It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tony Blair appointed Middle East envoy by US, Russia, the UN and the EU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Maybe it's not quite 'UK politics' anymore but on his last day as PM I thought it might just stretch across.

After days of rumour Tony Blair has been appointed Middle Eastern envoy by the 'quartet' group of the USA, Russia, the UN and the EU.

Tony Blair is to become a Middle East envoy working on behalf of the US, Russia, the UN and the EU.
The announcement comes just hours after he stood down as UK prime minister and shortly before he is expected to quit as a Member of Parliament.

Earlier, Mr Blair said a "solution" to problems in the Middle East was possible but that this would require "huge intensity and work".

Russia was thought to have opposed his appointment but has since agreed to it.

During his final prime minister's questions on Wednesday, Mr Blair was asked about the Israeli-Palestinian dispute.

'Absolute priority'

Mr Blair told MPs: "The absolute priority is to try to give effect to what is now the consensus across the international community - that the only way of bringing stability and peace to the Middle East is a two-state solution."

news.bbc.co.uk...

- I can't help thinking the man is a glutton for punishment, out of one gruelling & thankless task and straight into another.
Like him or loathe him I don't think anyone can doubt the sincerity of the man in trying to make things better out there.

He's shown great personal bravery before (on his trip to Libya, see here ) but I'd say this new position is one tops that by a mile.
Given the likely frequency of his coming trips to Israel & the Palestinian territories I'd say he's really putting his life at risk to make the attempt to help create progress out there.

Some will disagree but I reckon this new post shows very clearly that TB is stepping up & standing by his principles & beliefs, even at great personal risk.
I think that is an all-to-rare quality that demands respect (whoever is showing it)

[edit on 27-6-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

mod edit: changed quote tags to external quote tags

Quote Reference (review link)

[edit on 28-6-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Blimey, they didn't waste much time with that did they?

I would hope that some of the political cynics who like to believe that these guys are only in it for the money may have a little bit of a think about that in the light of this appointment. I'm not suggesting he won't be paid for his efforts but there are far easier way for a widely respected ex PM to earn a crust.

If he pulls this one off then I think someone may have to move future Tony Blair threads to the religion board under the subject of "second coming".

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

If he pulls this one off then I think someone may have to move future Tony Blair threads to the religion board under the subject of "second coming".

- ........if he was really able to see the ME settle to a constructive and peaceful future as has happened in Northern Ireland and the domestic politics went a particular way then a '2nd coming' of a less spiritual kind might not be completely out of the question down the line.

When you take a wider view it's not exactly something unknown in British political history.

(But I'd be amazed if he ever did tho.)

But I completely agree with your opening comments tt.
This is a real answer to those who insist that every politician is just consumed with nothing but self-interest.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
With hindsight I ought to say that in this context I suppose the phrase "second coming" may be considered inopportune.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
I would hope that some of the political cynics who like to believe that these guys are only in it for the money may have a little bit of a think about that in the light of this appointment.

I don't really think any of our politicians are in it for the money. Compare the wage of an MP to that of someone who works for a business... there's a huge difference. Compare the PM's salary to that of a director of a major business and again you'll see there's no comparison (and I would say the job of Prime Minister is a lot harder than that of a businessman).

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Originally posted by Sminkeypinky

Like him or loathe him I don't think anyone can doubt the sincerity of the man in trying to make things better out there.

I think it’s the perfect job for Tony Blair to reflect the interests of Israel. Supporter of their War in Lebanon, pioneer in the War in Iraq, and faithful poodle of Dubya I can see why his supporters recommend it. The only thing I’d say is it’s not very powerful, however clearly that’s what Blair has decided he will take in this quieter time in his life.
If I could sentence Blair I would make him a governor of Basra forever. But he has got away with his crimes, the use of white phosphorus in Falugha, Depletive Uranium, and improvements in Iraqis daily lives which mean’s 2 million out of 23 million have now fled Iraq, who didn’t flee under Saddam. There is no courtroom to put him because like him or loathe him he’s a winner, and courtrooms are for losers.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Naturally there will always be the blinkered one-dimensional 'armchair expert's' view that claims only one way of looking at this is accurate.

Others more closely involved will see it differently - and say so publicly.

Of course the work will be difficult and strewn with conflicting demands (duuuh! it's the ME we're talking about here!) and as part of the politics some will welcome and some criticise TB's appointment
(and when he voices criticism of Isreal they'll no doubt join in knocking him too - they were no fans of his support for a 2 state solution).

Contrary to the simplistic fairy-tale version of the events and the politics TB has often irked the Isreali side in this by supporting a fair deal for the Palestinians.

Sadly some would appear to mistake that reasonable & fair view and seem to think 'reasonable-ness' in this is to be always attacking Israel in every instance and denying her the right to defend her people when attacked.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said the newly-appointed envoy had given him "the assurance that he will work to arrive at a peaceful solution on the basis of two states".

news.bbc.co.uk...

......and of course it's entirely predicatable that the facts that the guy has walked away from one hugely difficult task to stay involved in another (even at great personal risk) goes utterly unremarked.
He could have just raked in the money doing the 'lecture circuit' and hide behind all the 'security' money can buy but no, he chose to stick at probably the most diffficult issue of the lot and court what will probably be a life-time's personal risk.

