It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Emergency Alert System Activated Today (6/26/07) By Presidential Code

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunarlunacy
Does anyone know what text (verbiage) was used in the message?

There was none. It actually happened twice around 7:30 here, and really annoyed me because it interupted the radio program I was listening to. Twice. The emergency signal went out, kept going for an unusually long time, and then the program picked back up. What I found most unusual about it was the lack of "This has been a test..." message afterwards. It went off, and nothing. The first time it did it, I changed radio stations after about 30 seconds, but the second time in 15 minutes had my attention until the irritating beeps just kept going and going.

I actually just realized that it was taking place on WYLL here in Chicago twice through that time, but when I turned the radio to K-Love, there was no emergency broadcast. K-Love's local station is based out of Elgin, which may have something to do with it. I dunno...

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Come on guys Mistakes happen, especially with lazy over paid government employee. Repeat after me. Not every thing is a conspiracy

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
forgive me but what is rats?
what thread are you guys talking about?

i swear i can not navigate this site....i would like to check out this rats area....someone please direct me?

thank you

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
ok, found it...how do you get a pass to check it out?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Doesn't everyone just love the way the world, information, security systems, message systems, and everything else is tied via the internet and computers?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Call wolf enough then the villigers won't come a running any more.

IRA must of called in 4 bomb warnings o every 1 actual bomb back in the day.

Also I understand one or two people cocking up, but wouldn't presedential codes need presedential authority? fishy fishy

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Could be just a mistake altogether.

Could be that it was a mistake while preforming a test for a future event. Who knows?

My money is on the fact that Obama has gained such great national acclaim. Maybe Washington just isn't ready for a black, or woman president ...

... but, I bet they get the code right when testing New York.

Wonder where those "nuke attacks" will show up ...

Speaking on the acceptance of Washington: Who wants to bet that Clinton gets the Democratic nomination instead of Obama? I've been a die-hard Democrat since I was born, but if Obama doesn't get it, I'm switching teams for Ron Paul. Anyone see the interview on G4 last night?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wow this is a bit odd.

Sure it could be chalked up to simple human error...but with a presidential code??

Could it have been a simple test of public awareness, fear mongering or worse, an early accidental input for a planned alert in the near future?

Could be an error though...just saying its odd.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
what exactly is a presidential code anyway, besides BEEP BEEP we are sorry to.. blahblahblahb BEEP BEEP. !!!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!??!??!?!?!?!? untz untz untz untz untz untz untz? right.?
right???
meow.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by lunarlunacy
Does anyone know what text (verbiage) was used in the message?

There was none. It actually happened twice around 7:30 here, and really annoyed me because it interupted the radio program I was listening to. Twice.en /quote] There was text that scrolled repeatedly.

As aired on WLSTV ABC7-------The Emergency Action Notification Network has issued an Emergency Action Notification for the United States beginning at 9:33 am and ending at 9:45am[WLSTV]

There is a video up at www.abc7chicago.com... and it states The President is the only one able to administer this real code script ----

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think this is the executive order that set up the capability demonstrated by this error.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Section 1. Policy. It is the policy of the United States to have an effective, reliable, integrated, flexible, and comprehensive system to alert and warn the American people in situations of war, terrorist attack, natural disaster, or other hazards to public safety and well-being (public alert and warning system), taking appropriate account of the functions, capabilities, and needs of the private sector and of all levels of government in our Federal system, and to ensure that under all conditions the President can communicate with the American people.

The DHS played a role in setting up this system, though I'm not sure who/where a "Presidential Code" would come from...still digging.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
been diggin':

It appears that whatever the reason for the test/slip-up, it began last year.

Source
But the White House order calls for "an integrated alert and warning system that reaches as many Americans as possible through as many forms of communication as possible -- television, radios, PDAs, cellphones, et cetera," said Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke. "We're talking about a quantum leap forward."

The program would be managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Analysts have said that bureaucratic inertia and turf fighting among government agencies and resistance from industry to new mandates have stymied changes since 2001.

It appears that it's only be in-advertenly activated two other times in 44 years. The second incident occured in 2005:

Source
On February 1, 2005 someone inadvertently activated an EAS message over radio and television stations in Connecticut telling residents to evacuate the state immediately. Officials at the Office of Emergency Management announced that the activation and broadcast of the Emergency Alert System was in error due to possibly the wrong button being pressed. "State police said they received no calls related to the erroneous alert."

And before that in 1971, when it was know as the Emergency Broadcast System:

Source
Despite these safeguards, the system was accidentally activated at 9:33 AM EST on February 20, 1971. A system operator accidentally "played the wrong tape" during a test of the system. As a result, an EBS activation message authenticated with the codeword "HATEFULNESS" was sent through the entire system, ordering stations to shut down and broadcast the alert of a national emergency. A cancellation message with the wrong codeword was sent at 9:59 AM EST, and a cancellation message with the correct codeword was not sent until 10:13AM EST. This false alarm demonstrated major flaws in the EBS system. Many stations had not received the alert, but more importantly, the vast majority of those that did ignored it. The only station in the country that shut down as mandated by FCC rules was WSNS-TV (Ch 44) in Chicago. The operations manager in charge refused to play the attack warning. Numerous investigations were launched but few changes were made to the EBS.

Funny that the last two times it was activated were with-in the last couple years. But, that could just be due to the new system. Suspicious anyhow. 34 years after the first false alarm - twice with-in the last couple years.

More can be found about the latest developments with this at:
www.whitehouse.gov...
www.whitehouse.gov...

edit: tjack beat me to one of the links above. props for the dig, tjack

[edit on 27-6-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Yep, that's an upgraded system, alright.

It's neat how it's always 'human error'. They act like this was the redial button on a cell phone.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Emergency alert system test just popped up for new york on my sirius radio, I've never heard it before in 2+years.

Although there was a voice that said it was a test, probably no relation just odd

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Strange that you mention this, because someones are tested our Air Raid / Nuke Warning Sirens too, all over in Budapest. You cannot miss it's voice. It was on yesterday too. Everyone heard it, but no one ever mentioned this in the main stream media. We've wondered why the sirens are sounding up suddenly, then after around 30 seconds they've gone silent. We thought something is happened, but then nothing. Then there was a second test an hour later, since then nothing again.

I don't know why, but I'm not believing in coincidences at all. Especially when two similar things are happening in two different city, which are lies app. 6000 miles away from each other. Others from Europe? Did anyone noticed something similar in his country?

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Dark Crystalline]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
Emergency alert system test just popped up for new york on my sirius radio, I've never heard it before in 2+years.

Although there was a voice that said it was a test, probably no relation just odd

that's funny.

Originally posted by tyranny22

... but, I bet they get the code right when testing New York.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This sure doesn't sound good to me.

I have a bad feeling that something is about to happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
CNN right now, 4pm

"NY Subway System suffers major power outage"

Related possibly?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well. Let's summarize the events what we're seeing just here at ATS. Iran and his allies are preparing for war, just as Israel, the U.S. and the allies. And as I read here yesterday, the war maybe going to start around the beginning of July. While they're denying it, strange, but in two cities, well until this time two known by me, Chicago and Budapest, the emergency signal and the air raid / nuke warning systems have been tested without any notice. So, I believe everyone is able to make his own conclusion after this.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Could anyone write in the name of the city after my one, where these things are happened, what exactly, where he experienced something similar yesterday? I'd like to see an overall picture about this. I'm starting it.

Budapest, Hungary, European Union (Air Raid / Nuke Warning Siren Test)

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Dark Crystalline]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join