It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who's ready to Quit society?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
We are the Misfits!!!

That pretty well sums it up dgtempe. Why would anyone want to be normal?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
hey dude start a fight club haha, I'm pretty sure in the movie this is the same exact point they were trying to make.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stanley06
Looking for property in Northern Canada suitable for solar/wind power with access to fresh water. Property is inexpensive, neighbors are few..buy some while you still can..80 acres..$25k...Not because I see anything bad on the horizon..just because I want to live in a different way than the seething masses.

www.mls.ca...

Wow.. just plain farmland here in Southwestern Ontario is going for $5,000 an acre. I'll definately consider buying some land up North for my first house in a few years... if nothing else, as an investment. Don't you also get some tax credit just for living up North?

The problem is in Ontario a lot of land up north is "cottage country" with $250,000+ houses on about half an acre I think. I'll have to look into it a bit deeper. Without researching it at all, northern Alberta seems like the best way to go.

[edit on 6/27/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
But think, then you'll just be living on a farm were your working harder just to survive. Its not like all work will go away, just that now you'll be working hard, farming for food instead of working for money.

Maybe reforming our world would be a better way. HAving all the wealth being shared equally could be a better system. Unless of course your not contributing in anyway to society. I guess kinda of Utopian Communism type society. Because really the plumber is just as important as the doctor as the policeman so why shouldnt all the wealth be spread evenly. But I think the way to achieve your goals, is too push foward with a newer less ignorant, more tolerant, and less gready generation rather than revert to old ways. Because allthough society would seem great, it would be at a standstill, with no advancement.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
We are too far into the buy and trade aspect of this world, and it's too late to turn back. Honestly I don't like the fact of being a corporate robot myself, but it's what I have to do to survive.

How would the world work without some sort of currency/barter system? Who would then own the land these materials are collected from? We're talking trillions of people worldwide. Do we meet in one place and come up with who gets what and start from there?

IMHO We should look at where the unnecessary money is spent and find better ways to spend it. I don't think money is the problem, it's the people who control it who have the problem. Greed.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Funny this topic should come up about now, The Rainbow Family is having their annual gathering just a county or two away from me next week and I plan on attending.

They have already quit society, as we know it, and live a fairly simple life.

I'm thinking about joining one of the clans and just leaving it all behind me. I'll be joining them on the morning of July 4th for a prayer that lasts from dawn till noon. They pray for world peace, healing of the Earth, and also chant and Ohm a bit. It should be fun.

Depending on how things go I'll either spend the rest of the week with them or come home that evening. I'm just winging it for now.

Anyone else going to be there?

wupy

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
You don't have to give up technology when you exit society. Electricity can be generated by wind turbines, photo voltaic cells, micro hydro generators, and if you have enough land you can grow crops that can be processed into ethanol and you can run a generator. You don't have to give up the internet either if you have a satellite dish. If you're clever, you could produce goods to be sold back to society to pay for the goods and services that you can't produce yourself. It even may be possible to receive grants or tax exemptions if you set up the community as a research project for utilizing renewable technology.

Natural Building
Water from Air
Build your own Wind Turbine
Build your own Ethanol Still

Get the right people together with scientific, mechanical, planning expertise and you can set a good example for society.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Funny this topic should come up about now, The Rainbow Family is having their annual gathering just a county or two away from me next week and I plan on attending.

They have already quit society, as we know it, and live a fairly simple life.

I'm thinking about joining one of the clans and just leaving it all behind me. I'll be joining them on the morning of July 4th for a prayer that lasts from dawn till noon. They pray for world peace, healing of the Earth, and also chant and Ohm a bit. It should be fun.

Depending on how things go I'll either spend the rest of the week with them or come home that evening. I'm just winging it for now.

Anyone else going to be there?

wupy

Thats amazing to me how the forestry dep. is trying to stop the Rainbow gathering.
Why cant the gov. just chill out sometimes, I swear they are a bunch d--- ----'s sometimes....maybe not all of them

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
cool idea,but i like AC and room service too much. I want to LIVE not survive. Good luck though.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
cool idea,but i like AC and room service too much. I want to LIVE not survive. Good luck though.

That my friend isn't living. That is living in relative comfort.

To "live" as you call it has nothing to do with ac, washer/dryer, automobile, and money.

Life is not about material things. Life is for the living not the dead ("things").

You don't have to agree with us. You just have to try to understand.

