It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who's ready to Quit society?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I would like to just quit society back into something that resembles the fifties... with today's tech... minus the female submissive thing... although that's fun too sometimes...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Society is reality, as sad as it is to escape society you must escape reality first.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Frankly, I'm glad most people don't have the follow-through to actually go and quit society and move into the wilderness. Society has put enough pressure on what remaining undeveloped land it has yet to absorb; the last thing the world needs is a bunch of greenhorn disillusioned city and suburb dwellers going about shooting the wildlife and setting up fields to farm. It's an ecological coup-de-grace.

Have no illusions that you can live in harmony with nature. You are an invasive omnivorous African species that displaces or eats everything. A social top-predator.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
There was a movie I saw a few months ago called Into The Wild. His whole experience really grabbed my attention. It looked to be so freeing, and is something that I would love to do. Not having to worry about money.. going wherever the wind takes you. I would love to live like that.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I work about 12 hours a week. I pay rent and bills and buy food. I spend my free time getting ready and travelling to and from my workplace. The rest I spend reading, eating and sleeping. I have everything I ever thought I wanted, a place of my own, a partner, a good job, money, food, books etc etc yet every day I wake up and want to spend it at home with my family, to enjoy their company. I'm seriously thinking about moving home out of the city.

The constant drone of words assault my mind every day either in the free mass-produced identi-kit newspapers that EVERYBODY reads on the bus and trains, soaking up all the crap and nonsense inside or on the radio and tv.

Hiking in the hills is the only thing that makes me feel pure and free and happy.

Society as it is, hurts.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There's a lot of possible approaches put forth on this thread.
Parts of most of them could be used as elements of a solution.

Simple answers won't work for a complex array of reasons.

Many people here seem to labor under the assumption that solutions must be direct and simple.

In fact it will take a clever approach, a Subtle approach is needed.

A common mistake: Many people here focus on strategies of retreat. There is no future in a directionless retreat.
How about models that co-exist with or even compete with the existing ways?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hi all.
Not sure it matters but I'll throw in my 2 cents here..
I've been plagued by thoughts of retiring from society for years, in retrospect, all my life really. Constantly struggled in social situations and struggled philosophically with the rules and regulations that society has increasingly set upon its members.. Combined with an increasing interest in the causes of current social ills and drawing some conclusions, I arrived at the idea of removing myself from society many a time without having the courage to actually do it. This is mostly due to attachments toward friends and family, and their likely adverse reaction toward such a move on my part.
Beware where you're heading as you might get there - says the old saying and slowly but surely the idea of quitting society is taking shape in my mind to the point where I even mentioned it to my family and friends. To their dismay.. But all in a half joking way, so as to ease them in on the possibility.
I see a lot of people talking about retreating from society but still attached to necessities like general basic comfort.
My idea of quitting society is not so much a reaction toward civilisation as we know it, but rather a return to my true self, to the absolute possibility. A sort of spiritual cleanse and rebirth so as to allow me to nurture a true experience. And I speak from the experience of practicing some 'esoteric' techniques (various forms of self-awareness exercises - or meditations) such as the ones practiced and proposed by Lao Tsu, The Buddha and other avatars before and after. No dogma or religion or material attachments to squabble over.. The possibility is all available and free. God knows the powers that be would place a tax on it if they could. Truth is, we are way too attached and dare I say happily addicted to certain pleasures and comforts that will keep us swirling endlessly in this mortal coil.
We have amazing abilities that most of us arent even aware of. We can live without food and can levitate. We can open ourselves to greater possibilities of experience, if only some kind of spiritual revolution will lead us out of this rut. It will happen and it is non-action rather than action that will initiate it. Cheers.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
A lot of people felt like they want to "quit society" because of what's happening. The thing that's happening, especially in America, is that the general society is more and more ignorant and there are less and less bright people(though there have been many advances hidden from us). That combined with a decline in communities to the point of non existence and spikes in gang activity make it seem like 90% of society is supposed to die by killing each other instead of kicking the governments ass, taking guns and gunning down gangs(since cops usually don't arrest gangs. Only common citizens who question authority when the authority figures are maniacal and evil). An ideal society would be a society that does not bastardize knowledge, nature, or science. A society of intellectualism. A society where gallium would become an acceptable currency and where people can freely do chemistry and other things for the benefit of us all. There would be a bunch of non-toxic chemicals that can solve any problem. Even evil will melt away with the activation of the right receptors.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join