It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Rumsfeld "Suggesting" Media Coverage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Today, Time magazine executives acknowledged that before they named the American soldier as "Person of the Year" for 2003, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld helped encourage that idea.

It seems that Rumsfeld offered what one anoymous participant to the Pentagon meetings between the Secretary(who was the candidate for the honor) and Time, some "free advice" as the meeting came to an end.

So, is this a case of the media being influenced by politics or not?

CCN Full Story:
www.cnn.com...

[Edited on 8-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 8 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Time Managing Editor James Kelly told CNN that Rumsfeld's unsolicited suggestion to honor the troops was the "first time in my recollection that someone who was obviously a candidate has volunteered someone else."

Kelly said the troops were already in the running, but that Rumsfeld's unprompted comment helped tipped the scale. "In my mind, there were two leading candidates," Kelly recalled, "the American soldier, and the secretary of defense. He did not know that, and in my meeting with him, he volunteered" that the honor should go to the American soldier.

So they were already considering either the 'American soldier' or Bumsfelt anyway.

Maybe they should change the name of the magazine to 'Suck up Time'

new topics

join