And of course you are always entitled to your opinion.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
You are born into a family with two parents who love each other and are ready to bring up a child together. Your parents either share responsibility for your early upbringing, or decide between them who should take domestic responsibility for you. You are taught to read, write and do basic arithmetic early, and are encouraged to make art or music as early as possible. Children are appreciated and adored for their unique insight and perception and play a fundamental role in society. They are taught initially by the parent, but can be tutored or educated in other disciplines by third parties that they express an interest in. Everybody would be a ‘teacher’ of sorts, willing to impart their knowledge and skills in exchange for other skills or materials. Children are encouraged to learn a range of skills and are not ‘pigeonholed’ by anybody else at any point in their lives.
You live in a rural community, where houses are simple, small and self-built. Builders and architects are an integral part of the community, as are sweepers, cleaners and engineers. You have artists, counsellors, domestic housekeepers, writers, printers, computer-builders, mechanics, farmers, cooks… You don’t go to ‘work’; you do what needs doing, when it needs to be done, either to occupy your own time positively, to help others, or in exchange for a commodity you are in need of yourself. People take immense pride in their work and everybody is equally respected for the role that they play in helping the community. Each area is governed individually by councils made up of members from each section of society. Decisions are voted upon and everybody has a say in new developments or initiatives. These councils in turn form a national government that makes major decisions based on the collective interest of all councils. There is no ‘figurehead’ or ‘ruler’, and residents of the individual communities vote for national council members to form the government. Ordinary citizens are given fair hearing to appeal or contest decisions in groups, and calculated decisions are made only for the betterment of people, not corporations or industries.
Food and drink are cultivated by families for their own consumption and the community regularly use surrounding land to grow crops, staple foods and rear cattle. Food is organic, pure and distributed evenly so that nobody goes hungry. Eating is a communal event and feasts and banquets are regularly held, with everybody contributing to the effort. Food is exchanged and bartered in markets along with art, tools, clothes, books & other commodities. People claim ownership of possessions but there is a general “What’s mine is yours” attitude. Time is spent exploring, talking, meditating and philosophising. Sports and community events are held regularly for the enjoyment of both participants and while there are no synthetic drugs or recreational substances available, people freely use the natural bounty of the land for psychoactive and evolutionary experiences.
The Elderly are revered for their wisdom and experience and still offer a valuable service in society. Sickness is uncommon because of the purity of lifestyle, but those who do fall ill are looked after and nurtured back to health. Death is regarded as a positive experience and is celebrated like a birthday in the deceased’s honour.
There is no religion, and everybody is encouraged to follow their own path toward divinity. There is acceptance of the beliefs of others and, while it encourages debate, it does not incite animosity. There are no churches, no prayer, and no doctrine, just a universal effort to understand the nature of life in better depth. There would be no need for avatars or ‘Gods’, just a unified cooperation of thought, experience and appreciation....

Continued...

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
People are proud of their community and their world since they have an active part in shaping it. Those who are unprepared to work or develop naturally struggle to gain the appreciation or true benefits of the society around them, but are allowed to live in whichever way they chose at their own detriment. But the new paradigm means that most children are born happy to contribute towards the greater good, and people take much enjoyment in their achievements and prerogatives.
Travel is conducted either by foot, on bicycle or in automobiles that don’t burn fossil fuels (yes it is technically possible to run a car on water) and is used sparingly except in cases where one chooses to live a nomadic existence. Electricity is recognised as a commodity rather than a necessity, and is only used in houses, schools and other important buildings, when needed. There is a simplified version of the Internet available where everybody is allocated bandwidth to contribute to the collective knowledge and exchange of ideas or commodities. News and events are communicated through this medium, as are television programs, radio broadcasts and other digital media. Anybody can make a broadcast about whatever they like and independent material is created regularly.
Everybody takes great pleasure in singing, dancing and taking part in recreational community entertainment. Art and literature are shared and enjoyed by all, and nothing is mass-produced in factories or warehouses. People make what is needed as it’s needed and don’t lust after much beyond the basic essentials. Possessions are largely regarded as unimportant and distracting.
Relationships are different across the board. Friendships are deeper, more meaningful and mutually beneficial. People are appreciated for their individuality and are not respected for looks or status alone. There is very much a ‘we can all learn from each other’ mentality where everybody communicates effectively with each other; with empathy, understanding and patience. Inter-personal relationships are more involved, and love becomes a more emphasised force, with couples forming more socially involved, mutually helpful and less monotonous relationships. Sexuality is expressed but not obsessed over, and sex is a secondary requirement within any relationship. Homosexuality is happily accepted but conducted with the same dignity. Skin colour is as unimportant as the length of your little finger.
The ultimate goal would be to create a society ready to evolve to the next level spiritually following death. The physical existence would be brief, enjoyable and educational for our unified soul essence, and would create little karmic imbalance. Earth would eventually be deemed ready for contact from advanced races from elsewhere in the galaxy, and we would eventually explore the galaxy as a race and become part of a galactic community beyond our own. We’d find out where we came from, what we are, and the nature of our existence. We would realise our true potential as beings and eventually relinquish our physical existence as our vibrations became lighter, purer and unified towards the One source energy. Eventually humanity would be ready to take its place in unity with the divine essence of all.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Wow! That was great very inspirational, I think you have the right idea any one want elaborate on that. Its all we really want right? Is to evolve, explore and educate. Grow as a group.

