It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1984??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Having been a member of ATS for a while, I am quite keen in identifying members views on CCTV- the monitoring in relation to a possible NWO 'masterplan' or a mere 'crime prevention' perspective.

Looking (briefly) into the use of CCTV (particulary focused on the UK) I found statistics from a book written in 1996 "Big Brother : Britain's web of surveillance and the new technological order" stated that there were already 300,000 cameras in the UK. Nowadays, I have heard that there is atleast one camera for every 14 people. When asked about this there is often a mixed response, some see it as an invasion of their privacy, others see it as a useful crime-fighting tool.

To what effect do the cameras invade privacy? In the respect that if a crime had been committed against you, would you have preferred the camera there to assist as evidence or alerting the police to the crime?

Or.. can the footage be doctored by those 'higher up' in order to frame someone for a crime, which will then more than likely be takes as proof in a court?

Do you mind the cameras capturing you movements each day as you 'have nothing to hide' mentality?

Thanks for reading and look forward to your responses.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Sorry to bump this thread up, but it would be good to hear atleast one response or maybe a read from a member!

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
One thing about the 1984 movie i found interesting is that, the cameras in people homes where the tv sets. I wonder how small cameras are today, and would they put them in televisions, or are they already.

Imagine some paedo policeman watching your little sister or brother getting undressed in front of the tv, while some paedo cop is watching them, and masterbating.

Sends shivers down my spine.

With cameras you have to remember they are not going to give away that they will have cameras in tv sets, they will just do. They will not be able to say in court we have a camera in our tv set and watched you do something wrong. This will just be a starter.

But the paedo cop whether man or women just sends shivers down my spine. Its just a question when will they put cameras in televisions, and they will be able at any moment perth into your home, without you knowing.

Oh the future, or is it here now.

[edit on 6/28/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I think the main problem with those cameras is that they can watch every move that you make, from the footsteps of your home, to the grocery store, the bank... you get the idea.

For me personally, I don't want anybody being able to see what I do on a day to day basis. That is for me, not for anyone else to watch.

As far as a crime deterant, it is a sound idea. Yea, I'd love to be able to have that footage to fall back on if something were to happen to me, but I"m just not comfortable with the fact that they can see where I go, and what I do.

It's a double edged sword I guess, with it's pros and cons. We'll see where it goes though.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think that the "if you have nothing to hide then you should not worry" argument is slightly perplexing. According to this theory the national security acts should not exist since if governments and their agencies are not doing anything wrong, then what do they have to hide? However we must remember this argument ultimately comes down to what you consider being "wrong".

Many people do not have a huge problem with the cameras themselves but are more concerned with the impacts of "data-mining" the data recieved, especially in respect to number plate recognition systems and in the future possibly facial recognition systems. I do personally believe that many of these systems already exist, especially in the UK in regard to a number plate recognition system.

I personally have a great belief in Nivens concept that:

Freedom x Security = k.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by superpaul55]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
There's an interesting article that states that if George Orwell were still living in his old house there are over a hundred cameras that could be trained on him at any time. I can't seem to find it in a hurry.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
1984 is one of the best books I've ever read; and its really very prophetic. I think you could have a camera in the TV; it wouldn't be hard. Most people have satellites, so it could just feed right back to whoever wants the information.

I don't live in Britain, and I'm glad, because having a camera watch my every move would put me in a world of pissed off I've never been before. Jeez, watching you go to the grocery store, the mall, at every stop light, that'd annoy the hell out of me. I'm really suprised thought, that it isn't used here more (Texas). I see they are adding more lights to the intersections to give tickets to those who run the red lights and all, but I know that's a lie; it's really to just get us use to the idea of being watched. Once that's done, those cameras will be everywhere. I allready had to shoot out a street light that was annoying me so I wonder what the fine or penalty is for blowing out the camera.

I just recently read 1984 for the first time this summer, I know, I'm slow to get around to it, but business school takes up most of my reading time, but, it's one of the best books I've ever read. I say that because of how much of the events in it I see actually coming real. We allready have our ministry of love, its down in Guantonimo and all the other places that we never hear about. All the politicians use a "Newspeak" form of talking, except for Bush, sometimes I'm not sure what he's saying. Everything in that book I see as coming true and it's one of my worst nightmares. If marshal law was declared tomorrow, you'd see me in one of those FEMA camps or some place like that. That would be my "ministry of love". Assuming I wasn't shot in the back of the head for refusing to go, I'd then be tortured and probably released after I was deemed fit for society, then eventually they'd take me back and finally put an end to what is known as me. I recently read Animal Farm too; lets not forget that that book also is like 1984 just not so prophetic in its view. How many times in the past few years have you been told that the government was doing something for your good?

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
The Book 1984 was a part of my high school required reading. I think it was my junior year. I am suprised that the school system was making it read it, maybe they wanted us to get used to what the future was going to be like. Unfortunatly for me, I didn't read it and used my friends notes. I am pretty sure i still got an A on my paper but I wish i would have read it for myself.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I think what most of us North American's forget is that we are ,in fact, watched by camera's. All day, every day. Go to the gas station, department store, mall, government building, convenience store, banks, drive on a lot of the highways, schools, restaurants, apartment buildings. All theses places are monitored by cctv. Not every one in each category mind you, but a large portion of these public and private places are being watched from the time they open till the time they close and, in some cases, after closing.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The problem with the argument that someone not committing a crime should not have anything to fear from an invasion of privacy is that it leads inevitably to the permission of a police state. You have nothing to fear, so you can allow CCTV cameras to monitor your daily actions. You can also let us sample everyone's DNA in the country, and track your movements through a nation-wide DNA detection system. You'll let us monitor your bank statements, Internet activities, your daily food intake, your phone conversations, and how much sleep you're getting. Why? Because you've "got nothing to fear."

I always like to think of it this way: even if you were doing nothing wrong, would you mind having a police officer in every room, standing in the corner, constantly watching you and making notes about what you're doing?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
here's some of my comparisons.
cctv=telescreens/big brother
pentagon=ministry of peace
federal reserve=ministry of plenty
bin laden=goldstein
european union=eurasia/oceania
wars in the middle east=wars in eurasia/eastasia

top topics

join