It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

who's ready to Quit society?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
My friend and I feel the same way.

I've questioned all my jobs too... I'd be there standing around breaking my back with a bunch of idiot customers looking down on me for minimum wage, thinking about quitting every night at my first job. But I knew my parents would just make me get another job if I quit that one.

I just recently got a "full-time" job of 40 hours a week, and now I see how even more pointless it all is. When you work 8 hours a day, you don't have time for anything. I've gained 10 pounds in the past month of working. You give away your entire day every day just for the money to come home to eat a meal, rest for literally about 4 or 5 hours, sleep, and then do it all over again. Your entire week you look forward to weekends. Just this morning I thought "ugh it's only Wednesday" when I woke up. Then when the weekends come you are so mentally exhausted or trained to be lazy from your job that you just sit around and do nothing anyway.

It's even worse when you are doing one thing over and over and you never get to see the "big picture", you are just doing one menial little task.

Since I got a job I've wanted to just drop everything and use all my savings to buy the supplies I would need to just walk away into the wilderness. The idea is very romanticized, but I've been spoiled in the city for so long that I think I would be completely intolerant of even mosquitos and flies. I don't know if I could sleep on the ground until I managed to make myself some kind of structure. Then someone would come along and say you owe taxes on it anyway.

Then there's my friend. I hate to say it, but he doesn't have very great social skills. He's super-intelligent and would make a great worker, but because he lacks the people skills, nobody has wanted to hire him yet. He's mused the idea to me a few times of just being homeless, rather than having to settle for the shame of being on welfare.

Yes, you're going to have to work your *** off if you want to live by yourself, hunting, farming, gathering, building, chopping enough wood for winter, etc. But at least all of your effort is being productive, not just screwing a bolt onto the same car frame or stamping a piece of paper for 8 hours a day while your body and mind fall apart from lack of use.

The weird thing is that it isn't just the lower class that wants to leave. It's people with at least college diplomas.

The only bad thing when you leave is that you'll give up any form of healthcare, since you won't be able to get any medical help without a little plastic card and some money.

[edit on 6/27/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Well i suspect reality is a bit different in regard to economy -- society really doesn't need 8 hours per person per day to survive and develop. It's greed from some people who want you to spend entire day for them. I believe people could work a lot less or even exchange jobs to avoid boredom now and then and honest society would be prosperous even if people worked 2/3 less.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Society is a collective delusion created by a form of insanity. Why on Earth would we want to live the way we do? Crammed together in tiny spaces, fighting for a spot on the subway, when there are miles and miles of open land. Society is more willing to deem something "unacceptable" and "deviant" than it is willing to embrace something new, even if it would benefit all.

Society would rather believe a lie than realize the truth about anything. We spend all day working a job we probably hate, working for and with people we can't stand, all to make some green paper. The green paper only serves to make you more "accepted" by society as a whole. With enough green paper you can do anything you'd like and people will start praising and imitating you.

We struggle our whole lives to advance through "society", to move up to the higher levels, to eventually be in charge. But why? Because we hate society, we hate everyone and everything around us and by making enough money we can create our own realities and not be bothered by society.

The true Matrix is society itself. It's nothing more than a delusion. We like to think that society is a rigid structure, something we've adapted to, but society is as fluid as a stream. It would only take a slight bit of enlightenment for people to realize that if we all worked together, accepted each other for who they are and let people live their lives the way they see fit the world would eb a nicer place to live in.

I hate "society", I can't even understand it anymore. I think the world is a mixture of stupid and insane and it's getting harder to tell the difference these days. We have more access to more information than ever before in history and people are less interested in it than ever before. Life is about Ipods and cell phones, who's hot and what's the top song. There is a war going on and all anyone can care about it what Anne Coulter said or how Paris Hilton is doing. We talk about celebrities on a first name basis, we talk about tv characters as if we know them.

Arrrrgh, I can't go on, my head is going to explode.

