It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the Benoit Deaths be linked to Steroid Use?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
First let me say I'm not a fan of the "sport" of pro wrestling.
What happened was, in it's way tragic, but many of these athletes have been linked with steroid abuse in the past.
www.abcnews.go.com...

Steroids can cause psychosis and aggressive behaviour, so could the use of steroids be part of the cause?

Steroid abuse can have profound effects on the mind, causing temporary personality changes in some. Users may exhibit uncontrolled aggression and violent behavior called “roid rage,” in addition to severe mood swings, manic episodes, and depression. Moreover, users may suffer paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment from feelings of invincibility. During periods when they do not use, chronic users may experience withdrawal symptoms that intensify the psychological effects

dwb.unl.edu...

Predictably, the "sports" governing body are trying to downplay this, but there is cause for suspicion.
sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

Thoughts?

[edit on 27/6/2007 by budski]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This situation sucks, the guy was a highly respected performer. He earned quite a name for himself in the business. The guy obviously had things going on in his mind.

According to wwe.com his actions were deliberate, and weren't actions from "rage." For instance, he had bound his wife's hands together, and left bibles nearby his kid and wife. I would assume a "rage" would have been more "uncontrolled" and sloppy.

The WWE has the story at www.wwe.com.

Whether he took steroids or not, I don't know.

According to some, steroids can be taken safely, when you use them properly. I personally haven't taken them, so I don't know.

Troy

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
There was a book called "Psychopharmacology, from theory to practice." Oxford University press 1977, by authors; Barchas; Berger; Ciaranello and Elliot.

They wrote at page 472-473 that it can cause hyperadrenalcorticism.

It states there that psychological complications from steroid medication can be as high as 40% of patients (treatment for Asthma etc)

Oral use more often manifests depression like problems.

Applied as a topical ointment it leads to euphoria.

Orally it will cause delerium, impaired cognition, visual and auditory hallucinations.

In one case study where none had previous history of mental instability, one third displayed psychosis with delusions, hallucinations and violent behaviour.

Steroid side effects were remarkably dose dependent. 75 % of side effects occurred in those taking more than 40mg daily.

Below doses of 40mg daily the occurrence of psychological side effects was only 1%

However, once a person has suffered psychiatric side effects even very modest doses can still trigger full blown psychosis.

Previous psychiatric history, drug or alcohol abuse predisposes the person using steroids to psychiatric side effects.

Sudden cessitation of steroids can also trigger severe side effects.

Unfortunately I lived through all of this with my ex partner.

Oh and by the way, there are some visible signs too... Moon face or swellings of the face, neck and abdomen. Outbreaks of Thrush, fungal infections, and severe acne are visible signs.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Just looking at their body sizes shows me that they are using steriods. Theres noway anyone thats clean is able to get muscles that size.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy

According to wwe.com his actions were deliberate, and weren't actions from "rage." For instance, he had bound his wife's hands together, and left bibles nearby his kid and wife. I would assume a "rage" would have been more "uncontrolled" and sloppy.

The WWE has the story at www.wwe.com.

Whether he took steroids or not, I don't know.

According to some, steroids can be taken safely, when you use them properly. I personally haven't taken them, so I don't know.

Troy

According to WWE? one of the most corrupt "sporting" bodies in the world?

There is very strong evidence he took steroids
sports.aol.com...

And I'd love to know the people who say steroids are safe - they are seriously deluded

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It depends on the type of steroids and the dosage. Some have stronger androgenic effects (male traits) and some are more anabolic (muscle building).

Generally users tend to report that some people react by having their regular traits and tendencies emphasized. Thus if there is a tendency to over emote, then that might intensify to the point of being acted out.

It's not the steroids that are harmful, indeed they are good at building up patients for whom muscle wasting is a problem. It's probably the dosages and abuse of same that can be problematic.

But in the end we don't know the problem. It could have been depression, or some other factor.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
When someone self doses and worse dosage fluctuates or stops abruptly then look out. If they drink alcohol and or use recreational drugs as many in wrestling show biz must, then that's like playing Russian roulette

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Wow, this just keeps getting worse, if these allegations are true.

Wrestling superstar CHRIS BENOIT allegedly gave his seven-year-old son steroids to boost his physical appearance.
The star, who police believe asphyxiated his wife Nancy and son Daniel on Friday (22Jun07) and Saturday (23Jun07) respectively, before hanging himself on Sunday (24Jun07), is reported to have administered the growth hormone to the child just before he killed him.
Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard alleges needle marks were found on Daniel's arms - and claims Benoit was unhappy with his son's build and height.
He says, "He was very small, even dwarfed." Anabolic steroids were found at the wrestler's Atlanta, Georgia, home.
www.pr-inside.com...

