It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The debunker's burden of proof

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
As far as people that claim abduction, show me one (that is public),
that hasn't come to this epiphany without hypnotic regression.

If the only people claiming to have seen aliens were abductees, you would have a good point. Problem is, there are many cases of people seeing aliens while they were conscious, awake and of sound mind. The following link contains dozens: Alien Sighting Reports

It would behoove us all to actually read these reports before drawing conclusions. Approaching the topic with limited perspective will get us no-where. The abductee reports are singled out because they are impossible to prove or disprove. Other types of sightings are much more problematic from a skeptical point of view. Consequently, they are often ignored.

Taking the "lucid" sightings into account sheds a whole new light on the abduction cases. The only way to dismiss the "lucid" sightings is to claim that everyone who's had one was either lying or mistaken. To me, that feels more like denial than science.

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Ok, from Cambrian's link I found This

Nice. I'm converted. I'm a believer now.
Not really.

Stories. These people tell tales that fascinate and intrigue.

Jules Verne did the same thing.

I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced.
Again, UFO's = yes. We have proof.
Aliens = no. We have tales.

I see that we are at opposite ends of a spectrum, and I respect
your stance.

I just can't make that leap of faith.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Lex,

I'm not at the opposite end of the spectrum, just a few notches closer to the opposite end than you are. I am not claiming to have proof of anything. I just trust the evidence more than you do. Sure, there are outlandish and false reports, but it seems unfair to me to single those out and ignore the others, as you did above. But at the end of the day, your assessment at this point is as valid as mine.

Very best

<< 1  2  3   >>

join