It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will science render men unnecessary?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

By Brian Alexander
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 10:58 a.m. ET June 27, 2007

I normally don’t spend a great deal of time thinking about my sperm.

But recently a team of scientists announced they had made artificial sperm from human bone marrow, and media reports abounded with the dire news that my goodfellas (and by extension, me) had been rendered unnecessary.

If a woman chose to do so, speculated tabloid journalists, she could make sperm from her own bone marrow, fertilize another woman’s egg — and voila!

Full MSNBC Full Article Here

Men....unnecessary?........
....fat chance.

I think this is the kind of observation and opinion that comes from people who spend way too much time staring into their UCLA School of Medicine microscopes and then not thinking about the real world outside their "egoist" conceptions of "conception".

Why has this been done?

Why does the human race need to maximise the possibility of "creation" in a world that can't even look after all the ones it already has properly?

Surely the money used for this should go somewhere a little more useful?

[edit on 27/6/2007 by nerbot]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Don't mean to come across as snippy, but your news source is dredging up some very old stories and presenting them as fresh news.

This particular story has been discussed many times here.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sorry Byrd, this is something I thought was interesting when I found it.

I ALWAYS do searches before posting a new topic and I came up with no results for this......maybe you could point me in the right direction?

Don't worry about being "snippy"....you do a good job, thanks.

p.s. I add tags wherever I can, is it the tags that give the search results? If so, I will tag more threads to prevent this happening to others in future maybe!

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Science could work up an artifical womb and render women unnecessary.

And once a supply of feedstock DNA sources was established, what then?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Neither gender has been rendered unnecessary, nor will any ever be. Consider this-sexual reproduction with two genders is the tried-and-true system that has been used for millions of years. To declare it obsolete and to try something new is supreme hubris and very dangerous.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Those who worked this out still spent their evenings at the local pub trying to get lucky. I don't care how much we learn, no one is interested in doing away with the horizontal hula.

It's just knowledge and quite frankly I believe the more the better. Who knows, it may even come in handy some day.

wupy

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Those who worked this out still spent their evenings at the local pub trying to get lucky. I don't care how much we learn, no one is interested in doing away with the horizontal hula.

It's just knowledge and quite frankly I believe the more the better. Who knows, it may even come in handy some day.

wupy

Indeed, I would not be against using this if there was a major cataclysm that wiped out a lot of men and we had to repopulate.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
women would always prefer the stick in my opinion

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesun
women would always prefer the stick in my opinion

You should be careful with comments like that, dude. A lot of people have been getting banned lately.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about using words like "stick" here.

On subjects that involve sex or reproduction, it's extremely tame imo.

Personally I get cheesed off hearing about some wacko scientist who has developed some extremely costly way to perform a strange and frankly unnatural procedure. Shurely there are better things to spend the money on rather than fuel the inflated god-like egos of these obsessed minds.

top topics

join