Also here
www.starpulse.com...

Chilling news indeed, and maybe an indication of a body-obsessed mindset.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
One of the things from the story that trouble me is that he gave them to his son.

Perhaps this was a family issue that made possible for him to snap in the way he did.

Can anybody imagine what would have happen if the media has gotten hold of him giving steroids to his son with the genetic issue he had.

He was actually experimenting with his own son, but did his wife knew about it?

I wonder.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
First thing I thought of when I heard about this was "roid-rage" as we used to call it in high-school. Considering his profession, I wouldn't rule out steroid usage as a causative factor.

btw that's just wrong giving them to his own kid. Why involve a child? God rest that poor kid and mother's souls. Why can't crazy people just KILL THEMSELF anymore?!

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Stale Cracker]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
One of the things from the story that trouble me is that he gave them to his son.

Perhaps this was a family issue that made possible for him to snap in the way he did.

Can anybody imagine what would have happen if the media has gotten hold of him giving steroids to his son with the genetic issue he had.

He was actually experimenting with his own son, but did his wife knew about it?

I wonder.

well marg, whatever the causation, I think it's safe to assume that his mental state was unbalanced.

Perhaps when the toxicology reports are published or released, we'll have a clearer picture of what happened.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Sure, the steroids probably did create a rage state...

But in terms of desperation that could lead to such crimes,
there may be another explantion.

The other type of drug found at the house were painkillers...
he had become addicted years ago.

It is possible he had endured the withdrawal syndrome, which
can move a person to desperate acts. Perhaps he could not
break the addiction- which can be incredibly depressing
and frustrating.

I lost my best friend to addiction. I know what it can do-
maybe general addiction is what drove this guy to do what he did...

HDF
TPM

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HighDefinitionFilms

Sure, the steroids probably did create a rage state...

But in terms of desperation that could lead to such crimes,
there may be another explantion.

The other type of drug found at the house were painkillers...
he had become addicted years ago.

It is possible he had endured the withdrawal syndrome, which
can move a person to desperate acts. Perhaps he could not
break the addiction- which can be incredibly depressing
and frustrating.

I lost my best friend to addiction. I know what it can do-
maybe general addiction is what drove this guy to do what he did...

HDF
TPM

Perhaps, but this is something that we will probably never know.

In the meantime, the WWE are desperately trying to get the PR machine into overdrive to deny that drug taking is rife in their "sport" - an I find this lack of concern for benoit and family, and focus on their org disgusting.

But hey, they got a business to protect, right?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Yes, overuse of steroids can lead to increased irritability and aggression in some people. However, this primarily only occurs with the abuse of Anabolic steroids as opposed to Androgenic steroid use. Anabolic steriods are most often abused because they are used to build muscle tissue, and the use of Androgenic steroids in muscle building is not common place as they are primarily associated with building masculine features not associated with muscle growth. There are a few different kinds of steroids, some are man-made and others often occur naturally in one's own body.

Natural steroids that occur in organic tissue are ususally Testosterone, Estrogen, Progesterone, and Oestrogen. The ingestion of any of these in an "other than natural" cycle can lead to as many side effects as synthetic steroid use. However, having said that, so called "roid rage" has never been proven to exist. Increased levels of Testosterone in the male body have long been associated with increased Hypomania ( Hypomania Definition ) and increased levels of aggression. The majority of studies done on this subject have actually shown the exact opposite...in that the use of anabolic steriods show they have very little psychological effect on the test subjects. This means that "Roid Rage" does not exist, or that the effects of anabolic steroids on the human body are in such low of a quantity that they cannot be observed when tested.

Steroids are found in all sorts of different and common medicines to treat ailments in humans, and their use has been around since at least the 1930's with the production of the first synthetic steroids. They have been used to treat many conditions which would otherwise be next to impossible to treat such as:

1. Increasing the production rate of Bone Marrow.
2. Used for the development of musle and bone tissue to treat Chronic Wasting Syndrome in patients with HIV/AIDS and/or certain types of Cancer.
3. Used to help transgendered individuals more properly associate themselves with their chosen gender identity. In the case of Testosterone, which would permit muscle growth and other effects this would primarily be used in female-to-male transgenders.

These are just some of the benefits that regular non-abuse of steroids have been associated with. Most negetive side-effects of Anabolic Steroids are visible rather than psychological with the stimulation of protein synthesis which leads to increased muscle mass and strength being one particularly visible effect. Many common side-effects from anabolic steroid misuse include Acne, increased blood pressure, testicular atrophy, and liver and kidney damage. The psychological side-effects, as previously mentioned, either do not exist or are too low to quantify.

