It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a scientific explanation for this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I was lying in my bed last night watching TV, and I noticed that the shadows being cast from the light fixtures on my roof seemed to be moving. They kept changing size and angle slightly whenever a different colour was projected from the TV. I've never noticed this before so it really intrigued me. I know that shadows can do this if the light source moves or changes in brightness, however a TV doesn't move and the brightness stays the same, so why would certain colours cause a different shadow to be cast?

So my question....
Is there a scientific explanation as to why shadows change size and angle when a different colour of light is projected onto the object that is casting the shadow?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I'm not a physicist but each colour has its own wavelength and therefore bends slightly differently. Also the way colour is generated on tv's is by pixels - each square will have some pixels in it red,blue, yellow and they are side by side so the source of light is also coming out from a slightly different place.

Not sure if that is correct but sounds reasonable to me.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It wasnt shadows you seen it was the tv lighting going from darker to light depending on what you are watching. Seen it a million times, well maybe not a million.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The apparent motion is caused by the pattern of light on your tv screen.

If you took a flat light source (say, a program that turned your monitor screen white and then cycled through the other colors), you would see that the shadows don't move as the light changes.

But on the tv, the patterns of color and dark are continually changing, so in effect your "point light source" is from a continuously changing direction.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
different colors showing up on different areas of a *curved* screen could do that. now if its a flat screen, beets me.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
It wasnt shadows you seen it was the tv lighting going from darker to light depending on what you are watching. Seen it a million times, well maybe not a million.

Precisely...

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
The apparent motion is caused by the pattern of light on your tv screen.

If you took a flat light source (say, a program that turned your monitor screen white and then cycled through the other colors), you would see that the shadows don't move as the light changes.

But on the tv, the patterns of color and dark are continually changing, so in effect your "point light source" is from a continuously changing direction.

Thanx

I just can't believe i've never noticed this happening before

top topics

join