I wonder how many of those so forthright & convinced that they know all about what is right and fair in this and who are apparantly so distraught about helping the Palestinian people (even at their own great personal risk) ever got up off of their own hind-ends and ever did anything practical to help anybody out in the ME?

I wonder if the Voluntary Service Overseas ever got a call from those apparantly so consumed with the rights & wrongs of this issue?

Anyone wishing to may contact them here.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
We seem to have skated over the money side of things......Sure, Blair is doing this because he thinks he can get concensus but he must be being paid and one would assume and health expense account.

I am sure he will travel in economy on all his trips.

What better transparence that to say how much he is earning being this envoy? After all, some of the funding is coming via my taxes.

Just how much creditability does Blair have in the Middle East?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
We seem to have skated over the money side of things.

- I don't think so Freedom ERP.

Last night (in fact for weeks) the news & comment shows have all been remarking on how big a fortune TB could earn as a public speaker
(one even saying they reckon he could easily have been the world's highest earning public speaker - and they were talking multi-millions per year alone......ditto his ability to make mutli-millions on several book deals too)

Originally posted by Freedom ERPSure, Blair is doing this because he thinks he can get consensus but he must be being paid and one would assume and health expense account.

- I don't think anyone is trying to say he's doing this on minimum wage.

The point is that he has chosen to stay involved, he did not just cash in and then vanish behind a wall of security.
Not only is he sticking around to try and work for better outcome(s) but he's doing so with one of the most difficult issues going.

IMO that's true 'money where your mouth is' behaviour......and the fact that it also comes with a real element of personal risk places this above most other 'post-public life' jobs these ex-PMs/Presidents/Ministers etc etc tend to involve themselves in
(Jimmy Carter would be another obvious one still battling away trying to be a force for positive outcomes and live by the principles he publicly claimed).

Originally posted by Freedom ERPJust how much creditability does Blair have in the Middle East?

- Well you saw the quote from Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas?
I'd imagine his opinions is not without weight or relevance here.

The simple fact that TB is widely known to have close contact with the current US Gov (and several now senior Congress & Senators going back 10yrs+) & to have been involved in the attempt to reach a 2 state solution (which apparently all publicly claim to now desire) cannot, IMO, be dismissed as meaningless.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Sminkey about that quote, president Mahmoud Abbas has about 3% of the vote for himself, yet has formed a government without Hamas. He is a secular, pro-western leader, with the full support of America Israel. That’s why Israel is releasing funds to him news.bbc.co.uk...
.He is also entirely undemocratic in comparison to the broader will of Palestinians.

Personally I have no complaint against him, I support secular, pro-western leaders, and if these things alone make them undemocratic then the undemocratic nature of all is in my view self justifying.

But I will say this: It is hardly surprising Mr Abbas welcomes Tony Blair’s appointment in spite of the quite hostile opinions of most Palestinians or members of the Arab continent.

So personally I agree popular Palestinian opinion that because…
E.g. the death ratios and military responses in Lebanon were completely out of proportion to the Israeli side, that someone who still supports this war is hardly balanced towards Arabs-Israel’s interests.
Especially if this same Blair made Lord Levy (a Jew with two sons in Israel) their personal ambassador to the Middle East (i.e. it demonstrates a clear endorsement of one sides view over of the other given 1: the ethnic-nationalistic nature of where loyalties tend to dwell in the Mid-East, and 2 given the politics of Lord Levy himself.

I may not like their idea of fundamentalist government; but I agree totally with most Palestinians in thinking this appointment of Blair is a decision that favours Israeli interests more than Palestinian.
Yet another reason why i'm glad not to live there!!!

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hey Smink the problem is that many will see this as black and white, Blair the war criminal, the warmonger now dressed in the robes of peace and humility, is it not all a bit hypocritical, and please make your responses in plain English rather than hiding your views in politic speak

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Hey Smink the problem is that many will see this as black and white, Blair the war criminal, the warmonger

- Oh yeah mm, nothing black & white there at all, huh?

Those who want to poke fun can but the truth is plain and obvious for anyone with eyes to see it.

Instead of rushing away for the mega-cash TB has stayed involved to try and help if possible, even at, as it must involve, increased personal risk.

I'd have thought that was plain-speaking enough.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Smink, the trouble is is he a sincere as he makes out, or is it guilt for what he allowed himself to be drawn into. Respect to him if he can work the miracle thats required in the ME.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well I guess at least being open to the question is some sort of progress.

Considering just how calculating, insincere and self-interested so many have insisted the guy is supposed to be then surely his taking this job and not rushing to take the mega-millions he could certainly have earned on the public-speaking circuit must place those original claims in some doubt?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

surely his taking this job and not rushing to take the mega-millions he could certainly have earned on the public-speaking circuit must place those original claims in some doubt?

We’ll see but I think he will have the job and the public speaking circuit millions. In fact being ME might even help the cash flow a little, for a start it means “the war criminal” at you’re banquette isn’t just a thing of the past, he’s a thing of the present as well!!!
Perhaps I should invite him some time? But they’d be a food fight afterwards!

new topics

top topics

join