I would very much like to move to the country, buy a few acres and an old farm house, work out of my home office and spend my free time sketching and painting the landscape, exploring, and spending time with those I love. I really couldn't care less for material goods. I don't care about my status in society or what others think of me. There is much much more to life than what you see in the mall. I've done the society thing, I've been rejected from society a few times, I had to sneak back in but I'm always reminded of how I'm not welcome. I don't want to be welcome, i want out.

I hope to be able to buy that farm house one day, hopefully sooner rather than later. I have a problem operating effectively in society though and it often hinders my ability to create the life I want. I know how things should be, I know how I want to live my life, it just sometimes seems as though it will never happen. I want to live in the country yet I can't even see the sky out my window.

Anyway, as to your last question, my ideal society would be one like tht depicted on Star Trek. Everyone is happy, everyone works together and accepts each other because they realize that there is something much bigger and much more important than themselves. They've realized that petty differences can be left behind to achieve a goal that benefits all. There is no poverty or war, no hatred or oppression, just science, exploration and peace.

I guess this post was longer than I expected lol

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Nice thread and all good.

Shows that people are tired of being merely unfulfilled consumers.

Most would benefit, to be sure, from dropping out of the rat race to pursue personal fulfillment and the satisfaction to be gained from providing for themselves from the ground up.

And the experience could only enrich and be of benefit now and later.

Read in the paper a few years ago about a math professor in a major city who'd moved to an island off the coast. His house was constructed from stuff that was washed up on the beach. He traded for a lot of what he needed but said he had to go across to the mainland for some things.

He was tanned, bearded and seemed very content. He'd had the big house etc. but walked away from it.

He said his days, now, seemed endless. Rose and retired with the sun. His shack overlooked the ocean. Spent the days fishing, reading, walking.

One of the things he said has always stuck in my mind. He said if you die with even ten cents in your pocket, then it's a waste of ten cents.

Moral: don't waste life accumulating. You don't need much to survive -- surplus uses up life and weighs you down.

Most of us, though, try to accumulate as much as we can in order to give our kids a head-start. Not suggesting that's good or bad, but concern about our children's future is often where we fall into the 9 to 5, mind-numbing occupations, mortgage, consumerism, 'keeping up with the Jones' mind-sets.

We find ourselves doing eeenie-meenie-miny-mo. Should we pull the kids out of school and take them to a piece of land and teach them the clear and hoe and sow -- in the hope they'll grow up to be independently minded individualists with nothing to their name except wisdom and the ability (hopefully) to look after themselves?

Or do we pay the mortgage, work at anything we can get in order to provide them a great education, in the hope they'll *still* be independently minded individualists but who will also be in a position to see the whole world instead of just an acre in the boondocks ?

Problem is, where kids are concerned, you don't have the luxury of pondering these decisions at length. Kids grow up fast. If we make the wrong decision, it's the kids who have to pay for it. The decisions we make affect our children throughout their entire lives.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I would quit society but i would miss computers, technology, shopping in big shopping centers, instant soups and all the wonders of progress. I think transforming society is the answer, not farming. And leave the children alone, i am sure they like video games a lot more than boring farming.

[edit on 27-6-2007 by sb2012]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The hippies era tried to 'live off the grid' but in the end people grew tired of each other and it was short lived. There is however loners or 'mountain men' who gave up on society and live alone in the forest and live off the land but as far as large groups of 'modern' people going back? Never worked the way they envisioned it.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
As far as a perfect society? Thats already being planned for us while the sleeping masses care about Paris Hilton's interview

Check out this report

www.wtec.org...

Has some interesting tech that can make or break society. Its quite an extensive read but shows where 'those who know whats best' for us are headed without your consent.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
this idea is greta, i might just move some where, and move again and again and again, i love this, thanks for the idea

Take Care Vix

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
In my neck of the woods, "alternative communities" as they're called are not all that uncommon. I've always had an affinity for the mountains, away from the riff-raff and ever since my "awakening" the pull has only become stronger. After my time in college, I just didn't see the point any more in perpetuating a model that has lost much of its viability. A Constitutional Republic was meant as representation FOR the people BY the people. Sadly, nobody cares about human beings anymore. Most people are consumed and blinded by capitalist ideals; money money money. Capitalism is after all, just another -ism. Money (currency) itself is not a bad thing but usury is. When the individual--family, friends, and neighbors are restored to their rightful place on our list of priorities, then these alternative communities would no longer be alternative.

