me".

This kind of acquiescent thinking is what's gotten us into this grand ole mess that we find ourselves in, and it's going to take several people just like you and me to step up to get the rest of this country behind us.

For Freedom,
TheBorg

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I never thought I would agree with a borg!

haha.

Seriously though the complete and utter apathy that has covered this country is frightening.

It is the the worker bee system that the elite wants. Stick it in front of there face but keep them from getting it (the american dream) so the few can rule the many.

It is that 'me' and 'my' thought process that really is keeping people stupid on issues like this.

As long as they can get Iphones, dvds, games, new cars, new clothes, and a vacation once a year, people are fulfilled.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Its like we have a white house full of Nixons.

Four more years! Change the Constitution! Four more years!

(One can hope!) (btw sarcasm
)

Just remember....there is another Bush (excluding Sr.) out there eligible for the presidency.

[edit on 29/6/07 by Pfeil]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join