It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge Demystified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

The way Stonehenge was built is actually fairly simple!

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I don't think that 'how they built it' was the msytical mystery of stonehenge more so than the 'why they built it' or what it was used for.
Modern Academia would have us believe that these were built as a calender for agricultural purposes, but I'm of the opinion that our early ancestor's obsession with astronomy and time keeping was based on survival, anticpating a cyclic disasterous event perhaps. Nonetheless I would hardly say that knowing how it was built would demystify anything, in fact knowing the great efforts it must have taken to construct, it is all the more fascinating to speculate as to why in the world they would go to such trouble when any fool can count days and plant crops accordingly.

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have to agree. Any group with a working knowledge of levers and fulcrums could build a Stonehedge, as long as they had enough people to do the labour. The real mystery is why it was built. There was a large wooden post structure in place there before the stone megaliths were erected. Obviously something more than keeping track of the solstices was involved here. There had to be a well backed and understood reason for the builders to have hauled the stone in from distant quarries, and to have used the stone that they did. The bluestone is one of the hardest natural stones there is. Stone cutters that work in granite won't even touch the stuff.
The archealogical community has pretty much written off Stonehenge as a fringe site for weirdos and wanna bes. But some serious work gets done occasionally when someone is talked into doing a TV special for Discovery Channel. They did some interesting work on sound and prehistoric celestial alignments that pretty much lost me. But the gist of it was that there was some highly involved acoustic planning involved in the construction of Stonehenge, as well as positioning it as a complex observatory.

posted on Aug, 13 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Direwolf
The archealogical community has pretty much written off Stonehenge as a fringe site for weirdos and wanna bes.

Actually they havent as a massive ancient habitation site has just been found next to it, and the archaeologists have a camp over there now.
Its just up the road from me and I see it most days.

top topics

join