It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Half the World Soon to Be in Cities: Increased poverty and religious extremism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

UN: Half the World Soon to Be in Cities: Increased poverty and religious extremism

sfgate.com

Most of humanity will be living in cities by next year, raising the threat of increased poverty and religious extremism unless the needs of growing urban populations are met, the U.N. said Wednesday.

Some 3.3 billion people will live in cities by 2008, a report by the U.N. population agency report said. By 2030, the number of city dwellers is expected to climb to 5 billion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
One of the biggest problems is that in the event of a disease outbreak be it intentional or not, the cities are going to get hit hard. Factor in a large amount of poverty, poor access to health care and ....... well you get the idea.

Apparently there is a worry that when the cities expand and needs are not met there is a trend towards religious extreemism such as radical Islam or Pentecostal Christianity. It is unthinkable here, but what is the difference between say a street gang, or infighting between religious factions in an inner city?

sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
It is unthinkable here, but what is the difference between say a street gang, or infighting between religious factions in an inner city?

Not much difference, in general there will be a lot of violence in conflicts that arise due to the difference of the extremist ideas, and I am not talking just about Islamic extremism, gangs are very extremist in their ways, white supremacists, etc, there are many extremists in every culture and ways of life.

The problem is also that a lot of innocent people will be caught in the middle. We are already having such occurrences as what has been happening in Europe, Australia, and other countries. With time it will only get worse.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I figure the cities will be the easiest targets for extermination. Hmm this is sounding bleak. I'm living in Los Angels right now, the threat of quakes are always here, but I've been seeing strange ppl going underground in the sewers without any gear, like they're detonate something down there. Plus there's more emergency preparedness drills goind on with The Metro transit authority. Maybe it's nothing, but I've gotten bad feelings in the past month...

top topics

join