It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parthenogenesis! Do you know what it is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Wow This is rocking stuff.

news.wired.com...

Parthenogenesis is another name for asexual reproduction and there is a mounting amount of evidence that sharks can do it!

Is this something that has developed out of necessity or have sharks always had the ability to reproduce at will.

Is the dawn of the shark people just around the corner?

Will the Chinese start asexual shark farms so they can eat their fins? (It dosen't really taste of anything to be honest.)

What other creatures are capable of parthenogenesis?

Is parthenogenesis a cool word or what?

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The article said this:

Asexual reproduction is common in some insect species, rarer in reptiles and fish, and has never been documented in mammals. Until now, sharks were not considered likely candidates.

I know aphids can do it -- they're creepy bugs. The females are born pregnant. They can use males, but they don't need them. And an awful pest these are, too, on crops.

so, I guess other species can do it.

Since there would be no male contributor of DNA I'm assuming that the shark pup was a female as well.

It's like the old joke about Jesus' middle name. (You know, when people say "Jesus H. Christ.") H stands for Haploid.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Sure I saw that bit!! I meant creatures like female humans and aliens and things like that.

If they could breed all by themselves then us guys would be out on our ears cos I sure don't like house work or taking a bath or being at all useful in any way shape or form!

Could be the end of the age of man!

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Sure I saw that bit!! I meant creatures like female humans and aliens and things like that.

If they could breed all by themselves then us guys would be out on our ears cos I sure don't like house work or taking a bath or being at all useful in any way shape or form!

Could be the end of the age of man!

We would all have to learn to shop for shoes, gossip and give manicures. If we do these things, we may have a chance!

top topics

join