The way things are now is unnatural. It's no accident, however, and the causes and motives are there for all to see. Even a precursory glance at the evidence paints a dark picture for our future. The Bilderbergers et al believe they can get away with it. How mistaken they are. Humans can put up with a lot because we are non-confrontational by nature. Most of us want nothing more than be able to do what makes us happy, have a home for our family, and a future for our children.

At some point however, we will say "ya basta!" For me, that means going with my significant other, along with friends and family to a new community. If you don't support their usury (read: slavery), they will fall. They NEED us, we don't need them. A simple thing that everybody could do is just not go to work for a day or two, it would bring the country to a stand-still. Of course, with Bush's (Cheney's) new presidential directive, he may just see it as the perfect opportunity. We're at a cross-roads here, people.

What concerns me is that most people are in a fog. They're too busy making ends-meet with minimum wage, worrying about where their next meal will come from or how they're going to pay the bills that they don't have time to consider how they got there in the first place. We have so much potential but it's stifled by minimum wage at dead-end jobs. I don't like the direction that certain societies are going in, we've seen this before in another time. If they aren't stopped soon before things get out of hand, we will be in for one bumpy ride.

As for my idea of a perfect society; a small rural town. The kind where neighbors still depend on neighbors and recognize that.

Learn a skill that would be useful to yourself and others, become familiar with farming, and stock up on seeds and supplies.

I wouldn't say I'm ready to quit society, but I'm definitely ready for something new.

"Entonces el rebelde, en vez de angustiarse busca otros caminos para construir otro mundo que es posible"

:End rant:

[edit on 27-6-2007 by EZapata]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
The hippies era tried to 'live off the grid' but in the end people grew tired of each other and it was short lived. There is however loners or 'mountain men' who gave up on society and live alone in the forest and live off the land but as far as large groups of 'modern' people going back? Never worked the way they envisioned it.

They failed because they lost the way and poisoned them selves.

Have you ever went camping as a kid? I’ve only been on one and it was for 3 days but its open my eyes of how things could work. Every one had something to learn something to contribute, every one ate and help with the clean up.

In this society its every one for them selves. You can’t even talk to your neighbor with out them thinking you want something and that its would be such a sacrifice to part with what you’ve work so hard for.
Every ones a afraid of one another, always a the defensive. What is one of the first think people do when they get in a car accident, start the blame game and some ones got to pay.

The comforts we have now are great yeah I’ll admit but at what cost? We have computer which is how I’m able to communicate with you and we have T.V. for our entertainment both of which are made of plastic, glass and metals. We have homes, no every one has homes some even have more then one that they don’t even live in. Every one want there own piece of the pie. I’m tired of it, I sometimes find my self falling back into that trap but always manage to catch my balance and maintain my focus.

Every day I See things and tell my self how they could be better, solutions to every day problems. Great solution but who would listen with open ears that aren’t byes because of restrictions or laws.
I’d like every one to throw away their cars and start riding bicycles or walking and make an alternative means of transportation.

I was listening to coast to coast the other day where this guy Matt Savinar
was talking to art about peak oil and how things have to change. He suggested mass transit and utilizing bicycles as on alternative. It made me mad that art would say in A MATTER OF FACT kind of way that people won’t ride bikes. Why because so many people weight 2 to 3 times their normal body weight, its to hot its to cold what? I used to live in orange county CA when I was about 18 right after high school, and My only means of transportation was my bike and the bus system. But they have these Bike paths along the rivers channels that run for miles which I Thought was brilliant. Most people seen them as more recreational and I rarely seen any one riding along them. I worked a few mile from where I was staying and rode my bike everyday to and from, even to the market to buy groceries. It wasn’t even considered a expense to maintain my bike because it cost little to nothing to keep it going.