Now how do we go about implementing it, that’s what life should be about. Something to look forward to, expectance and understanding.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spoodily
People need to get back to farming and living off the land. A society that does not know how or have the ability to provide for itself is lost and under complete controll of corporations.

I agree. I am gardening up a storm and have been doing my best to avoid living by societies standards every since I left the nest (oppressiv controlled house i grew up in)

I have never had a "real" job just to impress others etc. I find other ways to live and survive.

I feel like I THRIVE rather than survive by avoiding the constraints of society at all costs.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
After 9/11 I made some changes to my personal world, my location and also to my lifestyle. I'm not holed up survivalist style but I've certainly removed a lot of uncomfortable variables, simplified things, cut out some of the nonsense etc and glad I did it. I have a more fruitful and positive existence now than before.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I cook on a hobo stove

While in the metropolis, when I write to you... I stand in a building that was abandoned for 10 years before I arrived.

I've been here less than a year; I can say the same about for any building I have written from since joining ats.

Outside the metropolis, I grow food and have acquired acreage on which to raise fish and a few chickens.

I plant trees where ever I walk.

For economy and purification, most of my diet is barley and mung beans

I do not remember the last time I drove; its been a few months at least.

I know what spelunking is and so should you.

I have no job but occasionally contract handy man work when I have to pay property tax on a parcel I own. I own strategic, yet valueless property, in multiple States.

I live without a back door or locks

My windows are wooden flaps.

I drink artesian water on my knees in the forest; I bottle it and carry it with me.

I bathe in the creek or under a garden hose when here in the metropolis

I prefer to sleep under the stars and # in the woods.

Money is meaningless.

I am becoming. I watch the revolution unfold.

gotta go, time to hunt squirrel... dog needs fed..

Abandon the grid - Civilization is Slavery

I am,

Sri Oracle

PS... As far as Ideal Society goes:

Tribal; never more than 150 per pack, no electricity, no engines, underground shelter, free giving, love, subsistance... till then; just me and my wife, on our own, in the mountains... far from the metropolis; living off the manna from heaven

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is a very interesting thread.

There is little dispute from the research conducted as to the correlation between material worth and happiness. It would seem despite having more material goods, it does not make people happier. Even yesterday in Australia the statistics from our nation-wide census led one newspaper to have the headline "AUSTRALIANS ARE WEALTHIER BUT LONELIER".

The emphasis, i believe, and as has been pointed out by others, should be on relationships with one another. When relationships are based on acceptance of differences, respect, compassion, empathy and love my life becomes a lot more meaningful.

I get the impression many people on here feel powerless over the rampant consumerism and lack of meaning they experience in life. My own response to feeling that way myself is to realise i cannot control what others do and in that sense, i put up a boundary around it. Rather than emphasise what others are or are not doing, i try to live in a way and with an outlook which fits right for me.....the beauty of that is that the people around me who i am closest to have sat up and taken notice, and all of a sudden are assessing their own lives as well and making changes.

Dont complain about the need for change - BE the change.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
simply by learning to rely on less 'must have' factors whether they be status type items, travel issues, locational etc you can effect big changes. Part of my changes has mean't I've gone from pretty very well paid to not well paid but when I was the former most of that pay got burned up in maintaining my status quo. You don't need to drop out but you can check out of all kinds of aspects of the consumerist, wage slave lifestyle. I find I am much more spiritual within and without now, Much more willing to help others wherever I can and of course a whole slew of worries have vanished from my world as well. I'm not waiting for anything to happen I am still living my life in what feels to be a much better way than I was before.

Where to run if things hit the fan is too late as all kinds of measures will come into effect. If survivalism will be classified as insurgency then it's a fine line to walk. But there's nothing wrong in staying a few steps ahead.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by the titor experience
the people around me who i am closest to have sat up and taken notice, and all of a sudden are assessing their own lives as well and making changes.

Dont complain about the need for change - BE the change.

God bless, plant seeds, sing songs

-Sri

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Exactly it is only by being exemplars that we can truly have a profound effect on others anything else is really manipulation.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join