It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Law of Attraction: Concepts and theories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This thread is intended as a discussion point for some of the more confusing and conflicting ideas behind the Law of Attraction.

For those of you who don't know, the Law of Attraction is the theory that your thoughts become reality. Everyday our thoughts are manifesting into the physical universe. With this knowledge, one should be able to make anything they want manifest in the Universe as long as they provide positive thinking and energy to their thoughts.

I can assure you, it works quite well. I started using it about 4 months ago or so, and in that time my life has changed dramatically. I applied positive thinking and energy towards getting a good summer job. Now I am working at the best job I have yet had in my life, and I'm making good money too. I did the same thing towards correcting my vision. I had hoped I would one day just wake up with perfect 20/20, but it isn't working out that way. Instead, right on cue and without foreknowledge of my attempts in the law of attraction, my mother offered to pay for Lasik eye surgery and I am hoping to do so within the next couple of months. These are just 2 examples among many more. However, I am still learning how to use this and how it really works.

I was wondering how offhand thoughts, which can't be represented by physical reality should or could manifest? For example if I was to do a math problem step by step I don't understand how that would ever manifest physically, positive or negative. Another example would be theoretical thinking. If one goes through a thinking process of wondering what exists beyond the Universe, how would those particular thoughts ultimately manifest in our reality?

Another thing I'm struggling with is how people's thoughts could get them a disease like cancer or a condition like paralysis? I really wonder if people could be thinking that negatively, but I suppose its possible. My initial idea was that sometimes the law can work collectively. Society as a whole probably would think of itself as diseased and malfunctioning, perhaps that is manifesting in only certain unlucky individuals in the form of cancer and other diseases?

If the law works individually as well as collectively, which makes a lot of sense looking at our current condition, it would seem almost certain that the collective thoughts are much stronger than the individual thoughts.

What do you guys think through your experiences? Maybe its all simpler than I am making it out to be, but it could also be much more complex. I am wondering how my thoughts as I write this will transpire in physical reality...

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's with us from prehistoric times, when we hunted and when we focused on chicken we better see that chicken or we are without a dinner. Law of attraction, or part of it, works when you are focusing on something, either in your mind or outside it and then your brain will try to recognize this same pattern in events, surroundings or people, even in an idea among other ideas, and so on.

So we can use this for hunting, setting some goal, advancing research, topics of interest and general self-improvement.

One useful trick is also to focus on how you feel. For example, if you want a new car, don't focus just on the car, but also think how good it feels to be sitting in that car, how it smells, what colors do you see and even what other people are saying about it.

I was aware of this law since i was a kid. For example i was interested in something like pyramids and then all of sudden i got a new age magazine discussing them, or find some book and so on. It's really mysterious sometimes, like universe is sending stuff you like towards you.

This is also important to keep in mind when you want to wish others bad -- it will just be interpreted as something you want and brought to you.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
About illness, well some is dependent on physical but also a lot on mental, not other way around as is popular belief today. You are source of information for all the cells in you body, so when you perceive something as bad and potential danger, your body will react to it.

First reaction is to shut down higher brain functions, direct more blood to reactive part of the brain and muscles, so you are ready to fight or run away. Immune system shuts down too since it needs blood and energy and it will sacrifice some immunity for direct survival. Exposing yourself to daily dose of bad news will guarantee you some from of degenerative problem in the future. It can be something innocent or even a cancer.

This is because genes do not just go and activate themselves as they see fit, they are activated based on stimuli/information you provide. They are very active when you are growing up but more or less dormant later. Reality is you can give yourself a cancer or get rid of it, but people today are too convinced therapy is needed to even try to believe something like that.

Today this growing apathy, boring jobs, violence and fear, wars for oil, corrupted leaders all bombard us with negative stuff so no wonder 1 out of 4 Americans has cancer or diabetes. EU and Canada too. Canada is even worse.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Yes hasn't this thinking recently been rebranded as 'cosmic ordering?'

It is essentially a very similar principle to prayer. How much could be self hypnosis, autosuggestion and self-programming though? However if used correctly and not for mere gain or for wrong then there are a great many proponents of this technique. NLP's 'well formed outcome' technique is also a variant on the same theme.

'Be careful what you wish for, because you will surely get it' as the saying goes.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
Yes hasn't this thinking recently been rebranded as 'cosmic ordering?'

It is essentially a very similar principle to prayer. How much could be self hypnosis, autosuggestion and self-programming though? However if used correctly and not for mere gain or for wrong then there are a great many proponents of this technique. NLP's 'well formed outcome' technique is also a variant on the same theme.

'Be careful what you wish for, because you will surely get it' as the saying goes.

Yea, i agree. I used auto suggestion and focus on something since forever, even before they started to call it law or ordering. Hypnosis is similar, just you are in delta/theta state, as kids under 6 years usually are -- that's why they learn so damn fast. Kids under 2 just absorb information, without evaluating it. Now think how much damage someone who just sits in front of TV with a six-pack can do for the kids future. Kid learns by absorbing all info, habits and behavior.

NLP is cool too, i especially like swish and changing submodalities methods.It's basically re-associating good stuff with bad, so we get rid of obstacles or even phobias.