So what I’m trying to say is that people could be smarter in what they do. a lot of what we have now and can’t seem to live with out is great but there’s got to be a better way of getting the same satisfaction with out cost. A person is smart but group of dysfunctional people are just that dysfunctional but a group full of like minded people is progress and understanding.
You know the army was great in the idea that every one works for the common goal but based on lies and aspirations of something that doesn’t exist.
Fight for freedom democracy, the ability to be able to work 8 hours a day for a cause not of your own. Freedom my butt!!! Its just the illusion.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Why live in an illusion, What the true goal in life? To consume? To destroy and maim one another?
We by all means are gods with ability to create just as we are able to destroy. Human have a lot of potential but are to scared to fulfill it. In fulfillment I don’t mean being wealthy and influential to others because even having all the money in the world isn’t enough. There are many who know that its not the money but the power over one another. As sinister as their goals are to them its meaningful. So why can’t we think the same less controlling one another.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
ill join you, I basicly dropped out now, Id be way better off spiritually im sure, all that america today offers me is fast food, bad religion, and a case of severe heartburn daily. Ive survived low impact in the mountains of crappy rations, know somewhat about survival and have a lot of books on it ive never read. But still, sounds fun, though id want to avoid major cities, as we would be defeating the point.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I am happy to see that there are many others as fed up with the "system" as me. It's to the point where I dread even waking up, and having to face the repetitiveness of another day. It's sad that when I try to tell others that we are just pawns, and that money is a tool used to control us, and that it does not matter what Paris Hilton did today, and they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm ready to leave before my brain explodes with all the useless garbage I'm forced to endure day after day. The only question is, Mountains or Tropics??

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I feel the same my friend do not worry, anyone who thinks like this is not alone.

Society is a game of selfishness and who is better than who,who owns what etc.

Its a disgrace the way society is, people drooling over their tabloid paper everyday before or after their 9-5 day jobs.

I personally would have liked the choice of working in a self sufficient villiage when i left school other than the go to college and university root.

What would it take for a group of 10 people to say "Right i have had enough of this fecking society lets get together and head for the mountains/green and setup our own society where the people are the government of themselves"

If i had the money i would rather learn to live self sufficiently with some other good people than live in our society.

Good thread by the way its nice to know that other people feel this way.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Excellent thread ! I've have been thinking about this for a long time. i too am in an office job 9-5 dealing with angry customers shouting at me down the phone all day. It does become a bit too much and i ask myself WHY? i look out of the window and think there has to be more to life than this, sitting in an office all day. The only thing that makes me go to work is i need the money to pay my bills etc. So i know i am trapped by society as it were. if i gave up my job i would have to sell my house and the clothes on my back. if i won the lottery i would leap at the chance to drop out of society as i want to explore life whilst i still can. I want to send more time in the outdoors as well, bonding with nature as it were. but i can't because i am imprisoned by society. I would suspect many people feel the same way. It's not that i am afraid of dropping out of society it is a question of the fact that i simply cannot afford to do it. the sad thing is multinationals know only two well that they've trapped us and will not have to worry about huge social upheaveals in the near future unless of course there is a worldwide event that rocks the world on it's axis !

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Biggie smalls, Im interested.
I would like to quit society. My forefathers were farmers in India and I grow my own vegetables and etc. also so I know how to survive. I wish a change would come about and disrupt those in control

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I dont know this titor # seems more and more real even though i doubt he was, what if society is going to get more localized and rely of family and farming
. But I had to reply again because i better read this thread. I went to India, where you will go from 1600 A.D. to 2007 A.D. in a course of 8 hours.
I LOVED it there. Lack of technology? Yes. I didnt miss it one bit, not the ipod, the cell, the internet. NOTHING. I felt at home, I dont know why. Of course, the lack of toilet sanitation and no water heating got to me a bit
. I didnt fight ONCE with my family, and in the states, its like we fight everyday. In India in our village, everyone farms, lives off the crop, sells cotton for money and the households rely on themselves. No taxes (even though we are supposed to have them, no one bothers to bug the farm villages), and no police are laid back. India has army everywhere, but unlike U.S. army, i felt comfortable around them. You can pay them to pose with you and they'll hang out with you, etc. if you approach them. I wish our society was like that. Now granted, the cities that are developing in India are a mess. The villages are beautiful and the modernized cities (delhi, bombay) are just like here, but the COUNTLESS developing cities=
. Cows, cow #, traffic, pollution, yelling but the people are still nice there

edit: Now i dunno bout religion here because its more of thing you do not live. but it works there, as one guy put it "the bussinesses are laid back, ppl are laid back because our day revolves around religion and prayer unlike the states. ANd there have been protests, etc. in the modernized cities against intl. corporations that do not respect that...John titor??? Religious socities??