For further explanation (if anyone is interested) here is how Steroids actually function intracellularly: Steroid Biology and Function . A quick way to explain how steroids actually work in the human body is that when the steroid enters your cell it binds with certain receptors on the cells surface, usually and in the case of Anabolic steroids, it it called an "Androgen Receptor". By doing this is causes the cell to stimulate the formation of protein synthesis and increase the rate at which your body burns fat. Thus, someone taking steroids notices a sharp increase in the amount of muscle mass, and a drastic decline in the amount of body fat. This process is often what leads to steroid abuse in that like any drug the user believes that to maintain their "form", or in the case of other drugs like Meth and Heroine, their "high", they must constantly ingest more of the product to maintain that feeling. It is the same thing with steroid abuse...the belief that the more one takes the bigger, faster, and better they will become.

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Excellent post Jazzerman,
thank you, I have gained a greater understanding.

I do believe that (according to reports) Benoit used anabolic steroids to build muscle mass, there has also been suggestions that he has been addicted to painkillers of some sort.

I'm aware that there are many different kinds of analgesics which act in different ways.

Are you aware of any that could interact with the steroids and exacerbate negative effects?

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Excellent question budski. There have been numerous complications to drug interactions that involve steroids and painkillers amongst others, but having said that I would need to specifically know the names of the medications that were causing the potential interaction. I was unaware that this gentleman, in this case, was on a specific painkiller, and if you ever find out which one he was taking I could do further research. However, there are certain common over the counter painkillers that would not cause any adverse side-effects resulting in a psycholological condition. That is why I would need to know which steriod, and which painkiller he was taking.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Hopefully, we will be able to see the toxicology report at some stage.
This should at least give an indication of the steroids/other meds he was taking.

Some reports have suggested that the painkillers were prescription meds, but as you say, until we know the actual drugs, no conclusions about interaction can be drawn.

Another question if you don't mind, some prescription painkillers also combine NSAIDs - would this group pose a greater risk in combination with the steroids? Or does the same apply as the previous answer.

Is the reaction between these types of drugs physical or dependant on which receptor the drug attaches to in the brain.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Yeah I will wait to see the results of the Toxicology report, and you have provoked my interest in this and I'm going to flag this thread as a result. Your really stretching my brain here, and I like that.

To answer your question I would say that it really depends on the particulars of the medications such as how much was taken (number of doses), the name of the medications taken, and the time taken in between doses. Most of the side-effects I am aware of from NSAID's are more physical than psychological in nature. One particular case that I can think of relating to NSAID/painkiller interactions with Steroids would be in the case of Prednisone. Glucocorticoid horomones (such as Prednisone) do not fare particularly well in combination with NSAID's and their use can lead to potentially fatal bleeding in the intestinal tract and stomach ulcerations. Particularly, it is not advisable to take this particular horomone with doses of Aspirin, Rimadyl, or even Phenylbutazone, but I would consult a Pharmacist for further inquiry (I'm intrigued enough to do this myself). I am not aware of any current NSAID's that have direct psychological side-effects when used in combination with certain steroids, but that is not to say that in combination with a large amount of painkillers added into the mix they could not produce an effect similar to a state of euphoria or the like.

In answer to your second question, yes, it is totally dependant upon which receptor the steroid or NSAID binds to that would produce the psychological side-effects required to create anything more than a slight euphoria as previously mentioned. Concerning steroids in particular, they are totally dependant on which receptors they bind with because in one case a certain steroid can promote growth that another steroid cannot. This is why there are currently many different types of steroids currently on and off the market in certain areas, and why we have such a selection of them to choose from. In the case of Anabolic steroids, as I stated in my previous post, they require an Androgen receptor to produce the desired effects. There are also Mineralocorticoid Receptors, Estrogen Receptors, Progesterone Receptors, etc. and in their combination and binding with certain steroids they will produce the effects they were intended for.

PS- Great Thread!

[edit on 28-6-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Thanks very much for the info.

I'll keep an eye out for any info I can glean regarding which anabolic steroids and other medications he was taking, then post or link anything I find.

I think that anabolic steroid is quite a generic term and without some expertise is open to misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

I thank you for the information you have posted, very helpful and insightful.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
it wouldn't surprise me if Benoit was doing cycles of steroids. one of the police statements stated that the steroids found were prescribed. given his status in the industry it stands to reason that he could find a doctor to administer and monitor the cycles so as to make him appear "clean" when testing was done.

an addiction to painkillers coupled with stress(professional,domestic...) may have been one of the biggest factors in the incident (just an opinion)

all in all a very tragic end to an interesting life.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join