Prayer is for me same thing too, but i don't pray. It's just focus on something, rarely for personal gain so it works in similar fashion. OK, you can always add God to it, but more or less it's just a focus on something.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The law of attraction goes by many names, thoughtforms, or whatever you want to call it.

But what about random things like thinking through a math problem? How is something like that coming to fruition in our lives around us?

I was thinking that perhaps the math is occurring all around us. As you do the problem of 2 + 2 = 4 you might not notice that in front of you is 2 objects grouped near 2 other objects totaling 4.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I myself, hardly ever watch the doom and gloom channels for news, I would much rather get my news online, where I can control what my head takes in.

On using the Law of Attraction: I have used this only a few times with varied results, but I'm still working with it...trying meditation with seeing myself in my mind actually using or working with what ever it is that I am trying to manifest, that seems to work the best for me.

My main mantra that I use is that "there are no barriers, no walls, only open pathways for me to walk...obstacles are only in the concious mind, that is all, when you use this method, you are basically melting away barriers or "I can't do that because..." type of thinking. Erasing your barriers and then recognizing that anything in this vast universe is yours for the taking is my first step to the "Law of Attraction".

sb2012 said..."One useful trick is also to focus on how you feel. For example, if you want a new car, don't focus just on the car, but also think how good it feels to be sitting in that car, how it smells, what colors do you see and even what other people are saying about it."
Absolutely do this!!!

I've also found rather than visualize all this when I am ready for sleep, as I usually lose control of thought when entering the Theta state, I will manifest when I meditate, for me, that has produced the best results.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
90% of all peoples thoughts are rubbish. People think rubbish all the time, and the brain knows it. Those thoughts do nothing in reality.

Say if you were raping someones mind all day everyday, how would you know what thoughts he or she means. You wouldn't. We all build our own worlds inside our heads, and no one else can understand.

The problem you lot have is you think all thoughts are the same, which they are not. Thoughts are similar to speech, and like speech everything you speak can have totally diffent meanings to what others think it means. One persons thoughts have no meaning what so ever for any other person, remember each person builds there own world in side there head. We all have our own interpretation of language, and everythings meanings. There is only a loose common meaning to words.

So the answer is simple, thoughts are more complex than you, i or anyone else can understand.

[edit on 6/28/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   
what you think is what you are.

if you think every girl is a potential, you'll act like it.

aim for knowledge.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have recently been introduced to the Law of Attraction through the movie "The Secret" and it has changed my life dramatically.
Regarding the maths question, the Law of Attraction really only works when the positive thoughts / wants (or orders as someone else said) become like second-nature, i.e. they are situated in the subconscious instead of the conscious mind. A maths problem is a purely analytical conscious thought and will therefore not manifest anything in reality. However, if you use the Law of Attraction to have a happy, prosperous and healthy life, this will manifest as one is taught that you need to ask for what it is that you want, visualise it, FEEL it (imagine what it feels like to have whatever it is that you have asked for) and then let it go and trust/believe that the universe will provide. This is much easier said than done as one is constantly bombarded with negativity in this world and one tends to worry incessantly about absolute rubbish so your unconscious mind has nothing but negative energy to work with. (Geez, I hope I'm making myself clear here!)
About the cancer and illness question, I believe that the reason that the incidence of incurable diseases have increased is because we are all bombarded with adverts and TV programmes focussed on ill health and we are therefore thinking "I hope I don't get cancer, that would be terrible" or "I must stop smoking otherwise I'll get cancer". All this is doing is "calling" the cancer to you! The universe does not recognise a "negative" word, i.e. if you say "I DON'T want to get cancer" - the universe is just "seeing" the part "get cancer". Instead of worrying about it, picture yourself as being a healthy person and this will negate all the "bad" energy and STOP watching all those horrible hospital dramas on TV!

Anyway, that's my two cents worth!

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have introduced The Secret on DVD to a number of people. It is the most inspiring documentary that my wife and I have ever seen

However, I have to disagree with the "experts" when they espouse that we have one-hundred percent control over our bodies and our lives. That belief is damaging and simply untrue.

Not every negative event that happens to people is because of their inner visions, their core beliefs, and their radiated vibrations.

When we strive to change our lives for the better, at best, we have approximately two-thirds control over the situation. The other one-third consists of outside influences, our financial resources, the food we eat, and the environment with which we live.

People are coming down with cancer more often now than ever before not because they have been thinking incorrectly. The cause is mainly biological. There are many artificial additives in foods and hazardous environmental problems, as well as congenital weaknesses in some people. All of which leads to succumbing to a form of cancer - which many now feel is actually the result of a virus.

Projecting a positive, loving, grateful attitude is very important - as is Heart Chakra Radiance. But if one gets cancer, one needs to also aggressively embrace a completely organic diet with little salts, sugars, starch, and fats, and take all the vitamin supplements that the body needs to overcome the illness without the short-term and long-term damage of chemotherapy and harmful drugs in general. Seeing a doctor of nutrition is also advised. For those interested, I can offer a good referral.

new topics

top topics

join