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Sntzaow]

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Sntzaow]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
Excellent thread ! I've have been thinking about this for a long time. i too am in an office job 9-5 dealing with angry customers shouting at me down the phone all day. It does become a bit too much and i ask myself WHY? i look out of the window and think there has to be more to life than this, sitting in an office all day. The only thing that makes me go to work is i need the money to pay my bills etc. So i know i am trapped by society as it were. if i gave up my job i would have to sell my house and the clothes on my back. if i won the lottery i would leap at the chance to drop out of society as i want to explore life whilst i still can. I want to send more time in the outdoors as well, bonding with nature as it were. but i can't because i am imprisoned by society. I would suspect many people feel the same way. It's not that i am afraid of dropping out of society it is a question of the fact that i simply cannot afford to do it. the sad thing is multinationals know only two well that they've trapped us and will not have to worry about huge social upheaveals in the near future unless of course there is a worldwide event that rocks the world on it's axis !

These are the issues we face every day, some are deeper in them then others. Every one feel as if they are trapped by bills and obligations, I to am among many but I’m going to do my best to get in the clear to where I Owe nothing to anybody. No bills, no obligations of any kind then it off to the woods.

See that’s what they want from you to be trapped, keeping you in line, distracted from the truth. Its like being born a prisoner. When we really aren’t. I believe in being free but not the freedoms that has effected this country. It will be a battle to obtain it but its part of our nature. But when your fighting not for religion or money but for freedom, peaceful freedom not jus the illusion of it. You were free the moment you took your first breath on this earth. If you want to be caged then forfeit your life and bend over tails aside becuase I wont. They tried to do it to me in the Army but I said no.

Yeah I’m tired of being scared and timid. I know in us all that we have what it take to brake free. But its fear that keeps us on the leash.

Here there is certainty you’ll have a job, opportunity to learn and grow with the world even though its killing you from the inside. Then there’s out there the unknown the uncertain. Obstacles and trials, A grand adventure which teaches you what your really made of. Yeah it to is dark and dim and scary but that’s the point right?

I’m sure there are many who feel the same as we do but are to scared or distracted to admit or even think about it. I can’t give any really good example of the ideal society but for the most part we all know what is important. We just have to be brave and take the step forward.

As for starting a society out in the woods or on a deserted Island, people have to know what they really want. Yes the idea is romanticized and it sound great but what you think and want somethings going to be how you imagine it doesn’t always work out that way. When it doesn’t you question life even more.

Everyone has to have peace and harmony yet no matter how much money you have its still not good enough. We’ll figure it out. Start researching stuff, learn about first aid, survival tactics, agriculture. Stuff that will be useful and invaluable. Keep un open mind with nothing to bind or block your thoughts.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's called corporatism. It's what happens when corporations take over a capitalist society. It's bad, as our overweight, selfish, materialistic society has proven. It eventually leads to fascism in order for corporations to control the population as well as it's government. Well, that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by earth2
Im interested in where the village will be located.
A place were you can live without people messing with you, a place that has necesary recources to live.
The village?

Better find another country becuase once our government finds out there are people living in communes to seperate themselves from society, they are often labeled as compounds and/or cults and raided as such. I recommend Canada or the Yukon if you don't want to leave the U.S.

[edit on 27-6-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The question is not the best. Actually no one is quitting any sort of society and leave it forever, just step from one into another, new one. Those ones, whose want to step into another one, or create a new one, leave the old one, sees the bad, the rotten part of the current one and want a new society.

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Dark Crystalline]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join